1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a BlazeCut fire suppression system

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by jobell, Jan 15, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I know;)
    Cheers

2. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

I've watched it and still not convinced but if it makes you happy..... Me, I would rather spend the money on maintenance of the fuel system as I don't imagine they spontaneously combust.

tom

3. David H

Hi Tom,
    Sure does make me happy. My 2 year old was in her child seat in the back when it happened in 94. Had to get her out of burning bus before I could deal with burning bus. Rather avoid that again;).
    The fuel injected sure did 'spontaneously combust' when the cold start injector let go of the crimped plastic head & squirted fuel 'at pressure' straight at dissy 5cm away.:oops::mad:. Instant fuel fire.
    But you do have a point that weeping carburetors in a tight unventilated engine compartment with spark happening is a recipe for disaster.:rolleyes:
    Cheers

4. ozferret

ozferret Member

Just a quick update, it arrived today (just under 2 weeks). There was apparently a mix-up on the courier's part. I can now recommend this supplier as they kept me informed once I emailed them and they replied very quickly to my emails.

5. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Don't tell me Star Track?

AJD

6. ozferret

ozferret Member

No, Couriers Please. Not surprising as I have had issues with them before, particularly their Ballarat agents.

7. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Fitted my 3m yesterday. Took some photos of the layout I adopted and how I fixed it in position. Before fitting I did some internetting to try and find other examples of 3m installed that looked nice and tidy but I couldn't find too much that I was a fan of. So I've taken some photos and documented what I did to install it, hopefully it's of use to others.

I wanted to go with an S pattern and the 3m was a push on length to do this, so I mapped out the engine bay and structure on the floor of my house with masking tape. This was a much easier way to map out mounting points than doing it on the fly with the blaze cut flapping about in the engine bay. I then knew exactly where I wanted to drill holes and could confidently drill and screw fit all cable ties before even picking up the blaze cut in the engine bay. Then with all cable ties installed I just bend and lift the blaze cut into position, loop and tighten the cable ties.

Summary as follows:
    • fitted with screw type 'mounting' cable ties, didn't want to cable tie to the perforated board to avoid sagging
    • screwed to (1) front bulkhead, (2) central transverse pressed frame and (3) rear pressed frame above hatch
    • The bend to do this S arrangement is at the limit of what the blaze cut can bend to at a minimum. It just manages it but be careful when manoeuvring it around the engine bay. I accidentally kinked mine when lifting over the carbs and as a result the rear bend now has a kink - bummer! The bend radius is about 300mm at both front and back bends so it can do it, just be careful if you're bending this tight. If I were to do it again I'd do the same layout as I think it works and looks most tidy, i'd just be much more patient handling the blaze cut to minimise risk of kinking.
    • The pressure gauge is at the front left and not as easily visible as I'd like. However, I was happy with this at it gave a nice straight finishing edge and I simply left an inch or so of space so I could slip a small (make-up style or similar) mirror or next to it to view the gauge.
    • I'll probably also add an additional cable tie mid bend fixed to the longitudinal frame, this will remove the blazecut sag on the right hand side.
    On the topic of the minor kinking of the hose. I'm quite sure this will not effect it's deployment in the event of a fire, and certainly won't cause it to deploy late or not at all. However, I'm uncertain whether it is at risk of deploying at a lower pressure should the kink make a weak point. I'm comfortable enough it will generally work as it should, or at least I don't value the risk high enough to buy another one.

Kink aside, I'm surprised how tidy it looks if you take the time get things nice and straight.

0 Blazecut floor plan.jpg 1 Blazecut wide 1.jpg 2 Blazecut wide 2.jpg 3 Blazecut through lid.jpg 4 Blazecut front bulkhead.jpg 5 Blazecut central fixture.jpg 6 Blazecut rear fixture above hatch.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. David H

'S' or 'M'' install?
    2 batteries meant I wanted to get out a bit wider to cover them & f/inj previous failure & fire re cold start valve (next to dissie) meant I wanted to cover that twice!! The 'spark & fuel' close to each other. 2 reasons to double up!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If Blazecut came with LED strip lighting included, how easy would it be to check for problems in the engine bay at night? :rolleyes:

Chidori likes this.
  10. David H

Now there is a thought I could go with:D. How handy for night oil level checks or engine bay problems:rolleyes:. Strip LED's with engine bay opening activated. Great thought. Bonus points Grantus!! :cool: Used to have fluro in engine bay so many years ago. I'm in;) & now got 2 strips around engine bay. One to watch the fire & one to put it out (blaze cut) :cool:.
    Cheers

11. David H

Just bought 3 x 5m led's for (engine bay) & somewhere else around the Kombi. Great suggestion Grantus. $25 delivered.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Grantus likes this.
  12. David H

And this is what it looks like. Great thought Grantus;).
    Night time picture.
    P1100938.jpg2 Engine bay 2.jpg

3 metres up high. Very happy with your thought:D.
    And still on topic as you can see the Blaze Cut!
    Cheers

Sahara Hilton and ruby6689 like this.
  13. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

I bought a blazecut at the Nationals so it's great to have this thread as a reference thanks all...

14. Grantus

Can't confirm, but posts on another forum say that this and other systems are no longer available, or legal at present in Oz.....o_O

15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

???

16. Grantus

You may need to be a DSK member to read the full thread:

http://www.dsk.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24797

The info in one post 8 Aug 2017, states an enquiry reply:

"I regret to inform you that at this stage due to national licencing requirements in Australia, the supply of the BlazeCut fire suppression systems is on hold.
    We are in the process to re-evaluate the supply channels for Australia."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Sahara Hilton likes this.
  17. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope it's sorted or an alternate product is found before Summer.

Grantus likes this.
  18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I think what the problem is that you cant buy and install yourself - they have to be fitted by the seller.

Grantus likes this.
  19. ozferret

ozferret Member

I'm not a member (yet) anyone know what licensing requirement they are referring to?

20. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

It is an import license, I ordered mine from SmallCar and had no problem but it was over a year ago.