How can I tell if it is an Australian delivery or OS import?

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Leighton, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Leighton

Leighton Member

Hi Just seeing if anyone can help me with Australian delivery and OS import for split ute single or double?

Yes I know the steering wheel will give it away but it looks like the tool chest under tray can be on both sides? What is the correct side for Australia?

Sorry I am new to Split Screen world.

Thanks Leighton

2. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Generally the treasure chest is on the left hand side for Aussie RHD single cab splits. Seem to recall there was an option for double treasure chest doors on German made single cabs. Given a lot of "modifications" could have taken place over the past 50 years or so, your best way of working out whether it's an import or Aussie built is to have a look in the engine bay just below the fuel tank and see what ID numbers you find. For a split DC the storage compartment is underneath the rear seat.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Grantus likes this.
  3. Leighton

Leighton Member

Thanks so much Ted for the info. looking forward to checking them out and trying to see if it is an Australia delivery.

4. Leighton

Leighton Member

Does anyone Know much about the Brazil imports? what are they like and what are they worth? Do they hold value or just a waste of time? Thanks

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have a chat with Stuart from Kombi Frolics.
    He goes over to hand pick his so will have an idea of general state of the market.

I would be very wary buying one at auction in Au or from Bali without going over it VERY thoroughly.

goodfella likes this.
  6. Ted2

Ted2 Member

Depends on what you want and your budget. Brazilian "splitties" were built way past the Oz cutoff of 1967. So be careful what you're looking at. Some horrid stories of some Indo & Brazilian buses being imported. Again be very careful. At the end of the day you need to view the bus in person, unless you trust the seller implicitly.

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Aussie splits also have a K code stamped in the engine bay in the rough vicinity of the chassis number. Mine was a K#### but not sure if they come with more or less numbers as well.

Generally this code seems to be applied by heinously drunk apprentices as they are never neat or straight.

8. Leighton

Leighton Member

Thanks for the info. The bus was bought from kombi frolics and is currently being sold by the first/second owner in Aus. Are there many Brazilian Splits in AUS and are they worth the some coin?

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Can't say how many but been some auctioned in crap condition blinged over and seems they are the basis of some of the Bali imports and some dodgy operators here which are best given a wide berth.
    I'm not familiar enough with the spectrum but certainly they are valued considerably less than an american import or Aussie built/ import.
    It would be rather dependent on the specific example.
    The split crew will be better positioned to give opinion.
    Cheap way to have a split. Buyer beware.
    The two factors in my mind are don't expect them to have same resale or ponse value as other options but if its to enjoy then who cares.
    Biggest concern would be condition under bog n bling of average example on the market.

If originaly sold by Stuart best option is talk to him.
    He will be able to give a heads up on its provenance and approximate / comparative values.
    He spends a fair bit of time picking better examples and much more informed than anything I can suggest.

Better option than a straight auction punt or importing yourself .

10. Leighton

Leighton Member

Thanks for your words of wisdom. Will do my research.