1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing Pompi - my first Kombi

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Gordon D, May 1, 2017.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Hi All, I have finally taken the plunge and am now a brand-spanking-new Kombi Owner. Here are a few shots of our new pride and joy - a '73 Westy that will slowly be given our personal touch. I have already started poring over the threads looking for clues on where to go to next. But, for the next few weeks at least, it is just stabilising a few rust spots to prevent further expansion and allow us to start adventuring and planning her improvements. 2017-04-30 12.34.26_small.jpg 2017-04-30 12.33.50_small.jpg 2017-04-30 12.34.10_small.jpg 2017-04-23 11.56.12_small.jpg 2017-04-23 11.59.32 HDR_small.jpg 2017-04-30 12.47.19_small.jpg 2017-04-30 12.57.47_small.jpg

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Gordon! :)

Nice addition.

Enjoy the ride..........;)

Gordon D likes this.
  3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Judging by your avatar - you are a very proud and happy camper in your "new " Westy.

You might be able to get the rear Westy roof rack section from theSamba.com but I'm sure it will cost a fair bit to get here. But that would complete your bus.

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Sweet!

Do you have any history on your bus?

6. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

Congrats mate, plenty of fun ahead

Gordon D likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Anyone know how many right hand Westfalias would be in Australia?

Were they ever sold here?

8. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! You are going to have a lot of fun with your bus.

Gordon D likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome and great to see you've a "new" set of camper wheels :D

Gordon D likes this.
  10. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks Scott - the avatar was actually from my first Kombi drive last year in a mate of mine's '71 Lowlight bus ... but the grin was just as huge as I drove her home on the weekend :)
    Also thanks for spotting the roof rack section ... we are currently undecided whether to go full length Westfalia or go with a wood slat and steel classic rack.

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Hey Barry - not a lot of history unfortunately. The chap I bought it off got it about 9 years ago and then started some major works about 5 years ago. It has been a near daily driver for that time and he had done some good base changes which I now want to learn from and extend upon :)

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Gordon D,
    Congratulations on your bus & may it give many years of joy. Looks like a nice ride.:). Westfalias a bit rare.
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  13. David H

Hi Gordon,
    I've asked a few on here about reference to gender of their buses. I've had 2 girl buses & 1 boy bus (all 76 Sopru campers). Is there anything that you can say to inform on this? I'm interested.:rolleyes:
    Cheers

14. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Well, when I bought Pompi, the gender was male (named Neshi from previous owner) but once I introduced my girls and wife to her, there was a little gender realignment :)
    Now, I am not suggesting that there is any gender bias in my household (not at all) but I do think of Pompi as a "she" ... just seems to fit.

David H likes this.
  15. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Nothing like that feeling when you find your Kombi, you're just in time to join the Nimbin MardiGrass Kombi Konvoy this Saturday ;)

Gordon D and Grantus like this.
  16. David H

Hi Gordon,
    Thanks for the response & input.
    Small gender bias in mine. All girls.....4 of them out do anything I could say!;)
    I'm starting to think I need to set up a survey & find out what the overall KC community regard their rides as?
    Now that would be interesting:rolleyes:!
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  17. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

I am very, very tempted Lorraine but don't think I can make it this weekend as I am booked in to do some bodywork to remove some nasty rusty bits :(
    However, this is very high on my list for events in 2018 ... I am sure it will be on won't it?
    {Cause there seems to be quite a few KC members eagerly attending ... even noted one of the Instagrammer collective already at Byron ready to head there on the weekend}

18. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

I can't see it ever not being part of MardiGrass so Yes. There are a few already at Byron. I never know how many until about 2pm on the Saturday but I'm getting a feeling it is going to be a record this year.

Grantus likes this.
  19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Personal imports only. Never sold here! And some, like mine, are left hookers.

David H and Grantus like this.
  20. David H

Lefties love animals!:D I'm married to a leftie & she loves me so I know:rolleyes:;):D.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 5, 2017