1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition wiring problem

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Stuvada, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

I have inherited a 72 low light panel van. It has been off the road for 15 years and I am trying to get it going again. Some time ago the ignition key barrel jammed and the previous owner cut the wires, installed a push button started and a toggle switch to the coil. The wiring appears to have been altered over the years.

I have managed to get the solenoid wires connected OK so it turns over, but not the coil wires. I have a wiring diagram for the 72 but it appears somewhat different especially the wiring colours. Can anyone please tell me where I should connect the two coil wires? I was getting the ignition on all the time but not at all now. The ignition switch meters out fine. This also has an old alarm fitted.

Thanks.

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Stuvada,
    I know nothing:( (other than the black wire is quite often the power wire in a Kombi:confused:) but this post will bring you back into prominence & the members with knowledge may post:).
    Cheers

3. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Depending if the engine type may have been changed since it came out of the factory, the wiring may be different to a type 1 set up from the factory, but basically you should have a wire that is live at the positive of the coil when the ignition is on, and also once the solenoid on the starter is engaged. The negative of the coil should be connected to the distributor . Ignore everything else until you find that at the engine end. From there you can work back.

Is that what you are asking?

Adrian

David H likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

The wire going to the ignition normally is black (positive )and the one going to the distributor is normally green(negative)

Mordred and David H like this.
  5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Good point Wayne, I was working on the fact it seems there may be little of the original wiring there, so thought looking at what you do have and trying to find something that fits the application.

Adrian

6. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

Thanks for your input guys. I know what should be however I now have a live line to the coil all the time the battery is connected. I am trying to trace back to where it is getting power. What I would really like to know is where the connections are to the coil supply wire (e.g. light switch). The colour of the wire at the coil is yellow with a black stripe. It appears to go to the fuse box. The trouble is it is live when connected or not connected to the fuse box. i.e both sides of the fuse are live without the fuse. Thanks.

7. Wayne murray

Light switch wire is black with yellow strip from the light switch to the 10th fuse holder then from there to the ignition switch.(wire thickness from light switch to fuse box is different thickness then the wire from fuse box to ignition switch but same colour) There should be no wire from coil that is black with yellow strip on 72 kombi , unless it has been added for some other unknown purpose. Are you sure it goes to fuse box from coil have you traced it to under the car into the main wire harness from front to back on the right hand side of car (or inside RHS of main chassis rail) or is it separate to the rest of the harness.If it's separate it's been added in by previous owners.
    The main wire from coil (positive side) is black it goes to the 12th fuse holder then crosses over to 11th fuse holder then onto the ignition switch

8. Wayne murray

That is also quite true,knowing what is there or not (original or make shift) It could be all tied together with a rainbow show lace for all we know. :confused::eek:

Mordred likes this.
  9. Stuvada

Stuvada New Member

Thanks again to those who assisted me. I am pleased to say the issue seems to be resolved. The yellow black wire from the coil was a later addition it but changed back to black before the fuse box. I removed some other odd wires from the ignition switch and seems to have solved the problem. I will still need to find out what the other wires were used for. Most likely accessories.

Mordred likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

If you are unsure about extra wires and don't know what they are for take photos of them before removal .Get the car back to original wiring set up and everything works. Then add any extra accessories you are planning. Or it will become a spaghetti meat balls :eek::confused: a mess that is hard to clean up without burning it.

syncro and Mordred like this.
  11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Nearly every second hand Volkswagen that I have bought, I have had to remove a few kilometers of cabling and then start again.

If it looks like shit then it is going to give you trouble.

Wayne murray and rstucke like this.