installing window winder mechanism

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Mothership, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mothership

Mothership Member

i already posted this in the interior of the bay tech but i thought id post another improved one hear, with pics. at the moment i am helping two other people but on seperat threads so i thought id make one. now the pictures wont properly match the descriptions because i just took them now but bare with me. hopefully the pictures and the comments make sence, when i was putting in the pics i had a bit of trouble.

I’ll just go through the steps I did to remove it all. I couldn’t find that much info about how to remove it properly so I learnt as I went. Some of it you may find a better way to do it but whatever you feel is better. I apologise in advance, it’s hard to describe something’s without any pictures.

Firstly wind down the window.

To get the winder handle off, peel back the plastic rubber stuff not much just until you can see a screw. Unscrew that and the handle is off. There are no nuts at all removing and installing

[​IMG]

The next part is to remove the plastic from the door handle to get the door card off properly. Near the leaver there is a dip and on one end of this is a small opening. Use a screwdriver and gently pry out the indent.

[​IMG]

After doing that there is a screw and a weird washer type thing unscrew that and remove the outer plastic that surrounds the leaver.

[​IMG]

Now that the door cover is off the real work begins. Now you can see where the window mechanism is in the door. Remove the glass from the slider, there should be two screws to get it off. Gently lower the glass to the bottom.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Mothership

Mothership Member

The next step is to remove the mechanism from the door. To the middle of the door there is the long straight part to the mechanism (runner) with 4 bolts (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom). They may be a bit tight so use a bit of the wonderful CRC or wd40.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next remove the winding part again just 2 bolts.

Now to remove the mechanism out the quarter glass window has to be moved. In the door bellow the quarter window is a round hole and in this is a screw. This is one of two things holding it in. Remove the screw and move to the top of the door.

[​IMG]

Along the top of the door is a felt track where, when the window is wound up sits in. With a pair of long nose pliers grab the felt and pull it out, not all of it probably until half is free from the metal.

[​IMG]

3. Mothership

Mothership Member

You should now see a small screw, remove this. Now the quarter window is free. All you have to do now is move is sideways so that the window mechanism can be moved freely out. Moving the window is a tricky job; mine was pretty secured in and took a bit of effort to move.

[​IMG]

Note: the metal thing in the pic is what hold the felt in and obstructs the quarter window when removing it.

The trick is to push down on the window because there is a small bit off metal that keeps the felt in place that’s in the way of moving the quarter window.You don’t have to fully remove the window to get the mechanism out. Just move it enough until the mechanism can slide out.

[​IMG]

Now installing the new mechanism. As I told before I got mine from the bus stop. I put it in to check it fitted properly...wrong. There were a few things wrong with it; first it was larger in shape and length. When the winder part went in its hole but where the runner was, to the right of the door, it didn’t line up with the holes, big problem.

[​IMG]

Just me seeing it the new one will fit and trying to overcome the problem

The other problem was that it was bent wrong. I fixed that problem by just bending it back slowly and gently doing little bits at a time. There was nothing I could to about the length. I bolted the winder part and the bottom of the winder. There was allot of bending and replacing until I got it right or close to. At the top of the runner where the bolts were I had to drill 2 new holes (due to the length and I couldn’t bend it far enough).

[​IMG]

Note: i had two goes at drilling the new holes to get it just right. in the end the on the left the holes were close together so the bold wouldnt hold properly so i used a washer.

Once I was happy, screw on the window to the little metal rectangle on the runner. Make sure the window is attached to the metal thing the right way or the window is loose and will fall off. The only thing wrong about it now is the last 10mm of winding the window up it becomes tough as the straight thing on the mechanism that moves starts to run up onto the bend of the mechanism (due to it being larger). If you didn’t have this problem installing should be very simple and straight forward.

Now push back the quarter window, put the little screw back in. Put the felt back in. Put the screw at the bottom of the window. And that’s it.

I hope that makes sense and helps you. I tried to put in all the info I could. Like I said it would be easier if there were pictures but at the time I forgot so hopefully I described everything as best I could. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

73kombi likes this.
  4. dakbus

dakbus Member

Mothership, you rock mate, your hard work saved me hours. I picked up one of these winder mechanisms (drivers side) from Classic Vdub on the way home from work this afternoon, i wondered how the hell i was going to get the job done, i then found this great HOW TO and the process took a little over an hour. I ran out of daylight so will finish the trim tomorrow.
    Thanks again, Steve.

5. kbskombi

kbskombi Member

Foot Note

Great post
    Can i add to take care if your window's have tint on it. mine was stuck in the down position so was obstructed tried to worm it out and scratched the hell out of it:rolleyes: sill boy

73kombi likes this.
  6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

this was so helpful i never thought i would get that thing changed! but i am stuck with getting the piece of glass out of the rubber seal did u change yours by chance i got all my stuff from the bus stop to and it seems it has the same problem.

thanks so much :):)

7. Roscoeboff

Roscoeboff New Member

Window winder

Thanks heaps also for this article! I thought I would never get this job done, it was really frustrating. I have a Haynes manual which explained the procedure for installing a new regulator, however it just didn't explain how to get the front window guide out the way so you could remove the old part, it simple said push away from bracket.

Anyway thanks again - great article and well documented with photos!

Cheers :)

8. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

This deserves sticking...

Done.

9. Leroy C

Leroy C New Member

Mate, thank you so much. This is brilliant. It is also a great example of how far people will go to help others.
    VERY much appreciated.
    Have a happy day.
    Leroy

10. JEFFRO74CAMPER

JEFFRO74CAMPER New Member

thanx mothership

Job done, I did scratch the window doing it.

But at least I can wind window up & down now (bit tight like yours).

I also got a hacksaw to the "crimped" bit at the bottom of the regulator.
    It was too long by a coupla cm to line up with the bolt holes in the door. The old regulator I pulled out, had the same modification.

Cheers again mate, made an almost impossible job, possible with some expletives.......:D

11. roqsta

roqsta Member

I cant thank you enough. I just gave up in disgust , wedged a piece of wood in there so i can make the school run in the morning and jumped on the forum. Had i read this earlier i would be finished by now.
    I cut the old mechanism out then spent 2 hours looking at a door trying to imagine myself as a 1970's german auto designer. A few glasses of wiskey and i still couldnt nail it. See how i go tomorrow! thanks again
    Paul

12. butternut

butternut Member

Hi folks, all that have tried this...... how did you go removing the door card? i simply want to remove the card to re-fix the trim but the clips are holding the door card to tightly. i bent one of the clips back but it just snapped how do i get the darn clips to let go?

13. grumble

grumble Active Member

Ease the trim back,slip a screwdriver between the clip and the door and twist gently then continue to the next clip.

14. marleneturtle

marleneturtle New Member

Just had to let you know that I installed window winding mechanism today (by myself) and feel quite proud :). I try to do as much as I can and found this instruction quite helpful. I got my right hand drivers side mechanism from VW Heritage for total cost $54.77. I was sceptical but the mechanism fitted perfectly to my T2 VW Kombi. Very fiddly but I have loads of patience. Also made sure that I had the right tools. Main surprise was when the mechanism fell out when I tipped and slightly pulled out the corner window. New mechanism just slipped in fine. Only minor adjustments (a bend here and there). Thank you so much!

15. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

A broad flat screwdriver. Start at the bottom so scratching wont be a problem..

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

you dont even need to move the quarter window, just undo the bottom bolt and you can push the reg in between the mount and quarter window. less dis assembly.

17. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Easier if the winder is the first thing in the door....

18. Bretto

Bretto New Member

Mothership, exactly what I was after, but my problem is that my winding part just spins with no movement in the window. I have pulled it all apart and still can't get the main window down to remove the quarter window.
    Any suggestions?

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Think the window bolts on to the winder mechanism. 2 small bolts. Maybe can reach??

20. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

The Kombi I'm looking at currently has wood in it to keep the window from falling down on both sides!

I'm assuming this is a common fault and the part needed is this?