1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to unblock idle jet

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by deepburn13, Aug 11, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me how to unblock a blocked carby idle jet?

Cheers,
    Scott.

2. Surf77

Surf77 Member

I got a tip once and it worked great for me on a gas lantern jet. remove the jet from the carb. Heat it up till it is red hot, then drop it into a cup of water. Whatever is stuck in the jet gets spat out.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Just blow it. Usually did it for me.
    Sometimes it is a fibre that needs to be pulled out.

4. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

Get an air gun and blow out with compressed air.

5. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Thanks all. Ive got a compressor that i borrowed for spraypainting that should do the job. Do i blow the air into where the cut off solenoid screws in? Or have i got the wrong hole? ;p

6. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. my self taught bush mechanic dad use to change a plug lead & cause backfire through the carby seemed to work on the Vauxhall but they never caught fire
    ernie

7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the tube that feeds fuel from the fuel bowl to the idle circuit on the left hand carb. I had mine block up once and needed to pull the carby apart tried blowing air through with no luck unded up using a strand of wire from a wire brush and pushed the blockage out with that - took a fair bit of effort.

I know you should not use wires to clean jets as you can make them bigger and bugger up the metering but figured it would not matter too much on the idle circuit as the fuel is metered by the needle valve anyway.

8. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Some interesting fixes,some of which I wouldn't recommend but saabman's often works unless the gunk stays inside the jet,Spraying carby cleaner into the jet from the inner end often washes the gunk out and then open the idle screw and give it a blow through there too and then find where the gunk came from.

9. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Yes I had both screws out and blew it out with compressed air and flushed with carby cleaner after I forced the crud out.

10. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Awesome info guys. Cheers!