1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoodoo Gurus "The Right Time" using my 23 Window for Rock Video

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by Barney Barndoor, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor Active Member

The Legendary Aussie Rock Band THE HOODOO GURUS were after a Split Windscreen Kombi with quote "Those opening front windscreens" back in 1993 for there new hit single "THE RIGHT TIME".

After their agent contacted several VW Clubs for the whereabouts of the right vehicle. I then received a phone call.

I was offered a fair sum of Money for the time & accomodation, meals, etc. then I was faxed details were to meet for a 2 day film shoot.

Location = Largs NSW (A small town near Maitland)

When my Girlfriend (now Wife) & I rolled into the town of Morpeth Early one Saturday Morning to meet the Film Crew & Band to their delight got more windows than they bargained for a whole 23 of them. They were very impressed to say the least.

Hoodoo Gurus Bass Guitarist Rick Grossman is doing the driving & Drummer Mark Kingsmill is the passenger in the following images.

To see the Music Video go to the Youtube link below.

I will upload more images shortly

so in the meantime Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Debstar, BusyBear and Syncro27 like this.
  2. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

:cool:One of my fav guru songs too.....and there are a few nice toys in that clip.

Debstar likes this.
  3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

The question is, what happened to the 23 window?

4. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

hoodoos rock

barney

u must have had a blast , I love the hoodoos, I was around when they released their first album 'Stoneage Romeos' back in the 80s

this album is excellent too!

paul

5. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

Hoodoo Gurus

Are on at the RSL Caloundra 29 Aug I think

6. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

welcome mate..thats cool:cool:

7. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Well that's just awesome.

Rev.

8. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Awesome - I just booked to see them in Toowoomba on September 18

9. Barney Barndoor

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  10. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

I was racking my brain a few months back. I remembered a split in a hoodoos clip but couldn't remember the song. Now I can sleep again :)

11. aircooled_nut

aircooled_nut Member

Hi, I just came across this thread and was wondering if you knew the exact colour of the Kombi? My friend is making a scale model of it and said it was hard to judge the colour because it changes with every scene!
    Cheers

12. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

very cool Barney.
    ill start a new post with my mates pats 67 splitty panel van being used in a music film clip
    as well.
    see if you can spot the car...

13. Barney Barndoor

G'day mate... Yes my 23 window Kombi was Tuquoise / Ivory..... In regards to the model I have a replica myself.. & I own the original magnets which were given to me after production by the Gurus... Your friend is welcome to make a model of it based on the images provided on below Facebook link for his personal use only (please confirm his intention ?)..... But not to produce & sell as there is copyright held over this... Please post up a pic of your friends model when finished would love to see it.....

Here's a link to my full story via my Facebook group "Period VW Kombi Photographs - Australia"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/284501525063920/search/?query=Hoodoo gurus

Cheers Barney

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  14. dufasdave

dufasdave New Member

Barney, aircooled nut posted that I was enquiring about the colour of this van. From all the pics I have found and the video clip, I was pretty certain it was turquoise. Thank you for clarifying that. The pics and video clip certainly did not give away the true colour of it as it seemed to change colour under certain filming conditions and time of day. As a diehard Hoodoo Gurus fan, I am simply building this replica for my own interest so rest assure its not for any other reason. I will certainly post some pics once its built for you. I also want to build the manx when I can find a model kit to base it on. I am now a member of this forum so I will stay in touch. Once again thanks.
    Dufasdave

15. Barney Barndoor

No worries Dufasdave.... Looking forward to seeing your Hoodoo Gurus Kombi mate..

Cheers Barney

16. dufasdave

dufasdave New Member

I should have asked in previous message but what colour was/is the interior??

17. dufasdave

dufasdave New Member

Barney, progress on this build has been a bit slow. I need a little help if I can. You say it is turquoise, do you have a clear photo of your VW, not the film clip shots? Also are the bumpers and the wheels white or ivory? And what colour was the interior? Sorry to be a pain but when I build a replica, I like oit to be as close to the real item as possible. Cheers.

18. Barney Barndoor

19. dufasdave

dufasdave New Member

Finally finished my scaled replica of the VW used in the "The Right Time" video clip. Here it is:[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

Barney Barndoor and Squalo like this.
  20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Gotta laugh - in the vid .... winding the crank start anti clockwise @ 2.04