1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love a Sunburnt Samba

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Longrasser, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Hi all, I just joined up but cant yet post so I am posting under Dno's user till I'm up and running. Dno has been a reader and sometimes contributor to the site for a long while and I have been reading over his shoulder. As some of you already know we are ever so slowly getting our bus up and running and I though it about time we posted up some photos of the build.

While not up to everyone's liking or standard it is what we can budget and the style we like and enjoy. "To be driven and enjoyed".

We are new to Kombi's and on a upwards learning curve after having a shed full of Holdens.

Anyway on with the photos and blog.

So the bus in its natural environment - "Heat, Dust and Flies" in western New South Wales

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  2. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

It was in very good condition for a soft top bus, as we were to learn and find out from some of the other projects we have watched over the years. Each time we complained about something we both reminded each other of buses that had a ground up resto of replacement parts.
    So apart from red dust, local inhabitants, cow rubbings and Belah needles it was 'Clean'.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

So after several years of checking in on it we finally pulled it home. The orange HQ Holden took a steady drive home and after 3 mid drive offers and a lot of photos we made it home with all windows still in place and a little more mouths open to peoples passions for Kombi's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grantus and Syncro27 like this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

What a find !
    .....and so nice hat you are doing it to enjoy, rather than trying to get it "concourse" to make money out of. :D
    Looks like it needs minimal bodywork compared to some.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. chayle

chayle Active Member

I'm intrigued to see how it goes mate good score

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Must be 2 to 3 years ago that you found this beauty, is she getting close to being on the road, very nice looking bus:cool::cool::cool:

7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Great score. Looks fairly solid to me. That paint should buff up nicely.

8. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Wow! Looking forward to seeing the progress with this. Cool ute too :cool:

Chrissy.

9. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Thanks all, yes I should have added that we got it home at the end of 2012. However, and I know it is blasphemy to some, there was other Holden's to work on before we committed to the bus. At least it was out of the weather and tucked up dry in a shed. Work started in earnest last year so it has steadily been nights here and weekends there. More on the build tomorrow when I find some time.

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Def lacking a sense of priority there mate..........

A Holden before a Kombi? o_O

:eek: You must lack class, and obviously have more money than sense....:p

Love your work regardless...:)

11. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

What a find, can't wait to see the transformation.

12. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we know nothing about the early history of the bus. Just that it was taken west for a shooting wagon but we think it only had this guise for a short time and probably where it got the nose and underbelly damage and hole through the luggage compartment which most likely stopped the engine!

So back to the photo story
    So off the trailer and first time in a shed in over 20 odd years
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So next was the clean down. Which is one of Dno's favourite parts. You get to see what treasure you can find and also have a good look over it to see what needs to be done. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

How much red dust can we dislodge??? I just kept seeping out of every crack and hole for days. When we thought it was the last clean down we would find more. Three years on we are still finding little pockets of red mud from the initial wash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wenmac, Syncro27 and ruby6689 like this.
  14. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Magnificent find, good on you, keep the photos coming.

15. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

This is all the treasure we found in the bus, some of which as time went on we found was bus parts.
    [​IMG]

David H and Syncro27 like this.
  16. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

So after its clean Dno was keen to see what the paint was like. The chalk gave way to some excellent German paint!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  17. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

So with not another single VW part in our shed it was time to start some rather large parts and wish lists. Like; motor and gearbox - parts list; seats and bumpers - wish list! But before that we had to go on a learning curve to educate ourselves on identifying what year the bus was. So with us grabbing bits and pieces here and there and our head up under the dash for the back of speedos and looking at lights and other parts we have identified it as a Apr/May 61 Microbus (ahh so I don't own a Kombi!!). So for the next year or so the bus just sat, got talked about, lists made, internet and books read, patted, sat and played in and then just covered up and left while other projects got finished.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    burnsy62 likes this.
  18. Roo

Roo Active Member

And then?.......;)

19. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

And then, and then, and then... we had to do something and not just let it sit there so .... The interior cards were cactus from the heat and they were covered either with foam and vinyl or with some stylish purple carpet from the 70's. However the original vinyl was still there hidden under it all, so Dno and I pealed them all off after soaking them for days to soften and remove the glue. The shame being is that when the previous owner covered them they had cut right along the edge of the card (including the original vinyl) to cover them with carpet to allow for the extra bulk. Anyway Dno managed to get a template from the cards and we cut and restuck them all down after putting them in the sun to soften the original vinyl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

This is the best...

Quombi likes this.