Internal lights

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Gonzo, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

The internal lights on my 1976 T2 Kombi just stopped working. I have checked the fuses and the trouble is not there. Can anyone suggest where these lights source their power from?
    Gonzo

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Have you checked the globe and the earth which is behind the light.Be careful to get the light as they do become brittle and break easy.As the globe heats up the plastic light and causes them to crack and it's not until you try and get them out it will break. The power comes from the fuse box.up the pillar to the light. Is it the front not working or the rear?

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I think the power for the interior light comes off fuse number 8 (an 8a fuse).
    this is the same fuse that supplies the permanent power to the hazard switch.
    The power goes directly to the globe, the earth side being switched in by the door switches when you open the door, or the switch at the light

David H likes this.
  4. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

5. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

I have checked the fuse and it is OK. The hazard light works well also. I changed the festoon bulbs over to LED festoons and it was some time, about a month or two, after this that I noticed ALL the internal lights were not working. It may be a broken wire somewhere in the circuit after the fuse box?

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

do you have a multi meter and can use one

You are just fumbling in the dark if you dont

7. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

Yes Barry I do, and have a fair idea of how to use one I think.
    Gonzo

8. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Check that there is 12v available at the light
    the light has power to it all the time and only comes on when the other end is earthed
    If no power at the light, trace back to the fuse box for a broken wire.
    If you have power to the lights pull the globe, set your meter to ohms, stick one lead on the earth side of the globe holder contact and the other lead to body (no paint). Get someone to open and close the doors, should read close to zero with door open and infinity when closed.
    If you have all led lights be aware you need a good zero reading (doors open) or they won't come on.
    I'm guessing you are aware led globes will only work one way in the holder (polarity sensitive)
    Rick

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Some led's are polar specific...ie they must be a certain way 'round in order to operate.
    Try removing the led, turning it 180 deg. & see if it works.
    I had to do this when I replaced the dash lights with led's....it's a pita 'cause they are in series.....if the first one is not correct none of the others will work.
    ( A lot like the old Christmas tree lights.....)
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

How did you go with this gonzo? Did you find the problem?