1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydrolic lifters

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by cammokombi, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

My mechanic has advised me that when I find an engine for the cammokombi he will put hydrolic lifters in it. Can anyone explain in lay terms what the benifits of doing this are?
    Regards,
    Cammo.

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

No more tappet adjustment.

3. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that it means that you don't have to do do valve/tappits adjustments every service the clearance is controlled with oil presure. They only came on the very late bays i believe.

4. Kombi Kiwi

Kombi Kiwi Member

Hey Everybody
    Can they be fitted to earlier bays?
    Cheers
    Glen

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

For the type four motors i thinks so. not sure about the type one's

6. Yep type 4 is a big yes. Have run them for years. Engine is so much quieter and tappet adjustment all the time. you do have to change cam grind and also pushrods are shorter as lifters are longer.

7. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Ta!

Thanks for that info guys.

8. 66 deluxe

66 deluxe New Member

Hydraulic lifters are OK, but not the best they sustain a constant pressure on bothe the lifter themselves and the camshaft, were as a solid lifter has a slight relaxiation from constant spring pressures when on the base circle after it has finished on the ramp off the cam. I have dismantled a few hydraulic engines and the wear patterns on the cam and lifters are more severe than those on a solid lifter cam and lifters. If you go ahead with the hydro cam ensure you get good quality lifters and the correct camshaft, the shorter pushrods and make sure you get the solid spacers and washers that are between the intake and exhaust rockers. A hydraulic camshaft also has left lift than a solid. I personally won't use a hydro cam as i like to adjust my valve lash and can keep an eye on a vlave if it is stretching, if this is found, you have a chance to replace valve and keep your engine, with hydros no need to adjust valve lash and no telling if your valves are stretching.

Damo.

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Damo, good info. Were there many engines with hydrolic lifters? Never come across one myself.