1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insuring With Shannons

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by melissa, May 9, 2010.

1. Otto

Otto Member

Hi Mel, We are still waiting for an assessor to approve $30.000 worth of repairs from the April storms so I might move everything over to Shannons with the Kombi, 2 Porsches, Tiguan, 2 Tractors and my Ute. I might even save some money which I could spend on "Otto". Cheers Wayne

Debstar likes this.
  2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Yes Wayne, I waited until everything was sorted with my previous insurance company, then walked. They asked could they look at my quote to see if they could do a better deal and I told them straight out it was $500 cheaper and we already had the cars with Shannons so she agreed there was no way they could match it.

3. Otto

Otto Member

Hey Mel, No sooner replied to your post than the insurance broker rang to say work would begin tomorrow,go figure. Already have the cars with Shannons so will follow your lead and abandon Westpac asap for house and contents. Regards Wayne

Debstar likes this.
  4. melissa

Just wait until you are completely happy with the job they have done - would hate for you to strike trouble :)

5. old grey

old grey Well-Known Member

So today I activated insurance with Shannon's.
    -1x69 kombi ute comprehensively insured unlimited use, $20k value
    -1x69 Microbus deluxe "laid up insurance" $10k value
    -1xVK V8 1985 commodore "laid up"
    $15k value
    -1x VX V8 Berlina wagon comprehensively insured for $6k

$1516 a year.
    Salvage rights, windscreen x1 per car, choice of repairer, etc.

Pretty bloody good deal I reckon.

Reduced green slip for the ute by $145.

And they were great to deal with on the phone.

melissa and Grantus like this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The SAAB renewal notice arrived today from NRMA. Seems to be an over priced policy, with under valued vehicle, that's never had a claim in it's 10 year life.

I get a large "loyaly discount" with NRMA, but it seems the only loyalty, is that I keep loyally giving them too much money, even after their discounts! :(

Will be offering this one to Shannons, to hopefully add to the SC policy.....;)

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    melissa and old grey like this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Insured Paddy with them, happy with price and what it covers BUT after 4 phone calls to get the details right I gave up - if any dispute arises they can go back through their call logs to check what I told them .... only small things but still they read it back to you and it arrives different in print .... last confirmation letter had rego number removed after previous 2 had it on :rolleyes:o_O:p

8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

It's time to re-register the van, so thought I'd try Shannon's for an online CTP quote to compare the meerkat. Seems like CTP is only available if one holds a comprehensive policy with them, so I'll ring tomorrow to confirm. Anyone hit this brick wall? So I lied and told the system I did have a policy with them and got a quote that was only marginally cheaper than NRMA and a shed load cheaper (like $100+) than the other purveyors of insurance policies. Shannon's will need to come up with a grand offer before I dump my current provider for my cars, bikes, house, etc.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  9. melissa

That is correct - you can only get a greenslip with them if you have comprehensive insurance with them for that vehicle.

10. Grantus

CTP in the ACT is still part of rego cost, although now you do choose from either GIO, NRMA, APIA or AAMI. There'a a $26 difference between the most expensive, and the cheapest.

Most people I know, just tick the cheapest one (currently GIO), as it's a policy you'll never claim on - someone else will if an accident happens.......

11. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the dyslectics in my original post - its now fixed. Vans comprehensive insurance and rego are offset six months (bought bus with 6 months rego remaining and always pay full amounts upfront to save a few bucks) so I'll need to do some more work to calculate difference between the potential penalty for cancelling existing vs savings via Shannon's fee.

12. Grantus

Just made my Shannons policy a "multi car" one, by adding the SAAB spouse daily driver.

Shannons was 2/3 the price of NRMA - even with the 8 policy 25% discount! :mad:

13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just added home and contents to our Shannon's portfolio.
    A lot cheaper plus added benefits over AAMI....
    No additional charge for $10 k " enthusist's" cover.....covers parts,tools etc. over & above contents cover.
    Just keeps getting better !
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. Grantus

That's my next move too....:)

15. melissa

Yes, we have added the house and contents to our Shannons cover too. Saved about $350 per year by leaving Allianz.

Miss Rosie likes this.
  16. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Rang Shannons the other day coz we have several cars with them. Wanted tofind out if I could add the Jayco Finch Bec just bought. Girl says... "no sorry we dont do caravans etc unless they are old ones used as displays etc, but I'll transfer you to our group partner CIL who do Cravan and RV Insurance."
    30 seconds on hold, bloke comes on, "What is the Jayco you've got?... Cool, year, purchase price, right here's the quote... $12.39 a month."
    When I said to go ahead with it he said "this is the worst part for you...having to listen to me read out all the garbage" :D
    Wish I could get my house insuranc through them but it's too old for Shannons (1909). Will see if one of their other group will help me save some costs on that.

Miss Rosie and melissa like this.
  17. Kandeb

Kandeb New Member

18. Kandeb

Kandeb New Member

Hi there, sorry if I'm in the wrong section, just new here. I'm insured with Shannons and recently had my Kombi pranged. Just want to know if anyone out there knows of where I can get a couple of quotes from in the Redcliffe area. Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
    Karen

19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Karen, welcome to thje party that never ends :D, don't know of any "Kombi" repairers in the area and think most members have had to go further out to find anyone ..... only one I knew of was in Northgate but he had to close up shop some years back.

There's a mechanic out Morayfield/Caboolture way who is Barry Mac and he may be able to point you in the right direction, otherwise some other member coujld suggest or you'll just have to call around panel shops ...... hope the damaged isn't too bad :oops:

20. Kandeb

Kandeb New Member

Hi Kahuna, thanks for that, I might give Barry a call. Damage not too bad - "Margy" is pretty tough, she just got a bit of a dent in her rear (and to her pride)!!