How to fit an electronic ignition

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by felixqld66, Jul 30, 2007.

1. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Fitting a Compufire DIS-X Electronic Ignition to a type 4 motor

I wanted to change over to an electronic ignition system after having problems starting in cold damp conditions. The bus has Bosch 009 distributors so no vacuum advance. After researching the options I purchased the premium option from Compufire the DIS-X Kit.

Without repeating the entire instructions I will just summarise the fitting procedure as it went for me. It is important to note that I have never worked on a vw motor before, I did play around with old holdens in my teens 20 years ago. I consider myself handy but not really mechanical.

The Kit included

1 x mounting bracket

1 x replacement electronic distributor top cap
    (blue alloy with electronics sealed into it)

1 x 4 post coil pack with electronic tacho output included

1 x uni-directional replacement rotor cap

4 x new ignition leads

1 x matching wire connector for the power in feed

4 x allen headed bolts to connect the coil pack to its mounting bracket

1 x set of excellent instructions

The kit did not include bolts for connecting the mounting bracket in the engine compartment or the small clips for tying ignition cables together for a clean look ( these were taken from the exsisting set up.)

[​IMG]

Here’s how it happened ( the kit was fiited in a campground with no special workshop)

1. Get a solid dose of encouragement from a few Kombi owners keen to do the same to their own and want to assist a guinea pig.
    2. Stand around umm and ahh for a good while.
    3. Realize that you forgot your tools.
    4. Start anyway so you can work out what you are going need too find as far as tools go. ( I later assembled them for the photo)They included

• Stubby Philips & Flat Screwdrivers
    • 22mm open ended spanner (for turning the motor over to fire on #1)
    • 3mm Allen Key
    • 10mm open ended spanner
    • Wire cuter/crimper
    • Wrench with 10mm &12mm sockets
    • Small Rubber mallet

The following tools were extras need to make a bracket for the type 4 motor as the kit was made for the upright motor. Because of this the coil pack could not be mounted on the fan shroud as described in the instructions.

• Hacksaw for cutting the alloy angle for the bracket mounts.
    • A file to clean up the cut alloy edges.
    • A drill and drill bit to drill holes to fit the mounting angles.

[​IMG]

5. I took photos of the motor before I started so that I could put it back if it didn’t work. ( full of confidence) Then I started taking stuff off.

[​IMG]

The electrical conections

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  2. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

6. Removed the
    • Battery terminals
    • Breather hoses
    • Air cleaner
    • Right heater hose
    • Coil
    • Distributor cap
    • Rotor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Then I stuffed a couple of socks onto the tops of the carbies so that nothing would fall into them.

8. Because of the type 4 motor a bracket had to be made to mount the coil pack and that was cut from some 40mm x 3mm alloy angle 2 pieces at about 120mm long.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2018
  3. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

9. These were drilled to accept the bracket that came with the kit and the holes used above the fan to secure it. Then fitted to the coil pack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

With the dizzy cap etc removed the rotor was put back in place and the motor was hand cranked to line up the rotor with the mark on the distributor to indicate firing on #1 cylinder.

11. Once that was done the rotor was replaced with the magnetic rotor from the kit pushed on by hand using the original rotor then tapped home with the rubber mallet.

[​IMG]

The new distributor top cap was put in place.

13. The coil pack was mounted the leads were exchanged and connected to plugs/coil pack.( As it was made for a upright motor one of the leads did not fit and I have used on of the original ones and will get a custom one made when I get the timing checked with a light. That is why on is black and doesn’t quite cover the coil post.)

14. The dizzy cap was connected to the coil pack and the +ive electrics were connected to the lead on the coil pack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Electrics connected

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connected the battery and fired it up. It went first time. Feeling confident now it was time to refit the breather, heater hoses and air cleaner.

16. Not having a timing light the various kombi gurus listened and the bus was taken for a road test. It was pinging so the timing was adjusted and another test run and it was running great.

Extra stuff I had to buy to make it work on the type 4 motor where

• 2 x 100mm x 6mm bolts
    • 1m of alloy angle 40mm x 3mm
    • 2 x 20mm x 10mm bolts for mounting

[​IMG]

The electrical connections will be placed in a plastic box to tidy them up they are currently insulated in electrical tape. It has been a great success. Previously the bus has only failed to start on cold wet mornings and fortunately the weather turned wet and cold the next morning and it passed with flying colours. The car turns over very easily now in all conditions. It has also lost its flat spot at take off.

Thanks for all the help from those who will remain nameless.

Cheers Alex

6. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex thats a great post it will come in very handy when Adrian attempts to put one in Wilbur. We will soon be able to tell if he was being a good pupil on the day and paying attention.

Thanks Michelle & Adrian

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

That's an unreal post Alex - love the pictures and the blow by blow description.

You and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did an excellent job. You'll have us all lining up at the next KC weekend get together asking for one now that you're an expert!

Kyra :)

8. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Happy to chat to anyone about the process! If you are local always happy to lend a hand.

Cheers Alex

9. Blue76Bay

Blue76Bay New Member

The world famous 009 distributor flat spot :(

It looks as though this setup is using the 009 distributor purely as a trigger and doesn't rely on the weights and spring for the advance curve. It is using the electronics to calculate the advance curve hence the flat spot has disappeared. From the picture it is also using a wasted spark setup to fire the plugs so no need for a rotor. You have virtually eliminated the mechanical function of your old distributor. This is a very nice set up indeed!! Well done!

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

You are tempting me. No more points to adjust would be a good thing! Any other recomendations? What is "the Best" lecky ignition? and how much??

11. nice tip!

geez great thread mate!

12. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Best $281 I have spent in a long time after US$ conversion and delivered to my door in about 10 days. If anyone wants it I can email the contact details for the guy in america.

Cheers Alex

13. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Tidy up of the electrics

Had a bit of time today and tidied up the electrics to complete the installation. Was going to put it in a box but don't think it is necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am super impressed with the starting performance of my daily driver now. Cold and wet were a problem for it now no longer.

This week we have had over 3000mm of rain that is 3 meters of rain and the kombi has to unfortunately at this point stay out in it. It has started first time everytime during the torrential rain.

14. Jehd

Jehd New Member

very interesting.

I am trying to find more information about what is actually going on inside. There website is rather uninformative. I did manage to find the instuctions

http://www.compufire.com/pdf-instructions/51105-DIS-IX_DISTRIBUTORLES.PDF

but not much else.

i have a 009 since my carbs don't have a vac advance. getting rid of the flat spot would be awesome!

Any other performance increases?

15. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

[/QUOTE] i have a 009 since my carbs don't have a vac advance. getting rid of the flat spot would be awesome!

Any other performance increases?[/QUOTE]

Hey Jedh

The bus is running really well the motor was strong before the new ignition and continues to perform well running smooth from start up in all weather conditions I hae been meaning to look att the fuel economy now but I haven't got around to it.

I was most interested in the starting reliability aspect and it was a bonus to get rid of he flat spot.

Cheers Alex

16. Westylad

Westylad New Member

That is a rather fabulous workbench under those glisteningly clean tools. Bit of a woodie hmmmm? Did you make it yourself? More pics if you did!

I have a '76 2l that has an intermmittemtly ocurring annoying misfire at medium throttle. Once I recondition the carbies a 'lectric ignition was next to try. Thanks for the excellent DIY mate.

Dennis

17. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Yes I am a woodie but the bench is at work and I didn't make it - very well spotted though.

Cheers Alex

18. Westylad

Westylad New Member

Ah-ha. Thanks. Is it one of those flash mail-order benches or did someone there make it?

19. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Got the bench from a company called carbatec they are on the net.

Cheers Alex

20. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Nice post, i was quoted $300 to have EI conversion done by my mechanic in Toowoomba, I think i will play the lazy game and pay the extra $20 to let him do it, although i might have to look into what kit he plans to install, I like the way yours works.

cheers Glen