1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Love a Sunburnt Samba

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Longrasser, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Yep KM, I was expecting it and the first uncapping of the wheel with the new clips sent a broken piece flying far far away.

I punched out an old one off a rusty rim and replaced it, so I can expect another 4 repeats of this process.

Taking a look at the broken clip, the edge is really jagged like it is a high tensile percussion failure, rather than just snapping off from pulling at the hubcap. It would seem that the break happened as the clip jarred back into place after it had rebounded back over the lip of the hub cap. I'm going to put a bit of heat into the sharp bend near the clip and take the brittleness out of them a little. They're probably better bending slightly a dozen times before breaking, than them just snapping off the next time I take the cap off.

Poetic irony if I break another several while taking the hub cap off to try out my heat-fix.

I also found that the copper rivets were far better in the installation process rather than the pressure-forged titanium rivets I got with another set of clips. I went to send the new rivet home the other night with the OG clip and didn't even mark it (even with a big drift punch and a bigger hammer). Maybe I needed the 100 tonne press you see them doing the wheels in the old footage from VW. I ended up going to the drawer and ferreting around for an old copper one again.

KombiMadness likes this.
  2. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Are we there yet?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

More small bits

Badge on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kick panels under the dash made/refurbished and reinstalled over some insulation. We had to remove them and wrap up the blinker connections as they were shorting out on the foil backed insulation after a test drive…..hmmmm
    [​IMG]

Installation of an old swap meet radio to look the part.
    [​IMG]

One visor found and installed
    [​IMG]

The last of the body line on the trim installed.
    [​IMG]

Back hatch door card refurbished and installed.
    [​IMG]

Jailbars reinstalled in the correct position. They had been moved to act as curtain rails above and below the windows. Unfortunately two had also been cut to fit the smaller curve and size at the top of the window. Dno had to extend each end to match the curve and length back up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My little helper put the underfelt and carpet on the back luggage shelf.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started the big job on the sunroof by removing and cleaning all the rails and bars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 and melissa like this.
  4. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Go, go, go.....
    "I'm late, I'm late..... for a very important date. My Samba isn't for latin dancing, or posing or for prancing. It's our 23 window Kombi, we've got to get it ready. By Dno and Quombi.
    I'm late, I'm late.... for a very important date......"

A crazy little song I made up just for you guys. See ya there.

5. Roo

Roo Active Member

Are you a definite, old mate???

6. KombiMadness

At this stage, I'm a 90% go. Hope to see you there, mate.

7. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Generator/Alternator

KISS.... Keep it simple stupid ! I should have listened to my inner simple meter when it came to charging up the whole shebang. When I last put the motor in, I looked at the alternator in the buggy and took it out with the motor attached, chased out the external regulator and figured that an alternator would save a few hassles that an old generator may throw up in the future. I had changed over to twelve volt after the bigger/ better motor went in and after looking into the crammed engine-bay for a few nights in a row, I laid out the assortment of tools I would need and slowly discovered what a pain it is to get a genny and fan out of a VW engine (while it is still in the bus).

It would have been marginally quicker to pull the engine again than getting that fan out, but with two pairs of hands and just about every component pulled off the motor, out it came. The idea of just putting in the buggies alternator and fan stopped short with discovering that it was attached to a different width fan, so I hunted out another fan, another backing plate, another packet of engine tin screws to replace all the ones that had rolled lost under the bus amongst the pile of tools and wires.

Longer story short, it didn’t work. The regulator was fried and was throwing no power into the battery. Time was running out on our deadline. Out it all came again, I dug the old 12 volt genny out of the parts pile, put in new brushes, polarised it, tested it and wacked it all back in with another old Bosch regulator. The wiring was also getting tired of being lengthened and shortened. Another lend of the spare set of hands, and we were good to go…. Except for the sparks and white smoke and the unceremonious cremation of old Bosch reg. (It wasn’t my wiring, I checked twice).

The Holden part piles now come into play. I canned the charred Boschy, found a old 12 volt Lucas (prince of darkness) and wired it up. Results! 13 point something volts of charge.

Until today….the regulator is having another break. The battery is on the charger and so long as I don’t go through any abnormally long dark tunnels or ride the brakes for too long, I should have enough volts to get where we are going for now. I'm sure there is another regulator in the parts pile. I'm getting good at wiring them in now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Sunroof

Well finally the last big job had to be tackled. Dno had tracked down some suitable material last year and it was in ‘storage’, so out it came and laid out for a measure up. I had printed out what ‘build up’ stories I could find and as many sunroof photos as we could track down. Looked at what little was left on the bows and worked the rest out as best we could. We drew up a couple of designs and then I stitched out an example which looked like it would work. I dropped in to see the canvas man in Orange only to be told he was flat out on big jobs till Easter but… might be able squeeze it in, so that was three weeks ago. After cleaning everything and making up some of the missing bits I was running out of jobs to do so called in to see where he was up to, ready to take it home and test our my sewing machine with some canvas. He had ‘lost’ our fabric amongst his own, so it took some finding. He then decided he could do it there and then so I left him too it. Unfortunately he cut the ends off where I wanted them left but other than that it was done. So home I went more determined than ever that ‘next time’ I would do it myself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first issue I had with the sunroof was that there was missing front sliders on the first bows. I needed some neoprene block or something similar. I went from bearing place to auto place to bearing place to engineering place to windows place to sign place to plastic place – BINGO.

I walked in and said “I going to ask a weird question but…. Do you have….” The bloke had this funny smirk on his face and walked off and left me standing there…..2 minutes later and he was back holding two pieces of green plastic and said “will this do?”. I had a measure up and looked perfect to me so I quickly said yes and ???? how much? He just waved me out the door….. nice people are still out there. Turns out they are plastic packers for transporting doors etc. The phone number for the Plastics Moulding Co. is embossed in the side so years to come when someone is replacing the slides they will possibly ring them up!
    [​IMG]

Some of the bolts had seized up and I wasn’t able to source any new ones , except from the US or UK for $$$$. So we made so until we redo the inner liner. Other bolts were able to be sourced and my relationship with the bolts and fasteners shop is as strong as ever!
    [​IMG]
    (ones we cant get… yet)

Slowly slowly, measure, measure…. Yes I did get it wrong and had to repunch some holes… no I Wasn’t happy but all was not lost.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three hours of fiddle and we were nearly there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of measure twice and cut once but it all came together and after a few extra hours it was done. Rego was due the following day so a 2 am bedtime was justified. Needless to say it was more work than I can type but my jumping for joy around the shed at the wee hours of the morning felt amazing to get it finished!
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Rego

Rego was booked in a week and a half out and fell Monday just gone. We continued to work into the wee hours and get eaten by the hordes of mozzies which seem to be about this year. After the generator/alternator issues got partially sorted we decided it was time for another test run around the back paddock. The Samba went safari and survived the long grass (and caused no fires!)
    [​IMG]

We braved up (after swapping the insurance over to Historic Rego cover to cover us on the road!) and took the bus out on the road for the first time in??? a long time! We drove up to the neighbours and then down the back road and home again.
    [​IMG]

All seemed to go ok except a short on the brakes lights which made them flicker all the time. Oh and fourth keeps jumping out, nothing that wont stop us getting to rego the following day. So we stay up late to get the sunroof done and final ‘bits’ completed.
    [​IMG]

We discover the joys of driving a Kombi the following morning when we have 15 cars behind us by the time we reach the 50 zone on the edge of Orange (our first Kombi Snake J). Then have the token 4WD that has to overtake on the double lane just past the first lights. Good one you… ohh got you to the next intersection 2 seconds before us. They refrained from looking in the review mirror when they pulled up……

Anyway we made it to our mechanic “Stojanovic Automotive” and passed our Pink Slip! Yay!!
    [​IMG]

Then quickly home again before return to the beloved RMS to go through the rego. You no-doubt all know the routine at RMS…. Walk in to be greeted by the happy lady to press buttons for you. Sit and wait for the number….. go to the desk and then get the blank look about historic rego. Mind you I had all the paper work filled in and with us, Club rego, Conditional Licence, Change of Conditions (for the log book) and proof of purchase. But after 10 minutes and one set of Conditional Licence Plates instead of Historic Plates, which I questioned as they were green instead of the purple I knew they should be…. And Tess going crazy over all the lounges and playing ‘peek-a-boo’ between the partitions, I was out of there, to leave Dno to it. 30 minutes later we have our new plates! YAY for us…
    [​IMG]

Syncro27 and Aspro like this.
  10. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Awesome news guys. Can't beleive how quickly you got all that work done.
    Bus looks amazing. Big pat on the back for all involved.
    Now enjoy it. :)

Quombi likes this.
  11. Roo

Roo Active Member

Great effort guys! I'll throw in a charger and spare battery Deano.

Quombi likes this.
  12. wenmac

wenmac Active Member

Well done guys. It seemed to all that have been watching that the resto was done in quick fashion with out too many headaches, I'm guessing there were many late nights and more than a couple of headaches but your crew can be very proud of what you have achieved.:D

Quombi likes this.
  13. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Well done, a great read and a great bus, congratulations!
    Nice looking HQ's in the pics to, my first 2 cars were HQ's, 1 good one one crap!

Steve

Quombi likes this.
  14. KombiMadness

Fantastic Dean & Hayley!

With the 4th gear popping out, just grab an old occy strap (bungy thingy) and fasten the hook ends around your heater knob. When you change to 4th on a longer highway stretch, just grab the bungy loop and put it over the gear stick to hold it in 4th. Low tech but works well.....
    See you there. :)

Quombi likes this.
  15. TheMonk

TheMonk Member

Gold! Love how you're keeping it so original too.

Quombi likes this.
  16. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

In a word, INSPIRING!

Quombi likes this.
  17. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Thanks all, it has been a full on last four months and very intense last month trying to get ready for the Bus Stop. With it being so close we had to try our best to get there and our best is what we gave. I think I will sleep all weekend now!

I like I said up front "To be driven and enjoyed".

I did take a little exception to the Shannons man the other day when I was swapping over the insurance when he said "so are you keeping it 'Rat'". I said 'Sorry if I offend but it's NOT Rat it's original!' from then on he changed his tune to 'survivor'.

melissa likes this.
  18. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Last Jobs

Few jobs still had to be done. Our ‘very newest’ items are ones of safety. They look a bit flash but fit the part. We only got enough for the three of us at the moment but Dno did find a Holden one as a backup in the back. We shall get some more down the track for the other passengers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We also installed two extinguishes behind the front seats.

Gave the sunburn some long awaited ‘cream’ (Ankor wax).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were all keen for a drive to Millthorpe today but popped the hatch to find a good fuel leak. The fuel pump was leaking (running!) around the seal so I cut a new gasket which Dno replaced and it should get us through the weekend.
    [​IMG]

So we got to Millthorpe for a cuppa (with the sunroof open!) and were soon joined by another delux! Unfortunately this one won’t be making the Bus Stop as it has a severe oil leak.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We got home and changed the oil and put it up on ramps to do the final check over ( that hoist is still calling).
    [​IMG]

Next stop, Bus Stop. We hope to see you all after lunch tomorrow at camp.

Syncro27 likes this.
  19. seano

seano Member

Happy Easter you three...from us three. You've done outstandingly. Three times over....

Quombi likes this.
  20. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Well as most of you know we made it to The Bus Stop. Bus went well and after the first drive to Forbes things settled into place. I even got to drive halfway home and enjoyed it. Thanks to all the great comments and feedback, it a great feeling to know others appreciate what we are doing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]