1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you make a resto tax deductable??

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by terbear, Jan 25, 2010.

1. terbear

terbear Member

Some smart person out there has to know how to do it???? :) :confused:

2. emby

emby Active Member

I wonder if you registered it for a business? Maybe a wedding or advertising vehicle?

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Use it for business purposes only, would be one way....;)

But you may have to prove that you need a vehicle like that for work - could be a bit difficult with a camper..:rolleyes:

4. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Use it for business purposes only, yes true
    & then you can only claim for half I was told by my acountant...keep all records & receipts

5. terbear

terbear Member

Half is good....

6. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

But you will have to derive some income to offset it against. You could I suppose put it in your partners name, sell it to yourself, pay the stamp duty and then claim it for work related expenses though the log book method or percentage of purchase price

7. kombijon

kombijon Member

is it possible to register a splitty as an investment? claim tax relief on restorations and servicing etc, then pay capital gains when its sold? just a thought.

8. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I did hear that this is possible but you are not allowed to use it as its an investment.

So you can do it then put it in a museum.
    But wheres the fun in that

Driven Not Hidden

Dave

9. kombijon

kombijon Member

so how about calling it an investment, claiming the resto tax etc, then,
    un-call it an investment and use it?
    or sell it to your partner at a loss and claim negative gearing from your "loss"

10. jb4845

jb4845 Member

My understanding is that you are not allowed to claim expenses related to the restoration of a vehicle even if it is registered under a company name - although you can claim the cost of repairs - so this is where you need to get 'creative' with your repairer.

For example, after owning it for a period (in the company name) surely replacing the shocks (and lowering it at the same time) must be a repair :D

Or if it fails it's rego check due to rust, then repairing this and having the offending area repainted must also be a repair (to get it roadworthy again, of course).

Things like rebuilding th engine can be a bit trickier, but 'servicing' of these foreign vehicles can be expensive!

And I lost count of the money I needed to spend on repairs to my other company owned car - damn those shopping centre car-parks ;)

Just keep things reasonable and there should be a way to cover at least some of the costs.

11. alienboy

alienboy Member

What about to advertise a business, a surf shop, bus is parked on the street next to the water in that salt air.
    Would need regular repair especially if you transport surfer dudes who want to test out their new boards and you run em to the surf beach
    you know, needs to be safe, cant have rust, scratches, brakes, sloppy suspension,
    sluggish engine, XLNT idea guys... Im going to think on this...

12. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

My business includes manufacturing and selling alot of VW decals so I reckon I could get away with it?