1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indonesian replicas

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by seashell, Mar 11, 2019.

1. seashell

seashell Member

Hi folks

Just wanting to know whether anyone has had anything to do with the replicas being built in Java or knows what they would be like - I noticed them when I was looking on www.thesamba.com.
    Thanks

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I don't know of any personally but if they are anything like the other stuff that has been imported from Indonesia, just don't even consider it. You would be paying for something substandard and would have to pay a lot more money to get it right - to save yourself the stress and hassle, just buy something here.

3. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Lots of stories on here about yumos vw from previous buyers an there issues getting them registered and the qaulity of finished work.
    If your on f.b. search for yumos with a video of the factory shop.
    Youll see a bunch of shiny paint cars lined up being worked on by staff welding right infront of them an look at the metal grinding sparks flying all over them.
    Youd want to see a bare metal car at pre paint an bog stage before parting with your hard earned cash.
    The splitscreen conversions are built using a bay window kombi or some people say brasilian 15 window bases.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2071320

$60,000 Aus + shipping

time : 12 month to finish.

Term payment
    A. 50 % deposit
    B. 25% after painting
    C. 25 % before shipping.

mmmmmmm...............although I dont have personal experience, that's a lot of coin to stump up as a deposit.

Cant say I have heard any glowing "you must do it" reports

bad enough getting a resto done here

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Barry. It's bad enough doing a resto here when you can keep a close eye on how things are going (progress faults etc)little lone thousands of miles away in a different country that there standards are totally different. I'd rather spend that amount of coin here and if things do go wrong at least you have more come back here.

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I am totally blown away at the skills that Yumo's Garage has. They produce some pretty amazing busses given their stating point.
    But I would personally never consider buying one. Looking at photos is more then enough.

I would rather spend my money on an old bus and upgrade the mechanicals to make it reliable and go from there. Much less risk.

7. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought being made in bali theyd be in the $40k mark

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

They are ....... but in $US :p:cool::confused:

:)

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Possibly worth the risk back when the $Aus hit $1.10 against the $US

10. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Maybe if you're thinking of spending $60,000 on a bali bus, spend $600 on an airline ticket and go there to check them out in person.

Grantus likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Generally speaking.
    Avoid Bali busses like the plague.

Especially if imported into au by some expat or local dealer..
    I have seen plenty of photos of real dodgy busses with claims of being the best ever.
    Utter BS.

On the other hand...
    A mate ,well versed in doing his own split resto's, has visited yumos and was impressed by what they do with a hammer and block of wood and a sheet of metal.
    Given that, there are still numerous important details that make these easy to pick from a genuine .
    Having viewed a couple of the " good" ones I am surprised how people can expect the asking prices.
    They are overpriced given the cheap Bali labour and obvious " non genuine" details.

Im not a purist but I wouldn't buy one.