1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love a Sunburnt Samba

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Longrasser, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hope the dog didnt drink that water - mmmm that lovely taste of glue.

My silly mut licked grease from my mechanics workshop yesterday - he will have a go at anything!

Great work on the door cards savior - with the purple carpet I would have thought they would have been irretrievable...

Quombi likes this.
  2. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

great work.

Love following this thread. perspiration and inspiration

Quombi likes this.
  3. seano

seano Member

Finally a write-up of the little sunburnt tinnie!! About time...

I can vouch for the sympathetic and pragmatic progress being made on this project...and there being more tales to tell.

4. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Yes Didgee did drink the water! Doesn't matter how much clean water is available she still will have her head in a bucket of filthy stuff?! She readily sports 'shed stamps', either a spray painted tail or grease somewhere. Both Tess (our daughter) and Didgee had a 'shed stamp' on the weekend to get entry to the 'Museum'!

5. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Parts
    We were going to need some funds for parts so with Bathurst Swap Meet was looming, we cleared the shed out of the excess and unwanted things and came home with an empty trailer and a pocket of folding stuff! So more lists were made , checked and parts ordered with forum threads ringing in our ears about the cheap second rate components, slow and dodgy service from parts providers or the expensive but good Wolfsburg and German parts. The first boxes arrived only days after orders were submitted and it was like Christmas! Now we just had to work out and remember where the pieces were all to go. But as tempting as it was we had to put them in storage till we had the time and space to drag it all out again.
    [​IMG]
    Another box
    [​IMG]
    ohh and another box
    [​IMG]
    and then we would need something or forget something and there would be another..... box. Yay Christmas!
    [​IMG]
    Space was at a bit of a premium in the shed now and something had to be done. So we cut out the southern wall and put another bay onto the back of the shed. And this gave us parts storage – as now we had Holdens and a Kombi, and for the interim – Kombi storage. (Don’t mix up the parts!)

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Syncro27 likes this.
  6. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Nose Job
    Next came some panel work on the nose. It had seen some early damage, repairs and bog and then sometime later, a big knock to the middle which also folded up the apron and pushed the nose skin into the heater tube riser. The dents all corresponded with a kombi roo-bar, so the damage could have been from a big kangaroo hit or from scrub bashing out west. Anyway it was a mess and twisted and folded in all directions. (….but no rust…)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That steering wheel was cool, but like the falcon ute bench seat bolted in the front, it had to go once we found a proper tiller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So then a bit of filler and Bobs your uncle……
    [​IMG]

7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Nice work. Can't beleive how dry that lower nose is. Good project.

8. Roo

Roo Active Member

But I don't have an Uncle Bob......:cool:

9. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Well I have several but the friend who worked on the bus next obviously didn't either. But that's the next entry so you'll have to wait Captain Roo Risky

10. Syncro27

Excellent panel beating.

Those trims can often be straightened too if you want to keep the original/ patina look..

Cant wait to see how she looks now.

11. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Thanks, Dno is a jack of all trades but he would say different (he's in the shed again after putting the motor in AGAIN, so he can't argue). Most of the trim and deluxe extras we have rescued and straightened as best we can. All adds to the history and originality of the bus. Like I said upfront, not everyone's cup of tea, but how we like it. Anyone with money can have a concourse Samba but how many can have a sympathetically restored original one?

David H likes this.
  12. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Nice work, very nice work

13. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

I'm enjoying this thread, some very funny comments along with great pictures, keep up the good work

14. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

I need more reading, this is great!

15. seano

seano Member

Quombi is a tease...that face did not look like that when I last saw it...

16. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Righto next update while I have a cuppa in the shed and get all the Kwik Grip off my hands from gluing door cards. Dno has been 'huggin' the gearbox but that's another entry....

Nose Job take Two
    We did a deal with one of our friends and fellow Central West Car Club members at the afore mentioned Bathurst Swap Meet. A set of Hot Wire Wheels for a days panel work. The Maestro - 'Adam' has now had two top 60 cars in the Summer Nats in as many years (one of his own and another he worked on), so you can understand his calibre of work. So once he saw Dno's hard work and bog on the front... well it had to go. So out with the grinder, bog had to go and back to metal.
    [​IMG]

We also had to make some room for him to work so out came the light buckets, steering wheel column and gear stick. The handbrake pin decided to get stuck half in and half out so it stayed (that reminds me we have to get it back in).
    [​IMG]

So after a 'Toolbox Talk' it was all tools go. Was great to see an experienced panel worker at his job, tap, tap, feel, look, tap, tap feel, tap...... sometimes heat and tap or weld, pull and tap and change tools and tap..... you get the drift (or is that tap!).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having the light buckets out lead to some creative work....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and at the end of the day there was tools everywhere and a straight (er) nose. The nose came out another three inches and we bought forward the apron to its correct position. The 'easy' way would have been to cut the nose off and replace with a completely new panel. But we are keeping within our budget and the spirit of the build to keep as much of the original bus there as we can (which included the paint).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Maestro!
    H&D

David H, Aspro, Syncro27 and 3 others like this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Awesome display of the difference between a true professional, and a good amateur attempt. ;)

Looked really good after the first nose job....... but excellent after the second go at it. :)

Quombi likes this.
  18. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Motors and Seats

It was a nice addition to the shed, but still it was still pretty much a tin box sitting on a pair of front wheels. From the time it rolled into the shed, we started hunting for bits and pieces.

Have you ever noticed that here is scarcely a skerrick of VW bits at swap meets. Holdens are a sinch to chase parts for. Not so 1961 buses. Most swap meets we wandered around, we were lucky to find a hub cap.

So, the bus sat quiet for a while again while we found a few donor parts, mainly a few motors, gearboxes and the elusive seats. We brought up what motors were close by off Ebay. This lead to a few other parts and then a buggy arrived followed closely by the 71 lowlight. People often said to us that you never have just one VW!!!! Its like Holdens, they seem to multiply at our shed! (Which isn’t entirely a bad thing).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and some nice fairy gardens as well.

[​IMG]
    An old type three was just down the road for a song and gave us a box and a pile of bolts and fasteners. The buggy was purchased for its motor and box - a 1600 twin port from a superbug. We got the Bay Kombi for its middle seat for the price of the middle seat. Both provided more to the learning curve we were on, the differences and the similarities. (so now, we have this second Bay window Kombi project, self generating in the background. The white bay now has front seats, gearbox, motor, bumpers, wheels and glass!).

One of the 100 buck ebay motors, (a 40HP), was cleaned, overhauled and readied for a run. A few lessons for beginners was learnt; why the gearbox wouldn't fit (6 volt box, 12 volt flywheel); the motor revved its guts out and nearly burnt the bus down (fried 6 volt regulator); why the shifter tube wouldn't go back in after we cut and welded it back up (it does go in two different ways! One works, one not so much) and countless small things when working on older vehicles. 2 steps forwards and 1 and a half backwards. Time plodding through manuals and the internet (you know what they say about free advice).

[​IMG]
    Nephews beetle was brought in for reference and parts comparision.

A back seat was sourced from Dno's brother who was putting in a camper bed in his early bay. [Free advice here; 1971 bay rear seats go straight into 61 buses, and clears the heater log no problem] The middle seat from the Barnawatha Bay lowlight and front bench seat came off the internet. & you know what, they all happened to match in colour and pattern. The off white doesn’t look too bad against the blue and whites and greys of the 23. Original seats for a 61 Delux are rare, rare creatures, and there seems no sense in waiting for a set to fall from the sky. We do have a loan of a 61 hump seat, and have a rear back from a 61 and some floor clamps from the 23,.. so if we wait long enough…..

Needless to say, the space in the shed was steadily and surely filling. With the fear of running out of space to actually get any work done, we decided to write some more lists and organise this bus project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a arty shot to finish....
    [​IMG]

Syncro27, roverbay and melissa like this.
  19. Syncro27

This is becoming an epic Saga.

I love that little steering wheel but reverse parking on bitumen would mean a decent workout....

Quombi likes this.
  20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

original paint - SWEET!

Cant wait to see the build on this

PLEASE tell me your thinking of a 2.4L Type 4 motor :D