Installing a BlazeCut fire suppression system

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by jobell, Jan 15, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

"Or legal in OZ". So putting out a fire is now illegal? Bring on the wet hessian bag!;)
    I'm with OSF. WTF?????? If I can't understand something I follow the money trail & this reeks of that. Somebody trying to 'corner the market' to maximise profit as they've realised we all want one. Glad I got mine before an installer was needed. How hard can it be to put 8 supplied cable ties in place:mad::confused::eek::rolleyes:. 1 year training & a university degree??
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Must have something to do with the chemicals it contains? But why the install bit?o_O
    Cheers

Ted2 likes this.
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I have asked a local retailer/installer and he is getting back to me - he is waiting on a reply himself from the importer who is currently overseas.

Sahara Hilton likes this.
  4. samba61

samba61 Active Member

check out Fireboy from vw air-cooled works in the uk...no need for a hose and it won't fill your engine bay with powder.

DSC09873.JPG

Sahara Hilton and Syncro27 like this.
  5. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

Combing back to May 2017 on Page 3, steve_4802 had obtained some cautionary advice from Shannons.
    Amusingly however, I found that this is also on Shannon's own website -
    https://www.shannons.com.au/club/directory/pgf-fire-solutions/
    Elsewhere, David H has observed that the BlazeCut fire suppressant is a liquid (i.e., not a dry-powder), and that it leaves no residues. (That is what their youtube advertorials do seem to show.)
    Whether a BlazeCut possible might do any other "damage attributable to the .. fire suppression system", that may be insurable or not-insurable in Shannon's view, seems to an unknown yet to be determined.
    I have yet to get that Shannon's website's Link(s) to pgf-fire-solutions to work.

The hunt goes on ..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Here’s the content of that link. Seems like Shannons have at least someone there that likes Blazecut.

7A1EFB83-3E76-46FD-AFDD-BA08535ED807.jpeg

7. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Better quality image.
    98EB97A1-E9E7-483D-B1E0-3A5F5FE09343.jpeg

8. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

I didn't bother actually posting more than the web-link, as that green webpage contains nothing particularly useful to my understanding, compared with the various inputs made to the TWO relevant Threads posted by KC Members who have actually installed BlazeCuts.
    Seemingly, no-one has had a vehicle saved from disaster, among KC posters. Better safe than sorry !
    The Irony, to me, was that Shannons would permit the pgf Business to have an advertorial on their /Club/Businesses, about a product NOT being acknowledged ( other than in the Negative, potentially ) by Shannons. I suppose that it would be downplayed as simply Shannons Club info.
    KC Members with Shannons insurances HAVE installed BlazeCuts, despite any possible reservations by Shannons' Policy fine print .
    I still have not got anywhere with that website's Link to pgffire.com.au.
    PGF was in W.A. Their most recent Facebook page posting was in February 2016.
    Their webpage's Server cannot be found now.
    From what others have posted, the current Newcastle, NSW ( albeit NON-) -Supplier is yet to become a BlazeCut retailer again.
    SEE Melissa's posting immediately above the blue "Fireboy" picture, on this page. i.e., Permalink #83.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Toying with running the double sensor version of one of these.
    One for oil temp.
    The other attached to a suitable sized plate of Al or copper attached to engine bay roof as a temp sensor for fire.

Obviously doesn't fight fire but could makeup a CO2 manual or automatically triggered system pretty easily.

Thoughts?

Another alternative for the second sensor is modify signal or change thermistor to create a head temp sensor ?

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Head temp. sensor ?
    There’d be systems going off left right n centre based on what temps.some folks say they’re getting :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah :)
    Might get up them to sort their engine rather than abuse it and claiming ' these things are unkillable' ;)
    Na. Wouldn't use head temp for triggering.
    Just an alternative use of one sensor to guage.
    Would only do fire detect off the metal plate. Figure it gets heated same as for blazecut and both metals have good conductivity.
    Settable triggering temp handy.
    Think the blazecut is about 130C ?
    Highest heat soak temps in engine bay at a guess ( easily established) prob 80 ish.

oldman likes this.
  12. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

THIS is where you can find Fireboy information from the UK.
    http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/Fire-Extinguisher-System.html
    That website says the Extinguishant gas used was/is heptafloropropane .
    Price UK Pounds 225, plus unknown (to me) postage and handling,
    PROVIDED THAT heptafloropropane is now allowed to be imported into Australia.
    D.I.Y. installation apparently was allowed in UK.
    In 2015, there was an announcement about a 'sole' source of Fireboy across Australia. See -
    http://www.fire-protection.com.au/news/fireboy-is-back-in-australia
    Then, their emphasis was on Marine applications. However, seemingly it used (3M) Novec 1230™(C6 Fluroketone) Fire Protection Fluid, rather than (obsolescent ?) heptafloropropane .
    From US BlazeCut webpages -
    http://blazecut.com/extinguishing-agents/ and http://blazecut.com/small-enclosures/description/
    says that "(t)he BlazeCut system uses HFC-227ea or HFC-236fa .." in their "T-series - Small Enclosures" tubular system.
    (They also state that "Novec 1230 fluid is a next-generation halon and HFC replacement ..").
    Another website -
    http://firesystemsproducts.com.au/top-fire-extinguishers/fm200-refill.html
    includes -
    " FM-200 (or "heptafluoropropane") may also be labeled as FE-227, HFC-227 or HFC-227ea (depending upon the system manufacturer). Regardless of the name on the tank, it is all HFC-227ea."
    BlazeCut cannot be re-filled. Their tubular system is a one-time-use sensor and deliverer.
    The present unavailability of BlazeCut in Australia may relate to what Extinguishant gases are legally allowed in Australia. Also, WHO may install one is now in contention.
    KC is awaiting further formal advice from the Australian BlazeCut suppliers, about both i. availability, AND ii. whether former D.I.Y. installation is no longer to be permitted. SEE Melissa's posting above at Permalink #83.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018