1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i can hear birdsville calling.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by understanding_mercury, Jul 20, 2008.

1. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

quick question.....does anyone know of a kombi that has survived the Birdsville track?! Call me crazy but dad and i have both developed this desire to take a few weeks off work and see a bit of the 'real country'. We were thinking of going to the Birdsville Races in early September then south to Adelaide. It sounds kinda of outlandish i know but what an adventure it would be! I've read that September is one of the better times to drive the track - 'cooler' part of the year and because of the races, others should be on the road as well. It's all just in the planning stage at the moment, it's an awful lot of dirt roads (all up it would have to be nearly one thousand ks of dirt - oh when i write it like that it seems like an insane amount :eek: ) so i'd appreciate any advice/opinions on taking the treasured kombi on such a trek.

Mechanically i have good faith in Norbert though i'm scared i'll shake important bits off if the road is too rough, feel free to tell me this is a crazy idea and i shouldn't own a kombi if i'm going to treat it like that :) plan B is taking dad's soccermum 4WD.

Amanda

2. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Hey it should be fine.
    We live a fair way north of Birdsville and travel some rough tracks, but for one pass they would be fine in a Kombi. We drive tracks all the time so have a troopy for work!
    A mate of mine recently drove the Birdsville track and strezlekie (sorry spellers out there) and reckoned they were a walk in the park compared to the roads up our way.
    The road is graded and maintained well from what I know.
    It will be rocky though so make sure you have good tread and solid tyres and a good COUPLE of spares and you will be fine.
    There may be some with more intimate knowledge, but that's my two cents.

jono

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

There was an article in VW Magazine Australia about just that - eight or so kombis ranging from two 67 kombi splits thgrough to a few 75 model bay windows that were from the Bendigo VW Club who went through some very rough outback locations and many made it over Big Red in the Simpson.

The only causalties were a few tyres and one kombi with fuel blockage then an exhaust valve problem (which they removed the plug and lead from number 3 cylinder and drove back home.

Rev had a similar problem with outback "opal fuel" ( I still dont know what that is exactly) and a blocked caby.

It seems all doable with a couple of spare tyres, lots of fuel storage and just be carefull of the fuel you buy.

As you said there will be plenty of travellers at that time of year due to the races so if you get stuck just hitch a ride.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Scott

4. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I think you should head further south than adelaide......

But as Jono says a couple of spares would be handy, RACQ would take a while to find you!!! Oh and you definatly need a new wheel brace; specially since someone bent your last one.....

P.S. Did I mention further South? ;)

5. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I'd speak with Dean about this....

6. nikoatom

nikoatom Member

We have just done a trek from the west including lots of dodgy tracks. Having read the other words of encouragement I would add it might be worth taking a 12volt air pressure pump to blow dust out of the enginge bay because dust can be a bit hard on the oil cooling system. Ask a mechanic. Might be worth doing a couple of oil changes enroute. Good luck.
    Nikoatom

7. understanding_mercury

thanks guys, this trip is starting to take shape :)

8. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Cool trip Amanda - if anyone can do it, you and Norbie can. You'll have to entertain us with plenty of adventure stories and beautiful photos like Rev did recently.

Oh, and I think you and your Dad need to head further south. :)

9. understanding_mercury

Well Norbert and I made it to Tasmania in one piece. Went the long way via Birdsville and Adelaide and the old kombi didn't miss a beat!! Had quite a few people wanting to take photos ("we're all the way out here and look a kombi!) like they couldn't quite believe a kombi would make it that far though in truth Norbert showed up some of the big 4WDs....didn't even get a flat tyre!! The only thing i'd do differently is replace all the door seals i swear i arrived in Adelaide with half the outback inside the van!! Anyways thought i'd post a couple of pics.....

"Big Red...the largest sand dune in the simpson desert"
    [​IMG]

Birdsville Hotel at sunrise before all the hooligans arrive!
    [​IMG]

The Birdsville Track
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. understanding_mercury

Wee bit of dust got in the engine....
    [​IMG]

Definitely the time of year to go the wildflowers were out in full bloom!
    [​IMG]

Amanda!

11. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

You are a classic with a great spirit of adventure. Well done.

12. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

..the splitty my son now owns(aka Desert Split ex Bendigo Boys) has travelled the Canning stock route towing another kombi on a 'A' frame. Dont know if its been mentioned on this forum before ..another piece of trivia ..it was the Aussies that convinced the Germans to move the air intake vents from the lower position of early splits to the higher intake , as with bays. They proved this by covering the side of a kombi with grease and runnig it through the dust ..obviously less stuck to the higher area

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  13. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome,
    My wife and I have this trip on the cards for some time down the track, lots to do to Rocky first though. Maybe looking at going east west then back along the south coast, then some other time going up cape york and across to Broome, then back through the middle on a more northerly track.
    Well done guys, I am envious of what you have done.

Cheers, Chris

14. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Geez you're an action chick Amanda,call me old fashioned but thats a huge trip for a young girl to do solo.i'm incredibly impressed by that effort.
    Thankyou for the great photos.:)
    Steve

15. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Well done Amanda...very inspiring!!! You are the spirit of adventure!
    More pics???

Rich

16. Marty

Marty Active Member

Looks like the ultimate adventure. As Sheriff said, any more photos?

17. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

WOW! Great photos. What an adventure - you're far braver than me. :)

18. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Wow I am impressed and you have given Adrian the faith that the 1600 in his dual cab can do anything.
    Well done.... Michelle

19. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Nice one Amanda!
    Well impressed!

Ray & da Boyz

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good on you Amanda.
    Definately nothing stops you and you live adventure at the drop of a hat.
    Any more pikkies?
    cheers
    col