Insuring With Shannons

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, May 9, 2010.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

As Kombi owners, we want the best cover we can get that suits our needs as enthusiasts and also daily drivers. Many members have asked the questions "Who should we insure with?" or "How do I get my kombi covered for $X ?"

Now keeping in mind that everyone's circumstances are different with age/location/experience/value etc. etc. some members have had trouble getting cover with some of the bigger name companies, but if you persevere and contact Shannons you might be pleasantly surprised.

Be sure you make it clear that you are an enthusiast, that you belong to the Kombi Club, that you go to meets and you are not driving a piece of rubbish or "hippy van".

So have a look through the many threads on here about insurance - you may find Shannons does not suit you and you can find another insurer that serves you better, but it wont hurt to have this information when you ring around. Also keep in mind that Shannons will do Greenslips if you have your car insured with them.

JaneC likes this.
  2. melissa

DISCLAIMER:

Just wanted to add that there is no connection between Shannons and The Kombi Club (or me). In the early days of the forum Shannons did sponsor but that was a few years ago. This suggestion of using Shannons is made in good faith from personal experience and the experiences of other members. :)

3. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Also you can do what I did, I contacted Shannons and gave them the link to my resto.
    They called me back an hour later after checking the post and I didn't have a problem getting it insured for what I wanted.

Dave

4. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

That's what I did too.

5. GRACIEPOG

GRACIEPOG Member

I used to insure my classic cars with GIO because they had what was called vintage and veteran insurance. They would insure it based on agreed value without having to see photos or anything. GIO is owned by suncorp who I think also own AAMI and shannons now too. So they have discontinued there vintage and veteran insurance, I guess so as not to canibalise business from Shannons.

Shannons are easy to deal with and understand our needs, I'm just wondering if anyone has had an experience with Shannons from the point of view of having to make a claim?

6. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

I made a claim when the Dragon (76 DC) lost a battle with a roo. Shannons were easy to deal with, and so I still insure with them.

JaneC likes this.
  7. goodtimejoe

goodtimejoe New Member

Have you guys tried Lumleys Special Vehicles...1/2 the price of Shannons and same conditions ie: insure it for what you want, keep the wreck etc etc - worth a call

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. Kaz

Kaz New Member

JUst thought I add my 2 bobs worth.... I met with a Shannons Rep at a car show, couldnt have been more easier to deal with.... so impressed with the service I changed all my cars and house insurance over. Unfortunately my ute had a battle with a roo one night on the way to work, phoned Shannons and everything was fixed the only problem Not Happy Jan with the service and bonnet of the ute from the repairers that fixed the ute, and let Shannons know how shonky I thought they were too.

9. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

HI everyone,

Just called Shannons... turns out that Don Hackett has left Shannons only a couple of weeks ago.

I had a quote done by "Brendan" who seemed quite sympathetic to the VW cause! I'm sure they all read off a script or something, but he was helpful etc...

10. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

When I was at the recent VW Nationals I approached the Shannon's rep there to renegotiate the insured value of my Kombi. Kevin Smith looked over the vehicle, took some pictures and rang me back 2 days later. All agreed and done. Kevin's based in Sydney which might be helpful if you're in or near Sydney and would like a rep to look at your vehicle. I have Kevin's business card, pm if you want his contact details.

Just my personal experience, not an advert for Shannon's.

Cheers,...John

11. alienboy

alienboy Member

I called Shannons last week to speak with Don, who has left them
    and is now selling classic cars!! But spoke to Brett instead in
    the Brissy office who was very good, knows vw's, and arranged
    guaranteed agreed values.

I am currently insured with Lumleys (LSV) who are also very good,
    including price - comparable with Shannon's, but biggest advantage
    is you get to keep your wreck - i think more important these days
    if you have those hard to get parts on a wrecked bus/splitty (or early beetle)
    you want to transfer to your new resto - or sell to KC members for theirs!!

From memory agreed value from LSV cost a bit more than that offered by Shannon's - best to check out both for your own rides to see who suits you best; but overall both seem to have us well covered!!

12. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

Just a quick note re getting to keep your wreck... for an extra $17 a year, my "new" policy with Shannons allows me to keep the wreck AND get the full value of the insured amount. Thought that was a pretty good deal actually!

Have to admit, I didn't ring to compare with Lumleys, was happy enough with the quote from Shannons and just wanted to get it done... sometimes I have those days! :eek:

13. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi
    Received my first annual renewal since being with Shannons - coverage the same BUT is $12.00 lower than last year's premium.

Gotta be good?

Cheers

14. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

do shannons cover T3's?..1982:umm:

15. melissa

Absolutely! I even had my T4 insured with them... until I sold it :(

16. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

thanks Mel...:)

17. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Yep
    Got my Split and Tranny insured with them

Dave

18. emby

emby Active Member

I've been insured with GIO for the last two years and, as advised above, GIO no longer do vintage insurance so they have transferred me to Shannons without me having to try and find new insurers (which I thought was pretty decent of them).

One thing I have noticed though is that I did make a claim through GIO in the first year of the policy. When they have transferred the policy they have advised Shannons that I have made no claim in the last 5 years. Is the onus on me to advise them that this is incorrect, or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Another thing I've noticed is that my excess has gone from $100 to $300 !!!

19. melissa

I think the onus is on you to let them know of their mistake :rolleyes: - but if you were not at fault then you might find it stays as "no claims made". Best call them to find out - insurance companies are well known for getting out of paying if they can - (not that I am saying Shannons would do that).

20. emby

emby Active Member

Cheers Melissa. Will give them a call later today