1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance for our Kombi

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by The Fennemores, May 4, 2010.

1. rodz

rodz New Member

Good to hear Dave... told you it would be alright.:p

2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks for the tip with Shannons.
    Got ours all insured with agreed value of 10.5k with std $300 excess and limited use policy for $239 or $19p/m. Very happy with that, plus salvage rights too.
    He mentioned it would drop to $110 if we put her on historic rego and joined a car club. Cheap and cheerful! :)

Our existing insurer for the other cars - Youi - wouldn't touch it, they only go back to 1980.

3. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

We've recently made an insurance claim on my wife's X-trail, which had an 'Agreed Value' at the time of insuring of $32000. When it came time to claim, however, it was pointed out that "Agreed Value" actually meant Agreed Value OR Market Value +10%. We were also informed that because we had stated the purchase date of the car (Jan 09) rather than the build date on the compliance plate (Dec 08) that we had falsified our insurance papers and so, along with the market value, we were only going to get $21700. So 10-odd grand less than we "Agreed". GIO was the company concerned. (We will be seeking recompense from the ombudsman.)

That insurance companies are pricks that even put lawyers in the shade is not news, of course. I point it out because it got me thinking about some of our other cars. Our split is currently insured for 35000 (though this is shortly to be upgraded due to extensive work) but if Shannons were to use the same fancy footwork, our split, according to redbook, would be worth about $900 , so we'd end up getting $990 for a write-off plus salvage rights, bless their blackened hearts. Doesn't seem to be much value in insurance, then.

Anyone out there actually claimed on one Shannon's Agreed Value policies and get what they thought they were paying for? I want to stress that my cynicism comes purely from our experience of GIO; however, Shannons is owned by GIO, so it's a question worth asking.

4. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Holey moley...what hope have I got insuring a 1969!!? All my vintage vans have been insured with Shannon's soooo I am hoping that a history with them will count for something. I have been very happy with their service but then again have never made a claim. As soon as we collect "Oscar" I will be calling them...I will definitely say I am a member, I will definitely be saying they have come highly recommended by this forum & it's members, I will definitely try & sound like I am an enthusiast.....and I will definitely be unashamedly grovelling and if they could see me...I will be batting the eyelids like crazy......I'm scared at who will answer the phone....damn it!!!!

5. auschook

auschook Member

I had no trouble insuring my 76 Kombi with Shannons 12 months ago for $15,000. I would keep trying them. Mine costs about $35/month

6. Kombiman85

Kombiman85 Member

Hi All,

I had my 73 single cab Kombi ute insured with Shannons only to have a drunk driver a week after the policy started write her off out the front of my house. At first they thought i was doing an insurance job tho once i told them i had already bought a new front end and waiting for the claim to go through so i could start to repair her they paid out the agreed value which was on the policy. She's back on the road mechanically all good tho bodywork needs a little love which will be done in the coming weeks:). Shannons would only re-insure her for third party until i the body work done as well. So overall Shannons have to be the best insurance company i have dealt with.
    just my 2 cents worth.

Kombiman85

7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

We just ran into problems with an insurance claim on the amarok. They were happy to pay windscreen repair place "O" for an aftermarket glass but not happy to pay windscreen repair place "S" the same price for original glass. Lots of arguments and they came to the party eventually - that was funny enough with GIO as well.

The kombi is with Shannon's - there was no problems getting it insured and I have not had to claim so can't comment and hope never to be in that position ;)

8. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Shannons.....I just insured Oskar for what I paid for it yesterday!!! Recreational drive (3/4 times a month) that means.
    I first mentioned I was a member of the Kombi Club and the members told me to give Shannons a call before I told them any details!! Worked a treat! I didn't even have to suggest what I wanted to insure it for...he just did it after asking me what I paid for it! Pretty happy with the annual fee also...$369 per year! AND Oskar is a 1969 lowlight Bay....being vintage...I thought they would be very reluctant to insure him. Not the case. BUT you need to call...toll free won't cost you. Online is a waste of time. Hope this helps you to give them another go!

I paid the total amount in case the guy I was speaking too changed his mind!!!;)

9. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Shannons.....I just insured Oskar for what I paid for it yesterday!!! Recreational drive (3/4 times a month) that means.
    I first mentioned I was a member of the Kombi Club and the members told me to give Shannons a call before I told them any details!! Worked a treat! I didn't even have to suggest what I wanted to insure it for...he just did it after asking me what I paid for it! Pretty happy with the annual fee also...$369 per year! AND Oskar is a 1969 lowlight Bay....being vintage...I thought they would be very reluctant to insure him. Not the case. BUT you need to call...toll free won't cost you. Online is a waste of time. Hope this helps you to give them another go!

I paid the total amount in case the guy I was speaking too changed his mind!!!;)

10. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Comming home from the Day of the Volkswagen..which was a great day
    One of our members had the misfortune of having his kombi burst into flames..pictures and comments on the face book site...
    I made a note to myself...call insurance make sure i am covered
    I called the RACV...whom i have had a policy with for more than 25 years..and Betsy has been insurred with for the past 12
    No problem fire covered for MARKET value..
    Market the price a similar vehicle would sell for?
    WRONG... 77 vw van worth about $1600.ackording to their book..what would i do with $1600 buy a push bike?
    I can switch my policy to RACV vintage vehicle insurance...but i have to have a primary vehicle and drive the van less than 7000 km year..no go ...Betsy is my only vehicle

Called shannons explained to them..$15000 cover $511 year

David H likes this.
  11. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I have noticed that my valuation has been going up slightly each renewal with Shannons but when I was at an event on Sunday and Shannons had a stand there, I asked to guy if he would have a look and see what I could cover Little Red for. I didn't think of it at Old Bar. I have only ever dealt with them over the phone.

The guy came over with his clipboard, walked around her, asked me if the motor was modified or anything, I told him nope, still 1200 and 6 volt. He said "6 volt? you are a glutton for punishment!", I just said I wanted her to be stock standard and he said that was fine. He asked me what price I had in mind? I said I would rather he give me a price. He then said, well, the concourse ones are about $75K, and I said well I know she is not concourse, and he gave me an amount that almost doubled what I had her insured for now!!! He did it on the spot, wrote it down with a time and that was it. I will now get paperwork with my new amount and I will let you know how much my premium increases, but he said it will not be very much at all.

So at your next event, have a word to Shannons (or whoever you insure with) as you just never know what is around the corner or over that hill.

12. tails

tails Member

I have my 61 Bus insured with Lumley Special Vehicles Insurance. They are very flexible, I have found them to be a pleasure to deal with and they provide all the typical Shannon's type options. I'd certainly recommend that you at least have a chat to them when your Shannon's policy rolls around for renewal. I used to have my Bus insured with Shannon's, so I'm familiar with the Shannon's experience.

13. outlaw flat 4

outlaw flat 4 New Member

Had the same experience as melissa last year with shannons, I had my 54 oval beetle at a show, the guy from shannons walked round with his clip board, made a huuuge list of all the mods on the bug...now I have agreed value of 29k on it, insured elley our 77' bay through shannons as well, gave pics etc...now agreed value of 30k....plus I insure my 2 motorbikes with them..I get a great package deal..no problems here... :)

14. Angelabris

Angelabris Member

After the advice from KC members our Kombi is now insured with Shannons for $26500. Both of our vehicles, our 1972 Lowlight Kombi and a runaround Mazda 323 for under $500 per year. Because our Kombi is over 35 years old we have the salvage rights in the event of a right off. We're very happy. We will be changing our Home and contents insurance over to them too.

15. Kitster

Kitster New Member

Went through Shannons also. The guy asked me why i bought my Kombi (was just about to give him an earful-as it was none of his business!) then the polite English bird in me took over and I replied sounding like the newbie, beach loving lifestyle enthusiast that he wanted to hear. Don't say it's for camping as I get the feeling that they won't insure you if they think you're a traveller bumming around the country on a gap year...
    I'm looking for break down cover (just in case!!) can ANYONE help with any hints??

Good luck team Fennemore!!

I'm also searching for a cover for her as we're near the sea and she's too tall for my garage : (
    Just Kampers is on back order and who knows how long they'll take?!

All the best

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

For breakdown cover you must have NRMA Premium Care - don't take the risk and just have regular cover - if you are ever going to travel more than 100kms away from home it is the best investment ever. Just using it once in 5 years could get your money's worth .

17. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Now whos dull enough to travel more than 100km from home in a 40year old kombi :rolleyes:

18. Purrsia

Purrsia New Member

Insured my '77 Bay for $15,000 agreed value with RACV's Classic car insurance. Must do less than 9,000km per year, recreational purposes only and be kept in a locked garage - $360pa with my 18yr RACV discount. No complaints! Didn't even bother with another quote!

19. Michael

Michael Member

We just had our 77 pop top resprayed and looking a treat, so thought we better up the insurance. Called Shannon's and went through the details. We have a 3 way fridge but no kitchen, so was ok to proceed (if it had a kitchen it would need to be insured by someone else who does full on campers). We found them very helpful.

20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Mad dogs and Englishman (I know your not Pom but but it's close ;) )