1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hose to no where

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by newbi, Nov 16, 2021.

1. newbi

newbi Member

pic4.jpeg Pic3.jpeg Hi all, trying to get some help with a hose im not sure where it connects to, ive attached some pic showing where it comes from and where i think it goes
    iv only had kombi 3 weeks and im no mechanic, im not bad on an old holden motor but this thing has me beat
    its a 1975 T2 bay 2ltr motor, i changed the fuel hoses (1 had a hole in it and i ran out of petrol lol), change the distributor, ignition leads & spark plugs, fuel filter, alternator fan belt and air filter
    after all that i could work out where this hose goes, i think i do but it would need a connector.
    its not running as good as was before i did all that, slow out of 2,3 and 4th gears and wont go over 80kph and slows down considerably up hills
    any help would be much appreciated

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2021
  2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Cliff, it goes to the oil breather - it's right behind it in your picture. Patrick

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

considering you've been working on the fuel side as well as the spark side it makes it a bit harder to diagnose from my armchair.

did all of your spark plugs go in nicely?
    are all of the leads on securely?
    on the correct plugs?
    timing correct (why did you change the distributor)?

any chance you got bits of bad hose into one of the carbies?

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. newbi

newbi Member

Hi Patrick, i thought it went there but there isnt a connecter on it to fit as they are the same size, ill try and something to make it fit

5. newbi

newbi Member

spark plugs went in good,
    leads are on but ill re check them
    im pretty sure there on correct plugs
    timing i think is right, i lined it up and borrowed the gun to see the mark but noticed it said to be 5 degrees out ??? is this correct or should i line it up
    i got carried away with changing distributor, should of saved my money, had trouble with o ring getting caught when putting on
    not sure if bits of hose got in carbies, had a hole in fuel line but dont think any would of got to carbies, next will be a carbie kit i think

6. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

timing should probably be 7 degrees before top dead centre on that one ... start with that and checking the leads ... can always put the old distributor back on ... was the new one 'too cheap'?

7. newbi

newbi Member

is was $99 from rightous kombis, how far away would 7 degrees be

8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

$99 is cheap ... might be your problem but check other stuff first

7 degrees btdc is about a centimetre to the left

IMG_20211116_190006.jpg

9. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

i assume the new distributor has points (for that money)

you can check your timing statically. take your distributor cap off so you can hear/see the points spark

with the ignition on, slowly turn the engine clockwise (by hand) and the points should spark when you are at 7 degrees before top dead centre ... adjust as necessary

Wiz likes this.
  10. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

back to your hoses --- in your second picture you are showing the charcoal canister - that's not the hose that comes all the way to the front is it? the hose from the charcoal canister goes to the top of the air filter ... right behind the fan. the hose from the crankcase breather goes to another connection on the right hand side of the air filter

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  11. newbi

newbi Member

Ok , i deffently got those hose's wrong, im not sure there is a hose going from breather to air filter, thanks heaps for your help, im prob a bit over 1 cm from left so ill look into that and prob change the distributor

12. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Wayne murray and Wiz like this.
  13. newbi

newbi Member

yep ive got to replace them, the last owner liked his duct tape lol
    i can not find anywhere for the hose from the charcoal canister to plug into air filter, and i can not where to plug a hose from crankhouse breather to the air filter (atm theres no hose even there), iv attached pic of air filter, maybe you help from that

14. newbi

newbi Member

pic5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2021
  15. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

+1
    Lots of rubber bits to inspect/replace to eliminate all possible leaks! Have you checked the one behind the spare wheel?
    PR

16. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Cliff,
    on the top right closest to you theres a barb for the charcoal canister hose.

the other barb on the rear right is for the crankcase breather ... I see it has a hose on it ... where does it go? not to the barb to the left of the coil by any chance? The barb to the left of the coil is the fresh air hose that goes to the left side of the charcoal canister

Patrick

17. newbi

newbi Member

pic6.jpeg
    pic5.jpeg

18. newbi

newbi Member

thats the hose connected to air filter, thats where it was connected when i bought it

19. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

that hose from the barb near the coil seems to have a joiner up above the air filter. disconnect it there and connect it to the left side of the charcoal canister. the other end will go down to the oil breather

so ..
    barb near coil to left side of charcoal canister
    right side of charcoal canister to top of air filter
    oil breather to right side of air filter

20. newbi

newbi Member

so ill just go 1 hose at a time, next pic is "barb near coil to left side of charcoal canister

pic7.jpeg