Installing a 2nd hand three way fridge

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by openwindows, Apr 10, 2017.

1. openwindows

openwindows New Member

Hi, I am have my Kombi for years and have been carrying espies and ice for far too long because the fridge never worked. I have finally sourced a second hand replacement that is working. I just need some help installing it. Seems lots of camper van fitters will only install new fridges and all way out of my price range. Any suggestions on where I could get old fridge removed and new one installed? Thanks Alison

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Alison,
    Welcome to the Kombi Club. Your bus looks like it's a Sopru conversion & after 76. If the fridge is behind the drivers seat it's really easy to swap if it's 'like for like'. Original fridge is an Electrolux.
    Tell me what you have now & what's going in there? Brand?

Cheers,

3. openwindows

openwindows New Member

It is an Electrolux. And the one going in is exactly the same. I just don't know the electrical and gas fittings enough to feel safe having a go myself

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Be aware that these fridges do not have a " normal" sound when running. There is no compressor and they need at least 6 hrs running on 240v to cool down....this is why many folks think they are broken, they are not. A damn good unit when operated properly....
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H and Poptop like this.
  5. Weekender

Weekender Active Member

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That's right Leo.....stock Sopru setup had 12v available only when engine running.
    Best results I've had are to cool the unit down on 240v the night before a trip, switch to 12v when driving, then switch to 240v again if on a powered site or lpg if not.
    I've done many many miles without a problem with this type of fridge....just gotta get to know it ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Weekender and David H like this.