1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's the NBN for you…..?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oldman, Apr 17, 2015.

1. seano

seano Member

Those of you/us on country lanes and back roads only have to do one thing to fix the issue of city based numbnuts not being able to find us...especially when it comes to the NBN.

It is so easy. And yet so stupid.

All you have to do is send an error alert or update to Google Maps advising of either an incorrect road name or property number. And that'll do the job...

To make the report, select 'report a problem' in the fine print at the bottom right of the screen in Google Maps and follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Titch

Titch Active Member

Hi Seano, I do have to thank you for enlighting me on the fact that my country lane was eligible for NBN. We do have it up and running now but the ongoing dramas about where we are living is something that would make a tv soap opera that would run for years. Your statement about error alerts and google maps mean nought to the people on the ends of the phone lines who are stationed in India. Or for that matter to the local persons who on very rare occasions deign to speak to you. Our council still sends our rates to the original block number that was given to the property in 1911. Lot 86. Some 12 years ago the white pages decided to list us as number 1 in our lane for lord knows what reason. Some months ago the SES gave outlying properties a number. We were given 18, which meant for a triple O call we were 180 metres from the nearest corner to our front gate. Our order was cancelled twice, as we were moving from number 1 to number 18, Telstra blokes were arriving to connect a phone line in our new property which we have lived in for over 20 years as we did not have one. The list goes on and on. The last three weeks have been one long hassle getting phone calls from Telstra workers who know more than we do on where we have been residing for the past 20 years. The NBN fitout was great. The rec eption is much better than we had before but the still ongoing saga is getting right up my fundamental nostril. As I said there is a book or stage show to be written about the goings on these past 5 or 6 weeks and it continued today.
    And don't get me going about the way the poor installation bloke had to do for the O.H.and S rules.
    Stick a ladder against the guttering to get onto the roof. Clamp and fasten it in at least two places. Attach a harness to himself, space warning beacons around the perimiter of the base of the ladder, and then take photos of the set up on an ipad to prove he did it right. He also when finished the inside installation had to take more photos to prove he did the job, I suppose. What sort of place are we coming to? That was straight forward, worked a treat, then we have had the past 4, 5 or 6 weeks with beaurocratic phone calls from gawd knows where.
    Result. Happy with the installation. Pissed off with the ongoing troubles with the desk bound wallas.
    As I have been driven to drink, it is time I had another. Vincenzo!

3. Titch

Titch Active Member

P.S. We just received an e-mail from Telstra that the new phone line we had ordered, (as we have had the same phone line for over 20 years and it worked OK we had not ordered a new line) they now tell us the order will be cancelled if we don't reply within a week. 5 seperate phone calls of some 30 minutes each over the past couple of weeks have been about the same item. No order was placed by us but I guess the delete button does not work for Telstra.
    Your local corner shop could not stuff up a business transaction as capable as Telstra has done.
    P.P.S. Has anybody heard of Telstra Platinum?
    They wanted to hit us with a charge of $250.00 as we requested to join.
    I have never heard of the item let alone wanting to pay that amount for gawd knows what!!!!!
    HELP!!!

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Titch,

I am Teltra bound, as I have no other choice in my location, and have had many dealings with them - most very annoying. :mad:

My only advice, is to wait out the time expiry for that one, and let it cancel itself out.

If you have a Telstra shop somewhere nearby, I have had acceptable results, talking to someone in person., face to face.

If you don't have a Telstra shop within reasonable travel distance, don't waste your time waiting on hold with the Telstra call centre in the Phillipines. Nice as they are, they don't have a clue about your issue.

Lodge every request / complaint online via the Telstra website. Much easier, less time, less stress, and usually, a better result. ;)

The "complaints" dept is not obvious on their webpage, and you may have to search the site, or google it, to find the right link.

5. Titch

Titch Active Member

The saga continues!
    Grantus, we too have only Telstra in our area. The latest happening in our joyfull decision to go NBN harks back to when we connected. Self install pack. Just four steps. First, second and third step all OK. Fourth step was unplug your phone from the copper wire network plug it into the new NBN box. Wait 10 minutes and you will be connected. We waited two days and with umpteen calls to Telstra who have to liase with NBN, one call centre in the Phillipines and the other in India the days do drag on with Please hold while we talk to someone. The only way we could make these calls was to take the phone back to the copper wire outlet which was still working. A week of asking for some action which saw my dear wife wanting to throttle anyone that worked for Telstra or NBN and we were informed that we should just keep using the phone on the old copper wire outlet. That has worked fine for the best part of three weeks. The past two days we have been trying to source some firewood from some of the nearby fellows who do a bit of that to raise funds. We had a list of 4 different people who were supposed to be getting wood for sale. The first call we made we got the message that this number has been disconnected. This happened on the other three numbers we rang. We thought that the boiys had just given up the sourcing of firewood. Yesterday we tried to ring our daughter who was visiting Melbourne and we got the same message. The penny dropped. Our phone was the one that was disconnected. On the wife's mobile which had just on $30 of credit she spent some hours to try and find out what was happening. Someone gave the answer in the end,"You have just moved house from No.1 to No. 18 so we cut the line off at your old house. Passed on to more people and were told Telstra had made a mistake and they would reconnect the line in 15 days when a service man would call and there would be a $160 service charge. The air in our house was blue and to cap it all the mobile phone was cut as it had run out of funds. Over the past month or two we have been assured that all our problems would be sorted within a couple of hours on many occasions. Would anyone like us to write an appreciation file? One thing we aren't getting any scam calls.
    P.S. how much is a bottle of single malt these days? Vince.

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be nice if Australia had some decent consumer protection laws. Too many bogans making excuses that Telstra (& CBA, Qantas) are good because they are Australan.:)

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

They've no idea what it is like out in the real world nor do they want to find out o_O

8. Titch

Titch Active Member

A new day has dawned. Phone still dead as a dodo. Mobile out of cash thanks to calls to the suppliers who don't supply. We managed to get some wood so I am thinking of sending smoke signals to Telstra today, a la "Tonto". I found out we are now paying a month in advance for all this and as we did that before the due date last week we have now paid for a phone service that is now non existant.

9. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Same here. Out for a month but billed in advance. Will see what the next bill reveals although they said it would be adjusted.

10. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

As a "dumb Australian" I know that 112 is the best option for emergencies anywhere in Australia from a mobile as even if the phone has no credit or signal it will still connect to emergency services. (Battery life not withstanding)

I run iinet ADSL2 with little to no issues with Netflix and other internet downloads etc,
    NBN runs past my place to the new housing estates, if and when It hits my street I will embrace it with open arms.
    I will not got through Telstra or Optus. I will stick with iinet purely for their fantastic pricing and phenomenal customer service.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'd like to know why the NBN is being connect to areas that already have a service?

I'm glad that you will be enjoying a service that I am paying for Nath. iiNet is the only landline internet option here. There is no Telstra or Optus.

(What's a Netflix?)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Just suffered another 5 days without phone or computer connection. Telstra slow in addressing problem until I demanded complaints dept. Actioned the next day. NBN is not even a consideration for us and we are just on the urban fringe of sunny Melbourne.

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Phill, Netflix is video streaming - article in today's paper that the take up of this service from all Telco's have them running to boost server power/quantity to cope & expect sooner or later there'll be more screams heard from Telco's failing to provide level of service.

Fortunate for me I am unaware if NBN has been laid in our street and seen or heard nothing about signing up to it. Very happy with iinet like Kai in service and support from them - only ever been with them over 3 or 4 iterations of the company or company's they've bought out.

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've been with iiNet since it was called Ozemail. They have always been helpful. They even sent a tech to Bowral Telstra exchange (100kms from Sydney) to argue with them on my behalf.

Netflix is video streaming Like youtube? I've heard lots of complaints about it but have no idea what it is or what it does.

15. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

:confused:Just had a visit to the accountant and he tells me that I am still paying my taxes, so I'll be sure to make the most of my hard earned $ and use it when I can and keep better alternate companies like iiNet in business.
    What I don't get is so many people bag the C#$% out of Telstra and Optus but do nothing about it. Move on, Leave, go elsewhere, the more business they lose the better it is for us.
    They might finally pull their fingers out and give the people what they want.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The previous government has forced us to use the Telstra infrastructure. There is no choice.

17. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Netflix is great no complaints here and not like Youtube at all, more akin to 10play or catch up tv - no cat videos and teens singing in the mirror.
    It is TV and Movie streaming via the internet direct to you smart device, PC or Smart enabled TV - Personally I use A Google Chromecast Dongle with my TV works great, loved Marvels Daredevil.

I used to sell ozemail for a number years so much so that for a while I didn't even pay for the internet at home, I also used one of iinets other absorbed brands ihug for a number of years.
    All 3 have always been far superior to the "Brand names" and iinet has gone toe to toe with Telstra on my behalf too, I cannot say that about any other company I have tried over the years. (Exetel, Dodo, TPG)
    Infrastructure for phones, some adsl exchanges maybe, doesn't mean they can take all my money. I run my home phone through iinet too, so telstra would get minimal out of me if
    the way I look at it if I am paying less than Telstras standard line rental & adsl2 per month they can not be getting that much rental from iinet.

syncro likes this.
  18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Most of the complaints that I have heard is that they are being billed when it hasn't been enabled.

I've never heard of them. I've heard of the older version, 4 play.

Sort of like Foxtel (which I don't have)

Optus used to be brilliant. Nothing was a problem with them.

I do the same but you are still using Telstra infrastructure and problems with halfwits

19. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Netflix is a on demand TV show or movie streaming service, no issues with billing here I got 6 months free with my new phone. iiNet has unmetered Netflix streaming with their plans. The content database is not as large as the U.S. Version but you can easily sort that out with a VPN

20. Titch

Titch Active Member

Getting too complicated for me. As I am nearing my 80th birthday what you are discussing is Chinese to me. The only mobile phone that I remember using was two tin cans and a tightened length of string.