1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to catch a Feral Peacock??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 2slow, Dec 14, 2008.

1. 2slow

2slow Member

Does anyone know the best way to catch a Peacock that has decided to hang around. I am very keen to re-locate the rotton thing!! And now his girlfriend has turned up after about 12 months so she needs to go to.

He is not tame and I am not even sure where he spends his days now, what I do know is he roosts in a big gum tree in our back yard.

Thanks

Bobby

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Maybe WIRES can help seeing as its a native bird?

3. 2slow

2slow Member

Native if you live in India...a feral pest if you live anywhere else in the world.

4. melissa

Oh ok. I just thought they were from here - yes I am thick and its been a long day ..LOL

5. 2slow

2slow Member

ha ha, dont worry Melissa its been a long day for me to after being woken up all night again by the damn thing! I hear they are nice oven roasted though. I dont mind being woken up by native birds or Koalas etc.. but these things are $&&&^%%%*

Bobby

6. melissa

Well that would make a different Christmas dinner Bobby! - even bigger than a turkey!!! LOL

7. greenbay

greenbay New Member

If you dress in brown feathers ,act submissive,stick your ass in the air and whistle like a pea hen you're a fair chance of it getting close enough for you to crash tackle it:lol:

8. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I hate peacocks. I used to have a house that backed onto a nature reserve. Fires went through the reserve and the peacocks reloacted, one to my front deck. Nothing like being woken at 5am every morning by the crow of a peacock, just like a rooster. Oh, and it made a mess of the deck. Peacock poo is not pleasant at all.

9. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

I rang the council (both actually as I was on the border), parks and wildlife, the RSPCA, and anyone else I could think of and no-one wanted to know about it. It eventually left of its own accord after having many objects thrown at it from the bedroom window.

10. melissa

Bobby! Just thought of a perfect christmas pressie for you!!

A slingshot! ;)

11. hels

hels New Member

Not sure if they will take more but Alma Park Zoo has some - might be worth a call...

12. Alice77

Alice77 New Member

Peacock

Keep it!!!,
    When people drive pass theyll think
    "oooh there classy and rich, they must be english scollars from Cainbridge"..
    all you need now are the phesents:)

13. 2slow

2slow Member

ha ha ha, sounds like your speaking from experience there!! I wish it was 5.00 am, try anywhere from 11.00pm to 3.00am for hours on end and the ultimate torture is he gives you just enough time to start to drift off and starts up again.

Good idea Melisssa, the guy across the road is a retired Vet who mentioned he might have to pull his slingshot out to encourage it to leave. Do they make .222 slingshots now?

To make matters worse I just opened the front door and there was a cat there, time to borrow a cat trap from the council I think. Last time we had a cat around here we lost a Bandicoot, a Carpet Snake and a ring tail in the space of about a week, and these are only the bodies I found littered around the yard so I hate to think what else was killed.

14. melissa

Maybe the cat will take care of the peacock problem ;)

15. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

12 bore.
    One barrel each.
    Use birdshot or the lumps of lead will stick between your teeth.
    I would suggest a garlic sauce and a light gravy but an apple/clove sauce will work as well.
    About 40 mins per kilo, baste well and don't let it get too dry (like cooking a goose).
    Serve with roasted and steamed vegetables.

Ray & da Boyz

16. 2slow

2slow Member

My oven is not big enough for it, so might have to chuck it in the Weber....mmmm slow cooked peacock, imagine the drum sticks!

17. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I found a great product at Bunnings to deter Possums, its called Poss-Off.
    I guess the equivalent deterrent for a Peacock is Pea-Off...:umm: .
    Steve

18. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

Haha that's a great idea! I thought that too when I camped at this place once...all these peacocks strutting around, I was thinking how pleasant until the middle of the night when they started making the most horrible crying noise!

Hope you work something out!

19. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

20. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member