1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance for our Kombi

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by The Fennemores, May 4, 2010.

1. The Fennemores

The Fennemores New Member

Hi All!

We are (as from this afternoon) now proud owners of a 1977 Kombi :) We're very excited but have had no end of trouble insuring the bloody thing!

We want to insure it for $8,000 (purchase price) but NRMA said it's market value is only $3,000 and won't insure it for 8.

What I would like to know is where on earth you can but a kombi like ours for $3K - not even remotely possible. Also as we start the resto work - the kombi will be worth more and more as we go along.

Allianz wouldn't insure it at all because it's over 30 years old.
    We couldn't cover it as a vintage or special edition or anything like that because we will be using it for "general use" and blah blah blah blah......

Could anyone shed some light and who they insure with and how we can get it insured for at least $8,000.

Many Many thanks!

2. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Shannons.

Say that your heavily involved in the local VW scene and that you LOVE VW and everything but try to sound like an enthusiast, not a crack pot.

3. The Fennemores

Oh but Jon.... there is a very very very fine line between the two!

Thanks - we'll give them a try :)

Lani likes this.
  4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Good stuff.

I prefer crack pot myself....

5. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

NRMA classic and vintage will insure you.As long as you do less than 9000 kms a year.

6. The Fennemores

spearsy; we tried NRMA - we currently have insurance with them. We were told that to be classified 'classic or vintage' and to get insurance under that banner we can only use it for recreation on the weekends. Can't be used to go to work, do the groceries, take the kids to school etc etc.... we will be using it daily for all the above. Is yours insured with them?

7. The Fennemores

G, O, GG, O ...... the Goggo Mobeal.....

8. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

yes,I have at the moment but might have to go with shannons as I'm using it more now.Starting to be my daily.

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I have found it is a very curvy line.

Due to the fact that I seem to bounce from side to side quite regularly (sorry about spelling!!)

10. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Go with Shannons - they will also do your greenslip if you have the car insured with them. My greenslip on the Golf this year was $310 compared to $398 with GIO. They give you a discount on any other cars you have insured with them too - I have 4 cars insured with them and the 75 is listed as the daily driver.

Make sure you do a search of insurance threads on here (see the search button up the top?). That will give you some ideas - you might get knocked back the first time you call. You can strike some trouble if its a camper - especially with gas for cooking if its installed. If yours is a microbus - then call it a microbus - dont call it a kombi because if you are talking to someone on the other end of the phone who is a Holden enthusiast and has no idea what a kombi could be, you could also strike someone who might not be as helpful as you might need. It all depends on who answers your call. Good luck.

11. The Fennemores

Still no luck! I just tried an online quote with Shannons - Put in $8,000 and it said that it is above the "allowable limit" for that model. This is getting silly!
    YOU CAN'T REPLACE THIS CAR FOR $3,000 - I don't know what part of that is difficult to understand?
    I'm beginning to get a little bit cranky with these insurance companies.....

12. The Fennemores

@ Melissa; RE: who you get on the phone when you call...... lol... couldn't be further from the truth. The guy from NRMA asked me how you spell VOLKSWAGEN. Ah Hello?

I think I will try calling Shannons tomorrow and hope I get lucky. It is a microbus. No cookin will be goin on in there!

13. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Call them tomorrow. Forget the online quote. Microbus - you will have no problems - and make sure you say you are in the Kombi Club - its very important to them that you are an enthusiast.

14. scooby

scooby Member

I went through the same thing a couple weeks ago...you do have to ring Shannons, can't just do it online. And as has been said, depends who you get...good luck.

I ended up going with ING for now (will upgrade to Shannons, etc. as the resto progresses), as they'll automatically give a value of $5.5k up to over $7k, depending on your Kombi, and can have it as a daily driver no prob...might be worth having a look.

15. The Fennemores

Found the "search" tool - Thanks. Still learning the site. We're brand new to Kombi Club :)
    Will let you know how I go with Shannons - I'll try to sound very 'enthusiastic'

16. ozeddie

ozeddie New Member

Im with CIL (www.cilinsurance.com.au)

They were good and agreed to the value of Klaus at $20.000 after I sent photos.

Let us know how you go. All the best

Will

17. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi
    I went with Shannons after a ring around of some others. Thanks to the threads here I actually rang Shannons a second time - someone different answered and I insured my '69 bus for 10K without photos and for a cheaper premium than what was quoted on my first call.

Good luck!

18. drps1

drps1 New Member

I had the same problem.I sent an online request and got the best girl on the phone from shannons . Told her that I was in the club and all was sweet for 11500. I have her email addy if you want it. She was awsome

19. The Fennemores

Thanks everyone. I didn't get to call them today - I have a teething baby and just couldn't make the call. I will try all these angles and ring back if I don't get any joy the first time. As for the email.... could I email her??

20. kombiboys

kombiboys New Member

Shannon's for my Kombis even the v8 kombi know trouble as long as you tell them you are a enthusiast you are right