In Preparation for New Carbs

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Doc, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Active Member

As the title suggests I'm getting ready to put in the new Solex 44mm I bought some months ago
    [​IMG]

To do this I needed to get rid of my 05 disributor which had a pertronix ignition system in it amd was working perfectly and go to a mechanical advance. So I bought this:
    [​IMG]

At first I thought it wouldn't fit so I ended up getting an 09 just in case as the main plan is to keep Marley going as I make the changes gradually.

The distributor which is fat will fit in a type IV engine! Providing you remove the oil pressure switch and oil pressure gauge. VDO make a remote adaptor (Rubber hose with the correct fitting). This allows you to house the oil pressure sender somewhere more convenient.......

I then had to take out the old air filter while I fitted everything back in (no not the Carbs.....Only had an afternoon)

The Flame thrower 2 billet distributor has advance curves you can set '
    Initially I had 12 degrees idle and quick responce to 28 degrees........not as good as the 05 I don't think...... so tomorrow I am going 8-10 degrees and limmiter of 20 degrees
    Jake Raby has a few ideas about this so its not totally haphazard.
    Will take a few pics tomorrow and let you know what I think,.

Currently Marley is running well but just has that tiny bit of a lag that wasn't there with the old distributor.

2. Doc

Doc Active Member

Next step
    What to do with the oil breather.....stay tuned!

3. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Very nice Doc, can't wait to hear how it all goes. I really like those carb's - where did you get them?

I have been thinking about a set of Weber's.

Rev.

4. Doc

Doc Active Member

Rev; my learned friend and fellow foriegner I got them from the USA..... I didn't think I had the skills to keep the Webers "tuned" and in fact nothing I have learned has changed my mind. I think though it wont be long and I will go aftermarket EFI (CB performance) but stay tuned I will get these up and running!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  5. Doc

Doc Active Member

Spent some of the afternoon readjusting the springs and limmiters on the new distributor

Went for the mid range set of springs and limmitters of 20degress

So at idle 10-12 degrees and at 3000 rpm about 28 degrees.

Found out some of the acceleration hesitancy was caused by the new spark plug leads required the end caps on the sparkplugs to make contact (whoops.....ended up having to take the sparkplugs out to fit them )
    [​IMG]
    Took the car for a hoon ......120km no problems .....engine temp to 110 degrees though.

I certainly don't see any benefit of the new sexy chrome multi adjustable 28 degree limmitted distributor!! And the distributor was not a cheap 09......A lot of money for no improvement in performance but as the title of the thread states gotto have it for the new carbs

6. Doc

Doc Active Member

Installed the Oil Cooler today
    Problems:
    I went for 1/2inch int diametre hose and its not fun to play with.
    I bought a real of garden hose and chopped to the exact length i needed. Unfortunately my hydaulics guy thought I was a little short in the hose department and added a foot to my long hoses and 6 inches to my short hose.... probably need to take the lot back and have them shortened but as I said 1/2 inch internal diameter hose is not fune to feed though.

I tried to follow the VWMA guidelines for installing the oil cooler....But couldn't manage securing the aluminium angle in the channels so I got a friend with a mig to weld nuts onto squares of steel and set them in the channel
    [​IMG]

I also couldn't get the oil hose past the heater intake so I went with a remote oil filter and put an end spinner on where the old oil filter was
    [​IMG]
    The boys also welded a bracket for the remote oil filter and I mounted it up high
    [​IMG]

7. Doc

Doc Active Member

Lookin again at the cooler to remote oil filter I am going to get 6 " removed and it should be perfect!

Connected up the rear hoses and saw my trusty Vw guy who has already mady a stainless cover to sandwich the hoses for me and protect them.
    [​IMG]

8. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Just brilliant work Doc you must be one happy doc now with the oil cooler !

sticky on this photos super !

9. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Gee Doc, the more I look at this thread the more I am convinced to keep our's standard.....TOO MUCH HARD WORK and way too technical for me.........fantastic work, Marley is one very spoilt Kombi.................Lorraine

10. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Nice work as always Doc!

What was the cost breakdown on the oil cooler set up as I would like to do one on mine for the Queensland summer.

Also any chance on a parts breakdown?

Cheers Alex

11. Doc

Doc Active Member

Good question as long as no one tells kombiwidow

Cooler from Rocket Industries with thermostat fan...
    BM70297 = $391.68 inc

Spin On Oil Filter block off
    CIP1....$25 (rocket industries also has them)

Remote oil filter (Rocket Industries)
    PC1791 $58 + GST./in stock. (Remote mount 4 port) only.

1/2" lines, Nipples and Crimped fittings less than $200 (would have been cheaper but all my lines had to be shortened and that cost for the new fittings)

Incidental wiring and fuses $30

Mate with welder and metal............. bloody priceless!

12. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Thanks for that. I won't be telling anyone in Gunnadah thats for sure. I am my own mate with a welder so that is handy- I won't have to pay the welder much.

Did it take you a full day to put the cooler on?

Cheers Alex

13. Doc

Doc Active Member

Yes it took me a week, but remember I don't get much time to do anything and lots of time just to decide where and with what and those bloody inflexible hoses and putting them in and then taking them out and putting them in again!
    Probably is only a days work though. even just half a day. once you have your brackets and know what and where!

14. Doc

Doc Active Member

Mark 4 of my preparation of new carbs.......
    Changed the big MSD billett distributor.....A.J. Simms of Low Buggert supplied their SVDA and inserted.......This is my fouth distributor change and managed to stuffit badly ......firstly couldn't pull the MSD out and then couldn't get the new one in besides the "O" ring being a bit big.....180 degrees in the wrong direction hmmmmmmmmm.

All working now
    Interesting their timing advice........32 degrees all in with the Vacuum advance off.....of course I had to check what it was like with the vacuum on.....Over 40!.....hmmmmmmm

Appears to start and run well but didn't get to take it for a drive and remember I was usin it with stock Carbs.... The new 44mm Kadrons arrived today with the vacuum line installed from MR Simms........can't wait to try them.......stay tuned..........PS I now have some new old Kadrons 44m without vacuum lines if any one wants them....never used $700 ......with type IV intakes,,,

15. Doc

Doc Active Member

Also Connected up my inline heater fan and removed the old one in the back.........The replacement is a 4" bilge blower from ebay.....its noisier but no more noisier than any modern car fan and is no more efficient than the old one but I have been able to tidy up the back of the engine bay innnnnnn preparation for new carbs..

16. Vanders

Vanders Active Member

Hey Doc, can you post up some photos of the inline heater fan setup. I was also considering changing the old heater fan for something under the car.

Cheers,

Paul

17. Doc

Doc Active Member

Before and After

Well got a few hours on Saturday
    Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Doc

Doc Active Member

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I have a manifold leak secondary to using the old gaskets .........Bugger.......so the right hand Carburettor has to be removed ........

Left carburettor has the fuel breather going into it, the right has the crankcase breather.

19. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

nuthing like the minimalist approach thats a very neat looking engine bay now doc it encourages you to have a look and tinker about i hope it will perform as good as it looks
    regards
    john

20. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hey Doc

So you still have the carb's for sale?

Rev.