1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to repair a roof rack?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Jenny Frappell, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Jenny Frappell

Jenny Frappell Active Member

Hi Kombi folk.
    I just bought a 2nd roof rack for Bindi, to cart my SUP on if I do a trip North in the future. It looks like a Chinese brand, 'Houying'. It has a little rust and paint of on some edges.
    Do I steel brush and dust.
    Paint with a rust kill?
    Then paint black over the top?
    Cheers,
    Jenny

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Whats the finish on the beast? Is it painted or plated?

3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Also depends what finish and look you want.
    I got mine sandblasted and powdercoated by a guy just up the hill from you (at Helensburgh).
    IMAG4381 (800x478).jpg

Jenny Frappell likes this.
  4. Jenny Frappell

That looks great. Actually looks a bit like mine. Is yours pretty light weight? How much did that cost. Where?

5. Jenny Frappell

I think its painted. I cleaned some paint drop marks with steel wool and it looks shinny underneath.

6. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah, It's not that heavy.

James at Nex Gen Coatings in Helensburgh did mine. He's at 155 Princes Hwy, Helensburgh NSW 2508, which is at the turn off to Helensburgh just a couple of hundred metres North of Sunrise Nursery on the Old Princes Hwy. I can't remember exactly how much it cost as he's done a number of things for me (seat frames, bumper bars, roofracks, tinware etc). It wasn't cheap, but I get an undercoat with all the Power Coating I get done (I.e. two coats in total) and this almost doubles the price. They sandblast and then coat it and I'm really happy with the finish. It looks much better in the flesh.

Here's his Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/southcoatscoatings/