1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love a Sunburnt Samba

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Longrasser, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

There's a Speedwell Fireball up in the shed trusses. It was a tip save from a few years back.. It's up there because of the lack of floor space and to stop it being crushed under some project and to help protect my noggin from attempting some awesome mono stunt (which the Fireball & Wedges were excellent at).
    It has 3 speed T-shift and red-wall tyres too ! Double the awesomeness.
    Maybe Tess will get it down someday and perfect the dragster mono.

Miss Rosie likes this.
  2. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Brake System

While we are talking patience testing, let’s not forget the brake reservoir! Apart from the T union for the rear brakes being gummed up and blocked solid, that was just an easy pull down and clean out. Overall the brake system was not too bad. We replaced the old reservoir as the plastic was very cruddy and had fine cracks in it. So all back together and filled up the new reservoir only to come back in the morning to a brake fluid puddle. We re tightened it and everything looks good (for 10 minutes)….. no…. still leaking. So we add another reservoir to the next parts order and move onto another job.

The new one arrived and Dno gives it a liberal coating of brake fluid proof goop to help the seal and we put it on. We buy ourselves a brake bleeding pump and bleed all the brakes, run out of fluid several times, curse and re-bleed again and again (ok, so I’m not used to such a small reservoir!!). The ever patient Dno just climbs back under to be coated again in brake fluid at some point (doesn’t matter how careful you are, it still gets you!). Alright, tick another job off the list and go to bed, but in the morning … yep, another leaking (well seeping) reservoir! What do they make these things out of? (the no brand box that it came in should have been a giveaway).

So Dno heads into the brake mob in Orange, who we are on first name bases due to the amount of times we go in there for something. They now just ask “righto which vehicle today….?”. So Dno pulls out the original reservoir and they both look at each other and shake their heads. Steve comes in from the work shop and takes a look at it and says “hangon’ I think I’ve seen something like that out the back” so off he goes and 3 minutes latter is back with a new old stock one from a old Mercedes truck. Same country I suppose, and by the look of it, the same factory.

We take the Mercedes reservoir home and it fits in perfectly with no leaks! We are now all keen to bleed the brakes, so off we go and do the first one when ‘pop’…. Ohh oops, helps if the hubs are one beforehand! What we didn’t realise is that with the build-up of pressure before the cap popped it sprayed brake fluid across the shed and on to the bonnet of the Kingswood wagon. Luckily we saw it before turning the lights off and with a clean-up and polish you can hardly notice the marks… hmmmm ……. Anyway the end of the story is that the brakes are all working and the handbrake pin is out and back in with handbrake adjusted and working. Tick a couple off the list! (and add a few while we have the book open).

jamiec and seano like this.
  3. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Small Achievements!

With so many backwards steps it has been nice to get some small achievements ticked off the list as well.

Delux trim and body line all done (we have also put in that little bit that was always at risk of getting lost)
    [​IMG]

Back cleaned and sound deadner down. (note the bullet hole and tiny bit of psychedelic carpet that was left over)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

High spots of the weld ground off and a coat of prep paint down on the nose. (we are going to age that fresh paint to match). Excuse Dnos posture there, it was 12.30 in the morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More delux interior trim straightened, cleaned, clips made and installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back engine door removed and hinges changed for new ones. One bolt gave us grief but after a lot of banging and shifting out more red dirt it came off. (man, we love this bus, Inox and heat have shifted just about everything tight) (keep that grinder out of sight).
    [​IMG]

Wiper motor inspected and was like new. This is a thing of beauty…. And this is before getting a clean up. (Dust beats rust !)
    [​IMG]

Heat/ sound insulation put on the roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With thanks to young Brad at Bus n Bug for another vinyl order we were able to finish off the last of the interior trim cards. And patch up the seats with matching aged upholstery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

& put the bullbar on to see what it looks like. Had a visit from a little frog. (sorry little fella, this bar is getting reused). This is really a ‘Roo’-bar. Thanks old mate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The stops are all out at the moment, we have a deadline. Another midnight run in the shed, but the sleep deprivation doesn’t seem to hurt so much anymore.

The Beatles are singing [Ed. This is Dno! I’m not quite as tired!]; Come Together, right now. Over me’

(He got bag production, He got walrus gumboot, He got Ono sideboard, He one spinal cracker……’)

Past midnight in the shed it all begins to make sense !

HnD

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    seano likes this.
  4. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

(He got bag production, He got walrus gumboot, He got Ono sideboard, He one spinal cracker……’)

Past midnight in the shed it all begins to make sense !

Or, you've been snorting too much brake fluid, red bull dust or paint thinners ;):D:p

You are both machines!!!! Unbelievable, awesome work you have both done resurrecting this Samba! Gold :):cool:

Roo's loaner Kombi Roo bar rides again, yee hah!!!!

Quombi likes this.
  5. seano

seano Member

Haydno aren't machines. They're just mostly kind of normal(ish) people with bags, buckets and the odd wheelbarrow load of commitment. They are also massively entertaining and a pleasure to be entangled with. And the Sunburnt Samba is the latest in a long line of similar (sort of) endeavours...

Quombi likes this.
  6. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Seats

As previously mentioned, we had sourced and gathered a matching set of bay seats and had the loan of some VW gold in a 61 hump seat. At some stage in the future it is intended to make a repro hump seat just to see if we can, but first to the job at hand. We decided to make the early bay seats a little more ‘splitty like’ and put the parcel rail along the back of the rear seat and make up the base rails and catchers for the front seat. This meant skinning the backs and strengthening up the frame. So we heated up the vinyl in the sun (which has been turned up another gas-mark this last month) and prised the pins up and took the covers off. It allowed us to give them a good scrub and see if we can patch up some of the splits in the seats.

Dno bent up some steam pipe and we welded them in to match the base rails as close as we could. Welding seats covered in coconut fibre was interesting and alarming in the same breath! Lots of wet towels and the spray bottle at the ready!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bay front bench is now a tad more solid and rests on the original 61 mounts. An exercise in combining 40 year old coconut fibre and red hot metal without burning the shed down.

Ed - we have since learnt that bays don’t have front bench seats and the one we have is actually nearly as rare as a 61 hump seat! It is a back bench from a double cab, there you go a bit more Kombi knowledge in the memory banks!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    melissa and Syncro27 like this.
  7. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Ta, Seano. Glad you put 'kind-of' in there. I would be offended to be given the tag 'normal. (ish is OK too).
    Remember, I used to have a bumper sticker on the old Cortina that said ' why be normal when you can just be yourself !' I guess with this bus, I'm not going to need the sticker.

Kmadness, I have no choice on my medication. Laying under this bus with both hands busy, the dust, fluid and small rusty screws come automatically administered.
    I had always just caught one or two words from Come Together in the past. When I looked the lyrics up on line the other night I found that there was a good reason for never really knowing all the words. Man, goo-goo-ga-joop indeed. I spose' it was the 70s !

Speaking of music, two songs that have come up fairly regularly on the radio during the late forays are 'The Real Thing' ( Russell Morris ) and 'Someday I'll have Money' (Spectrum). They have sort have become anthems for the resto.

KombiMadness likes this.
  8. seano

seano Member

No sticker required. Just as long as the gearstick doesn't come off in your hand...

Quombi likes this.
  9. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

The Electrickery

With the motor running, gears changing and other bits going back on it was time to attach the wiring more like the way that VW intended. With a wiring guide downloaded, printed and laminated in hand we tried matching up the colours. However due to the age and I guess the high temperatures of its last resting place, the wires have all faded to greys, blacks and shades thereof. Blue with green stripes have faded to black and grey which look the same as the original black and grey … and you get the picture. (Wiring inspired by 40 shades of grey).

With multimeter in hand, the ever talented Dno tracked them all down to their correct locations, checked continuity, earthings and connection resistances and got the fuse block built back up. It’s amazing after all this time sitting in the bush to see lights come back to life. (Dno Edit. Ever talented is a nice term for being patient enough to keep on trying until it is right)

Dno enjoyed a good few days of ‘getting to know’ the headlights and fittings. We only had one original light in parts, two extremely squashed samples and several other beetle ‘possibles’ which had been scrounged from here and there. I’m still amazed at the amount of parts which goes (and could go) into these lights. The fact that the damage to the front nose had slightly warped the light bucket was no help either as the light just kept popping out every time we came to tighten it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We put the under-dash shelf back in and then realised that we needed to route the cables up and over the front of the nose bar, so instead of pulling them all out from behind the speedo again I pulled all the wires from the fuse block and worked all the wires back to where they belonged. With less knuckle skin and a kinked neck it was all back together and the parcel shelf back in place. And barely any grey with black stripe wires were mixed up with black wires with grey stripes.

seano likes this.
  10. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Speedo (Speed ??)

With the parcel shelf in, we went to connect up the speedo cable only to discover that there is no circlip and no trace of the square end on the speedo cable or in the bearing cap…? The original cable had worn itself and the bearing cap round, so the previous driver was likely driving to the sound of wind rushing past the quarterlites. We got back online to order a new speedo cable but everyone seemed to be out of stock and the caps are all different and look a little too new for our liking. So we tax the cable of the bay and mark up the other side cap to be drilled and a new square drive hole to be filed out carefully. We’ll get there. A bit like this speedo before we fixed it up… going flat out, but reading just 1 mile per hour.

We also pulled the dial apart, fished all the little coloured chips and restuck them in their appropriate places and polished the inside of the glass. It looks like a bought one… no, better than that…. an original !
    [​IMG]

melissa likes this.
  11. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Rims and Tyres

We sort through the best of the rims we have and take them in to have the old tyres removed. Then Dno gets into giving them a clean and paint but finds there is one too pitted for the job. Luckily we find another one but the hubcap clips are all busted off. Anyway with another order ready to send we quickly add a set of clips to the purchase list. They arrive and we tick off another Kombi first of seating clips to the rim with rivets. Anyway the new tyres look the part but yet to be road tested.
    [​IMG]

Well that brings us up to date as of last week. It has been a mad few months but the finish line seems a long way off yet. The countdown to the Bus Stop has started in earnest and we seem to be lagging behind.

melissa likes this.
  12. KombiMadness

Great work! Love it! :cool:

Word of warning: the quality of the steel in the new 'repro' hubcap clips is woeful. After going to all the work of carefully drilling out the old broken off clip rivets and then ball peen hammering or otherwise (VW hubcap clip rivet tool is good - but there's guys on The Samba who have made their own 'home made' jobbies that do the trick) attaching the new clips back on the wheel, you will find they snap off really easily; like almost every time you remove a hubcap and put it back on!! As always, OG is best! :mad:

13. KombiMadness

Aspro likes this.
  14. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

15. seano

seano Member

Oi Dno...where's your dust mask? Tsk!!!

KombiMadness likes this.
  16. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Aww come~on, I've got the ear muffs, goggles, steel caps, overalls, fire protection... And I was holding my breath.

As for clip tools, I was all set about to make something, but when the time came, we used the anvil and the right shape swage in the hardy hole. (And a big hammer and drift) . I bought two sets of hubcap clips. Some Wolfsburg ones and some no-brand. I've used all the WW ones, so we will see how we go. If they let go, I might punch out some old originals off an old rim and give them a second life..

KombiMadness likes this.
  17. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Isn't that what beards are for....

KombiMadness likes this.
  18. seano

seano Member

Not if they are anything like my head...or my beard...and it'd be fair to suggest that Dno's is equally moth eaten. And therefore not much good as a dust mask. Would you like me to send him something better?

Did I tell you I got a Transmig 175 for my birthday?

Quombi likes this.
  19. SLW

SLW New Member

Such an awesome thread. Very envious of your bus!!!

Quombi likes this.
  20. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Front Door Windows

Seeming I was lagging behind in my chores so I attacked another job…. A Big One! The other BIG one was still to come and was awaiting a call from the canvas man so I got stuck into the doors.

It seemed simple enough. Just undo the screws on one end, undo the bolts on the other and lift the window out to swap the old rubbers and window felts over…..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nope. Still wouldn’t budge, get the hired muscle in…. and still nothing. Ok, off with the door cards…AGAIN!!!
    [​IMG]

Undo the two unseen bolts in the middle under the window sill…. Struggle lift struggle…. Nope, still nothing. OK, there is still ANOTHER two bolts up under the frame… this is great German engineering!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We finally get them out and set to work dismantling and cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Some of the small side bolts which hold the bottom frame together were a bit past it so we had to snap them off and take another visit to the bolts and fasteners shop for new ones.
    [​IMG]
    (the bonnets of the HQs come in handy for extra bench space and seating!!)
    [​IMG]

Of course the new felts do not match up to the door so a bit more modification and trimming is required. The drain holes were way off or not there at all and the window latch holes were totally wrong as you can see from the double up.
    [​IMG]

I pulled the window latch apart and luckily caught the spring which ‘sprung’ forth. Another great but simple design. With a clean out of all the ‘crud’ a bit of lube and all back together is works like new.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, a bit of paint, new bolts and adjustment and all back together ok. Oh, and don’t forget the Gentleman’s Talcum Powder! Yes that was an unwanted Christmas present from your Aunty that had lived in the back of bathroom cupboard for the past 15 years (it suddenly comes in handy!) Thanks Aunt! Yes a bit of powder on the door rubbers makes them install all that much easier. Especially when you are a tight arse and don’t buy the expensive rubbers around the quarter windows and need to squeeze the others rubbers past.
    [​IMG]

I seemed to put the passenger side window frame back in and bolt it up ok, but when I go to do the drivers side it doesn’t want to play….. I bring in the muscle but still no go. For some unknown kombi karma reason the bolt doesn’t want to take up the thread. Whether it is from the new rubber lifting the window frame or the fact the door geometry is now different… who knows. So we gave up and ended up threading a longer bolt back through the thread backwards and putting a nut on the end…. Same end result… great Australian Engineering!

Syncro27 likes this.