1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many kilometers have you done in the kombi ?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by beerboy, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Gus Bus was poster child for Mardi Grass FB_IMG_1500012391999.jpg

77/kombi/surfer and David H like this.
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Betsy my '77 pop top and I have done over 300,000 km all over Australia since 2001 .
    I won't say they have all been trouble free kms but they have been lots of fun.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Wayne murray and David H like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Not so much the miles just lots of years doing & enjoying them :rolleyes:! Been the best fun for a life time.:D
    Cheers

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Do Kms on the back of a tow truck count:eek::confused::oops:

Jerome likes this.
  5. David H

No:(:mad::confused:! Only had a kombi of mine towed or flat bedded after the 2 fires!
    Okay take 20km off my total!!;) or fail to add that on!
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Wayne murray likes this.
  6. David H

Hi Betsy,
    No 'liking' some posts just cos you experienced the recent 'flat bed ride'.!!:rolleyes::oops:
    Cheers:D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Wayne murray likes this.
  7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I was hoping with my DC the amount of KMs it spend on the back of a truck getting it sent over from Adelaide.That's at least 1600 km. Worth of free points without doing the K's.Dame I knew it wouldn't work.:(:rolleyes:. Any way I wasn't having a go at anybody or thinking down that line ,since you mentioned it :D.

David H likes this.
  8. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

bought it in 2007 with 35,000 on the clock, watch it 3 times around the clock and sitting on about 85660 again now, so about 350,000 in 10 yrs, mostly as daily driver with a couple of trips down south.

David H likes this.
  9. David H

Hi glow-monkey,
    Do that for 30 years & you'll beat my mileage by a mile or two;). Or 6ok.
    Cheers

10. Loy

Loy New Member

Woahhhh!! That is a lot! Many months ago, I met some who owns a Toyota land cruiser with 300,000 plus kilometres!

11. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

Not run in for a Landcruiser ;)
    PR

12. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Jerome,
    Pats 67 splitty Gusbus (Nimbin poster bus) has never been out of registration since being decommissioned from p.m.g. with original yellow rego plates.
    Pats owned it for over 28 years and used to drive it to Sydney for work over 120klm per day , 5days a week with reduction hubs for over 10 years .It still is his daily driver most of the time .

13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

geez, my Kombi camping spots in the 75 have always been closer to home... I tidied it up for a couple of years and put it back on the road in 2014 and have only done 11,181 km

burrinjuck 1.jpg

I did 3,599 km around town in my old ute
    IMG_20190107_112343.jpg

I didn't keep records for my green, black or yellow ones
    snow.jpg

Patrick

Wayne murray, oldman and Grantus like this.
  14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't tell you.
    I only look at the odometer now, to plan the next service.....:)
    Many great road trip memories attest to the k's rolled over.
    Cheers,
    Mark

15. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

We got the current kombi just before Christmas, almost two years ago ... just as the apocalyptic bushfires were burning, so we didn't go anywhere for a while.

We finally got away on what turned out to be the last weekend before the lockdown started. Then we didn't go anywhere for a while.
    Then the borders opened, briefly, and we did some small trips from the Gold Coast into NSW. Then the borders shut again.
    We can, and do, go north but it's not really practical for short trips.

So, all told, in 2 years, we've done about 12km.*

*Okay, a few more than that, but only a couple of thousand.

16. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Our Kombi has 27392 km on the odometer, we have clocked it 3 times since we bought it and back tracing the service dockets that came with Kombi and rego records, it looks to have done over 600,000 when we bought it.

So we are hoping to keep it on the road with the ICE motor in it for another 72,608km so we can clock up the 1 million kms on it before I do the complete resto and convert it to electric.

I'll need to strip off all the panels I can remove to get down to the structural body section, Konbi has some rather ominous creaks and groans that sound very much like cracks or popped spot welds that I can't see clearly from the outside skins, so I'm guessing they are deeper in.
    The gearbox was replace before we bought it, the 1800 out and a 2 ltr in it's place, the original 1800 with matching engine numbers to chassis numbers reached the point where another tunnel bore was just asking too much ... I still have the cases, I was looking at rebuilding that motor if I ever went on the car show thing and took it off the road rather than the daily driver .... but it is just too much fun to drive to consider mothballing it .....

T1 Terry

17. Loy

Loy New Member

?? Toyota/Lexus cars can go up to 300,000 plus.. There's this Lexus from the early nineties.. Done a million miles and still going.. I don't know how it lasted so long.

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

As this thread has been revived, I have to update the figures, and have burnt another 3,750 litres of fuel through the bus since the last post….. but probably the same amount through the Single Cab as well, as my travel time is now shared between the two.

Kanga Banga Odometer now reads 450,425 kms….. :)

I must admit, the $2.02 per litre for BP 98 I bought yesterday, is an eye opener to the cost of any long haul trips! :eek:

19. Loy

Loy New Member

Woohoo... Close to 500,000km! You might go into the book of records.

20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Keep them long enough, and it’s inevitable I guess.

BTW, welcome to the Kombi Club Loy. :)

Are you a Kombi driver, or looking to be one?

What’s your current ride? We all love pics here, so maybe start a thread in the “members rides” forum……

Or just a post about how you found KC, and bit about yourself in the “new members” thread, so everyone can welcome you aboard. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the ride…….. ;)