1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing "Pearl" - our Splitty

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Sheriff, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Hi Guys,

Long story short...we have owned our Splitty for just over a year now which promted me to pull my finger out celebrate the 1st birthday of ownership. Sim wanted to keep it pretty low key but what the hell! I've owned a splitty for a year and I'm coming out!!!

"My name is Richard and I'm a Kombiholic"

With the help and inspection of Tom in Adelaide we bought her there. I had a kombi load of work done in Adelaide by a very helpful VW mechanic at Christies Beach - front to back...it's all mechanically magic. I flew over, picked up Pearl and headed home. In the driving rain we zoomed from Adelaide to Melbourne without skipping a beat - Pearl was unleashed after many still years in a garage!

It is one of the straightest original Splitty I had seen which was thankfully confirmed by Tom (TTMK). The only downside is that is has windows "cut in" but that can be repaired in time. Aside from that, 'everything' is intact, original and working like a charm!

I was inspired today because I am on the home straight of roadworthy. I am taking Pearl to Bus 'n Bug in melbourne for re-upholstering of the bench seat, replacement of matching cards and visors, a bumper resto front and back, the install of a little bit of missing bling and a paint rejuvination (of the original paint)...we'll just see how she looks after that. No rush to paint as rust is not an issue! Woo Hoo!

Subject to remaining casharooney...new shoes would be very nice and then she's registered an on the road!!!

Rich

here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Yummo... Sheriff she is a beauty...you wanna keep her ...:)
    If not, I can suggest a nice home in Byron Bay that would love her....:lol: ....& she would have a handsome man to keep her company in the garage...:lol: ...hehehe

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed Rich.:)

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Wow, very nice ... :) I look forward to seeing it one day! Have fun, and congratulations on the anniversary. :)

5. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

That's great Rich - I'm really happy for you and your lovely wife.

You DO realise that you'll have to buy another 2 now, don't you? One for you and Sim, and one for each of the kids. :)

6. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Regardless of the inability to pay for them Kyra...just finding them seems hard enough at the moment!
    Spooky...we have very similar quotes athe bottom of our signatures LOL

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Hah - great minds think alike! :D

8. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

:lol: That's the longest secret I have ever had to keep, has it really been a year, where did that time go? Glad you have finaly come out and we can all see some pics posted of your beautiful Pearl...do you ever get to drive her Rich or does Simmy hide the keys from you ;)

She's a real beaut can I meet her when I come down in a couple of weeks?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  9. Hippy-71

Hippy-71 New Member

Very nice, I bet you cant stop grin'n hey !.......love panel splitty's apart from S/C's they rate No. 1 for me :D

Look forward to seeing it once you fill in the windows ;)

10. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

wow, that is very nice. congrats

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  11. Baldwithabeard

Baldwithabeard Active Member

very straight Rich...well done...BEAUTIFUL BUS.

12. old bugger

old bugger Member

glad you brought her out, a beauty. pete

13. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Hey Rich...that was a nicely guarded secret.Congrats she looks very special.:)

14. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

It was really more that time just slipped away and the more it did...the less urgent it became because it wasnt new...new(s)!

The renewed activity of getting close to registered and driving around got me all gee'd up again and I thought you crazy kombi loving folk would still like to know about any new kombi in the clan!

Can I say...not being biased or anything...the stock motor has the nicest note i've ever heard in a kombi...dont know why...but it sounds fantastic - like it wants to fly out of the garage!