Interior Design

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Rev., Dec 27, 2007.

1. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

I am redoing the interior of my 75 camper and decided to use google sketchup to do the design and layout - google sketchup is a free design program - http://sketchup.google.com/

My father-in-law is going to build the cupboards and I wanted to give him a clear idea of what I wanted - he tends to do what he thinks is best.

This is what I came up with using google sketchup. It's built to scale and you can print it out with the dimensions for building. (what my father-in-law needs.) In reality the back of the cupboards need to taper in to accommodate the side of the kombi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sketchup model is a 3D model which I am happy to send to anyone who would like to use it. You can even download 3D kombi's from the 3D warehouse.

Rev.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  2. Wiz

Wiz New Member

Hi,
    Please can you tell me more about how you are doing the sleeping arrangements?

3. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hi Wiz

We have a rock-&-roll bed/seat that sleeps two and a bed in the poptop that also sleeps two - the kids will sleep in the poptop bed. We also have a awning. Here are some pictures - hope they help

Rev.

Rock-&-Roll Bed
    [​IMG]

(Before I recovered it)
    [​IMG]

Pop-Top Bed

[​IMG]

Awning

[​IMG]

4. Wiz

Wiz New Member

Thanks for the pics - mine is gutted at the moment so I am looking for ideas. Mine also had a rock-&-roll bed/seat that sleeps two and a bed in the poptop that also sleeps two, so your cabinetry should also suit mine.

5. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

It should - my father-in-law is cutting out the cupboards and hopefully it should be in my kombi by the end of January. I'll post pictures and costs when it's all done.

BTW - Roy at the BusStop was planning to sell flat-pack interiorts from the middle of January so he might be worth contacting.

Rev.

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So what materials and finishes are you using for the cabinetry, Rev?

7. ajs18s

ajs18s New Member

Love the Awning,were did you get it from and how much?

8. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

The awning came with the kombi. There is a metal track on the side of the kombi which the awning slides into and it is held up by two poles - it works really well, if you want some pictures let me know.

Rev.

9. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Good question - my father-in-law has taken over the whole project - I think it will be white melamine (the material used to make kitchens). I did the design so he would know what I wanted - but the last time I spoke to him he had a few 'different' ideas. It's stressing me out! :confused:

I'll find out where it's all up to next week.

Rev.

10. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Good luck with the intereior Rev. I know exactly what is going on, I have the same predicament.

11. Grantus

If he insists on a melamine board, ensure it's not a particleboard substrate - rather use a LFE MR MDF (Low Formaldehyde Emission, Moisture Resistant, Medium Density Fibreboard).

Not as scary as it sounds - "Craftwood", or equivalent kitchen grade! (And for that quantity, a colour won't cost much more than white, and look heaps better!)

12. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

The only thing that I have done differently to how the buses normally come from a conversion is to make the cupboard door near the bed a upward sliding door. This means that we can get at the cupboard when the bed is made up. When we are traveling we normally leave the bed made up as there is just the two of us these days.

13. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Spoke to the old man today. He rang to check some measurements which was good because he usually just guesses. Anyway, he is waiting till I get down there before he dose anymore. Something I am very happy about.

He is getting very excited about doing the cupboards that he is thinking of making them for others if anyone is interested. It's given him something to do.

I'll be posting pictures and prices as soon I can - have no idea what it is costing me - I think the father-in-law is enjoying spending my money as well.

Rev.

14. Grantus

Remind him that weight (of the cabinets), should also be a consideration, for end performance & fuel economy.

Keep us posted.

15. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Well it’s done.

Not exactly what I wanted but a huge improvement from what was there. It’s at least functional and most importantly the Mrs Rev. is happy.

Material cost me $350 and the father-in-law did the rest. New carpet was free as were a few fixtures like handles and hinges.

Here are a few pictures

Before

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Rev.

16. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

A few more pictures

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rev.

17. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

you must be over the moon ,simply stunning work great job !! did it cost you many beers as well . !

18. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Yes I am happy with how it tuned out - the father-in-law doesn't drink so it didn't cost me any beers :)

Making up for it now!

Rev.

19. felixqld66

felixqld66 Member

Hey Rev

Looks bloody fantastic great to see that you are ticking all the boxes in pretty quick succession.

The Kombi just keeps getting better and better!

Cheers Alex

20. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Looks very good indeed. Makes it look clean and quite livable.