1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interior levers

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Jason Smith, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

i knowbthis night sound stupid and I apologise for asking. The 2 x levers on the left of gauges. What are these for? Should they both be pulled down?

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Blue levers or red? what year model?
    72 has 4 levers 2 red and 2 blue . Up is off and down is full on.
    Blue opens up the flaps behind the grill in the front panel of the car.
    Red levers for 72 opens the heater boxes to let warm air into the cabin either at the dash top near windscreen or near your feet in the center tower under the dash near the floor.
    Is this what you mean 423.jpg

David H likes this.
  3. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

It’s a 75 mate it has 2x red and 1x blue lever. My heater has been disconnected so I should have these pushed up all the time?

4. Wayne murray

5. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks mate appreciate it.

6. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

This might make me sound even more or a dork but if I haven’t the heater connected and it’s missing the pipe from the rear to the fro t. Should I have the heater in open so it can release heat front the engine. Will this make the engine run a little cooler? If so is down open for the heater levers?

7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Jason,
    If the levers are not connected to the rear opening flaps it won't matter where the lever is:p
    The "pipe missing" only changes whether heat gets to the front;) if the lever is in the right position:).
    Now to answer what I think you're asking:confused:. The heater system just 'bleeds warm air off the heater boxes & transfers that to the front'. The engine does not care if you take some heat away from it as it gets rid of heat another way if not going to the front. No damage done with flaps closed & heater off.
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  8. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

I agree it sounded heaps better in my head and makes no sense after I typed it. Just trying to find little possible ways to run the engine cooler as we are off on a road trip next week and want to look after he old girl as much as possible

9. David H

We all want a cooler running engine for it is heat that hurts them? Any symptoms of heat?
    Cheers

10. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Nothing at all mate. Just had a tune and got carbies rebuilt so runs really good. Took her for a good hard drive and on my laser temp gun afterwards we were at 108degrees which I think was good. Had a few good hills and highway driving involved

David H and Poptop like this.
  11. Wayne murray

If you have a mechanically sound engine,which sound like you have and you drive to suit the conditions ,you shouldn't have any problems.

12. David H

V Good temp after a hard run;) now go & enjoy:D with confidence.
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  13. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Will do mate thanks for helping out.

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html

Worth ensuring that lower fan vents into heat exchangers are operational and flaps in place.
    This allows air to cool heater boxes thus lessening heat radiated from heater boxes to heads regardless if status of heating system further foward.

Ensure seals around boost fan tubes and tubes blanked off if fan and cardboard tubes not in place.

ATTN to detail with gaps in tinware.

Seals in place around oil fill tube and alternator.

Carbs are set slightly rich to gain a small cooling effect for heads.

Heat shield if running stock exhaust worthwhile.

An improvement is ceramic coating on heater boxes and exhaust manifold pipes.
    Same could be applied to the engine tinware sections nearest muffler.

Desired oil temp is 90-100C @ steady 100kmhr on ambient temp below 30C.
    Above 36C cooling can be compromised.
    Normal for some variability between engines.

Personally would drive slower if temps getting to 110c at steady 100 km/hr.

Some smaller details...
    Maintain high tyre pressures.
    Open windows disturb airflow into rear vents
    Qn the effect of large dual batteries in engine bay on air flow. ?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  15. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Thanks mate. Appreciate the information action.

16. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

I had a full tune so I am hoping the mechanic who is a VW mechanic would of looked/checked the fan vents and flaps are alright as he knew I was going in a road trip. In regards to tinware this is all done and correct. I did have to block off heater ducts though.(was told to do this by someone on this forum). Carbs have just been rebuilt also.

Is it easy to check to make sure fan vents and flaps are all good?

17. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The heater ducts he is referring to are the round on the left and the oval on the right holes that come through the tinware on each side of the engine. They are normally connected to the booster fan above the engine. The other vents are at the bottom of the fan housing and connect directly to the heater boxes. you need those to give airflow through the heater boxes which should then exit through the control valves for the heating air at the other end of the heater box.

[​IMG]

As far as your levers are concerned, the right red one is the heat (no heater no problem), the left red one is screen or feet vent (down is screen up is foot) and the blue is fresh air through the front grill,(up is off)

Adrian