Insurance for our Kombi

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by The Fennemores, May 4, 2010.

1. cruisyfun1

cruisyfun1 New Member

6ths months ago got our kombi rang afew ins companys no go rang shannons said price no worries ins on spot agreed price i thought how easy they wereso nice and easy to deal with no photos sent happy as

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have a renewal for insurance with NRMA and the agreed value is $7,650. Shannons have seen the Doka and agreed to insure it for $22,000. I rang NRMA and the 16yo girl would not increase the value. This happened last year with the syncro, and the day that I insured it with Shannons, the NRMA rang and agreed to insure it for the same value as Shannons. Why does the NRMA have 16yo girls working for them?

I bet that once I have insured with Shannons that NRMA will call me to match it.

What should I do?

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Check the details: ie do you get salvage rights,choice of repairer,guaranteed repairs etc. etc. these are the things that make one Co. better than the other imo. Cheers, Mark

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

But how do I get NRMA to inure it for $22k before I insure with Shannons?

5. shaven

shaven Active Member

Shannons
    agreed value with salvage rights. i have all mine with them!!!

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I am swayed by the fact that Shannons give you cheaper Greenslips if you have your insurance with them.

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Get a cover note from Shannons & see if NRMA will match based on that.....I've moved all our's from NRMA - frickn' useless when it came to a claim a few years ago = not kombi related......

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I will testify to the Shannons Insurance system.

A mate crashed his lowlight about 2 weeks ago and with a buckled front floor, roof, front panel and passenger door it was written off for the agreed value (which is substantial) and Shannons just handed him the wreck without asking for 1 cent.

I had another brand of van about 15 years ago (too embarrasing to mention) and it was stolen, stripped and damaged and NRMA wrote it off and then took the van (wreck) and immediately cancelled the policy after they paid out. I had just renewed the policy 3 weeks prior so basically I lost 11 months insurance. Never went back to them again.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've just called NRMA again. A bloke answered the phone. "I want to insure my DOKA for $22k". "Yes we can do that".

Go figure.:umm:

10. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Yep..
    It happens alot.

11. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Forgot to mention,
    When the policy documents come through have a good read,
    I requested agreed value of $10K, Shannons used words similar to "$10k or purchse receipt value"
    Said that I had a fuel pump kill switch and earth isolator, they put it down as "approved security device", so I have been back to them for an update to my policy to make sure it reflects reality, best to get it right now rather than when I am making a claim (heaven frobid).

12. ick72

ick72 New Member

we tried to get one of our policies changed to the new van but because its a daily drive nrma will only ins 2000 top figure ... well be ringing shannons tomorrow i only stated an agreed amount of 5000 ....

13. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Let us know how you go,
    There seems to be a difference in service depending on who you get.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  14. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Inconsistency in quotes and customer service from insurance companies?........ nah, never! :lol:

15. Sonny73

Sonny73 New Member

LUMLEY'S!

When i bought my 73 panel, I called AAMI for a covernote. She asked me how much i paid - then asked me "are you sure you don;t mean you paid fourteen hundred? Not Thousand? Because we can only cover you for $1500.

A family friend with a 72 corvette put me onto Lumley's. Only costs me 500 a year, and is covered for what I paid for him :)

16. Rach

Rach Member

This insurance thing really got me pissed, I wanted to insure my van for 20k, Shannons told me that it wasn't old enough, GIO would only give me cover for 6k and several other independant insurers just kept telling me that either the van wan't old enough or they only did muscle cars...I really rang every one...Anyway I finaly found CIL who do caravans and campers and they said yes without any hesitation, I just had to send some pics to show that the Trakka conversion was compliant. My yearly cost is about 450.

17. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I insured with Shannons yesterday for 6k and cost is $234 per year, gotta luv that.

18. Kombiman85

Kombiman85 Member

I've had all my kombi's insured with Shannons. Shannons were the only ones that would give me the insure price i was after and their annual premiums were a lot cheaper. Thier service was great especially when i had my 73 ute written off out the front of my house by a drunk driver. it took a couple of months to rebuild her, tho shes back on the road.
    Kombiman85

19. skat66

skat66 Member

I have also just insured my kombi with Shannons for $20k and they were happy with that. I have four cars, two oldies and two modern with them and they have been great over the years with claims.

20. davidr

davidr Member

I just got a quote from Shannon's for my split. Agreed value, salvage rights and a few other features. $30K $460/year.

Pretty happy with that.. :)