1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hose to no where

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by newbi, Nov 16, 2021.

1. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

These are the fuel vapour lines, I know this doesnt show the canister, but it does show the red 24 that is up behind the wheel well in the engine bay and causes lots of problems.

Have a look at Ratwell.com and in there are diagrams of hoses plus lengths etc. Bear in mind it is an American site and they went to FI rather than carbs after 74. It still has great info and there is still a lot of info relevant.

Adrian

3. newbi

newbi Member

this is the hose from oil breather (crank house breather) to back of air filter box

pic8.jpeg

pic9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2021
    tintop likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

correct

5. newbi

newbi Member

OK , so now its just the hose on right side of charcoal cannister to air filter, problem is i can not find anywhere for it to plug into...

6. newbi

newbi Member

so this 1st pic shows top of filter box, ive circle a spot where a hose could go but it would need something to plug into it for hose to fit on as 2nd photo will show

7. newbi

newbi Member

8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

yep, that's the spot ... you might have to make something (polypipe fitting?)

another option is to delete the charcoal canister (now you know all the connections :)) ... many don't have them - they just connect the small vacuum hose from that duct taped tee piece straight to that air filter spot - probably push right in

I like the idea of a charcoal canister even if it just reduces the possibility of any potential flames from the carbies from getting to the tank breather (not it's intended purpose)

9. newbi

newbi Member

thanks heaps for your help, learnt a lot today, ill try and jerry rig something to fit pipe in air filter. Took it for a drive this arvo and it went alittle better i think, still can not get over 80kph, i would think a 2ltr would be able to get to 100??
    do you think Bursons would have a T pc to fit a kombi, i rang and he said to bring it in and they will have a look, just kampers has it but it cost more for delivery then the part and id prob have to wait a week to get it
    im going to look at carbies on weekend, place where i bought distributor from said prob need to tune carbies after replacing the distributor

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Are you getting full throttle?
    Really need to know what the max advance of the distributor is (32-ish)

if that pic above is showing a dizzy with a gold clear cap - throw it in the bin now. Rubbish is too kind a word. Sorry but who knows what it is doing.

Is the vacuum working?

oldman likes this.
  11. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

didn't you say it was running better before? or is the car too new to you to be sure? yeah you should be able to do 120 to 130 depending on your gearbox ratio ... have you put the old distributor back on? high tension leads to correct plugs, timing correct (and advance as per above post)

oldman likes this.
  12. newbi

newbi Member

its going better then before i changed distributor untill it gets to 80kph, even with foot flat to floor it wont go any faster, ill put the old distributor back on this weekend and check the timimg as a mate has the gunn thing, and ill have to find out which leads goto which plugs to see if i have it right, whats the best way to find out

13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

1-4-3-2

846135.jpg

further to Barry's comment ... put a brick on the accelerator (engine off) and make sure the carbies are opening completely

Patrick

KahunaKombi, oldman and Barry like this.
  14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I reckon the leads may not be on the correct plugs….
    A 2ltr should roar freely when you rev. it .
    Only use correct parts that are matched to the engine…..cheap dizzy/carbs etc. only end in grief.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred and Barry like this.
  15. newbi

newbi Member

lucifer hit the 100kph this morning, :D
    i want to thank everyone for there help

David H, oldman and Barry like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@newbi

well done - note everything so as you have a base line as reference

17. oldman

So what was the issue….?
    Asking so that others get an insight into troubleshooting…..
    It’s how we all learn here ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

18. newbi

newbi Member

the only thing i did was disconnect hoses that were in wrong spots and put them in correct

Mordred, KahunaKombi and David H like this.
  19. newbi

newbi Member

Pic12.jpeg Pic13.jpeg

so Lucifer was running real well for a few days, i went to brothers on saturday and no problems, however on leaving it didnt start great, had no power up hills (i had to pull over to let cars go by), stalled at every set of lights and just struggled the whole way home
    im going to check the carbies and put a kit through both and hopefully sinc them
    iv attached a photo as this is worrying me, its how it was when i bought it but i think the black stuff is wearing away - honestly im not sure if this would affect the running of the kombi but maybe someone knows
    any help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2021
  20. oldman

Before you do anything to the carbs., I would advise that you change your fuel filter.
    There's every chance that it may have a partial filter blockage with rust, dirt particles or water from the fuel tank.
    Once it's swapped out, cut the old one open.....you'll be amazed at how much crap these things stop.
    Also worth draining the float bowls down....
    Start with the simple stuff first.
    Cheers,
    Mark