1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspired by Sunshine Coast Show ( So lets treat some rust )

Discussion in 'Body' started by Ralph, May 30, 2016.

1. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Hi all , went to the Sunshine Coast gathering yesterday , after comparing all the Bays to ours the wife and l got all inspired to do some preventative maintenance , while the old girl languishes in its cozy shed , ( no not the missus ) so the front doors are showing rust in the bottom section that sits over the wheel when closed , so ive got the cards off , looking inside its not that ugly just a build up of dust and old body sealer l think ,
    so do I flush this out with a hose or is that a no no , l can live with the small amount of rust just want to arrest it so it wont get worse , plan is to get it mechanically right before worrying about flash paint and bling ,its a straight old girl anyway ,
    cheers Ralph

2. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Hi Ralph

I've been doing a bit of updating of my old girls and whilst there are others on here far more qualified then me I'd suggest a good vacuum and use a wire brush. Products available at Bunnings include Penetrol and odourless fish oil (good info on here about the differences). A popular external application is Anchor Wax. I'm using all 3 On my camper.

I'd still do the bling though and keep the paint original.

3. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Thanks Mark , will check Bunnings on the next inevitable trip ,

4. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Ive been using a combination of a good quality rust converter, and penetrol and fergusons KO knock out rust. cleaning any flake or bubbles with the wire brush and converter, then been spraying penetrol first into all cavaties and seams and then KO over any holes or areas that showed pitting. the KO has tar and a rust converter in it and seems to seal better, but the penetrol definitely penetrates better. CBUS has been testing a few brands and has a thread on here about what he's found.
    Underneath I used to use lanolin spray, but recently bought a three step cleaner, converter, hardened paint, body paint kit similar to por 15. Ive only done the front wheel arches and under the cab with it so far, but over the last 6mths it definitely seems to have resisted stone spray from the 4km of dirt road and cowshit from the three dairies I pass every day without chip or damage.

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Any protection product, to stop, or even slow the rust progress, is better than doing nothing. ;)

If there is no long term plan to have the rust cut out, and replaced, an ongoing program of application of inhibitors is wise.:)

old grey likes this.