1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing Pompi - my first Kombi

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Gordon D, May 1, 2017.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks for the recommendation @David H and @Wayne murray ... I will order two and make sure they're both good to go :)

David H likes this.
  2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Spare Clevis Pin for securing cable up front as they have been known to break :eek: ....... cheap insurance ;)
    We like spending your money for you Gordon :D ..... :confused:

David H likes this.
  3. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thought I was doing a good enough job of that myself ... but I suspect I needed assistance ;)

David H likes this.
  4. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Active Member

And don't forget a spare wing nut for the clutch cable as when they break you loose them down the road

Gordon D likes this.
  5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Your engine might have come from here
    http://theengineshop.info/acatalog/Bay-Window-2000cc-029100031AXV.html#SID=11

6. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

7. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Woo-hoo, we have movement at the station and the engine is now underway (*finally* I hear you cry)
    First step was cleaning a few flange faces of crusty old gaskets. This one on the oil filter mount took an absolute age! (Before and After followed by Fitted)
    2018-08-11 22.08.36_small.jpg 2018-08-12 15.07.34_small.jpg

Next was the underside with the sump plug cleaned and torqued into place as well as the the oil strainer. Note that I have fitted the two oil strainer gaskets either side of the strainer - any issue with that?
    The Haynes seemed to indicate this was correct but what I removed had both gaskets together and between the block and the strainer ... nothing between strainer and the cover? (Oh, and I paid close attention to the 9ft/lb torque)
    2018-08-12 16.05.54_small.jpg 2018-08-12 16.28.10_small.jpg
    Then came the refitting of the removed studs with Loctite, cleaning the cylinder housings, prepping one bank of the new piston/cylinder combo (they were actually quite mucky) and then fitting to the block.
    2018-08-12 16.42.10_small.jpg 2018-08-12 19.12.17_small.jpg
    2018-08-12 18.12.33_small.jpg 2018-08-12 20.14.05_small.jpg

So, having gotten this far yesterday, this morning I have decided to step back slightly.
    1) I can't get to the circlips on the "inner" sides of the two pistons as the 'changeable' circlip pliers are actually too bulky to fit between the studs so I will have to get a dedicated pair of circlip pliers
    2) I was thinking carefully about the work that I need to do on the main seal, flywheel and fan seal ... and I think I would rather do all of that without the cylinder&pistons on so I don't damage them
    3) It will be lighter to lift on and off the engine stand without the cylinder&pistons on ... and there are more handholds available

With Ekka Show Holiday on Wednesday, I may get an extra day to play and progress :)

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Great to follow your thread Gordon D & nice to see the clean progress:).
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

Gordon, re gaskets on the oil strainer you've done it right with one each side - this is also the way the 1600 engines (including Type3) have to have them fitted ;)

Gordon D likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

Reason one each side is becasue the stainer base (as no doubt you have found) is very flexible/flimsy and bends easy so you have to ensure you get the edge as flat as possible and then the 2 seals ensure leaks prevented/minimised.

[​IMG]

11. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Yay for EKKA Show Day holiday - a gift day to keep cracking on ... and everything went to plan with only two little surprises
    1) I have managed to lose my pack of shims so have been forced to reuse the ones that were already on the main drive ... but they were in good condition and the end play is pretty good
    2) Went to replace the fan mount O-ring ... and discovered there wasn't one to replace :confused: - seriously, my predecessors are getting a real reputation smacking in my head :p

Business end of the block all cleaned, freshly sealed and shimmed and ready to go (Before and After)
    2018-08-15 11.47.15_small.jpg 2018-08-15 12.49.57_small.jpg
    Flywheel all prettified and then clamped in place with my new shiny flywheel locker (I love that tool)
    2018-08-15 13.47.53_small.jpg 2018-08-15 14.11.12_small.jpg

Notice anything missing from the rear (?) crank seal ... oh yeah, the O-ring :eek: - all fixed now
    2018-08-15 14.38.59_small.jpg

... and finally the fan end and business ends all tarted and torqued up ready to get onto the next step. One thing learned is that once I put that flywheel on, the weight really went up so the rest of the build will be completed at roller height :D
    2018-08-15 15.56.45_small.jpg 2018-08-15 16.01.26_small.jpg

12. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

New milestone reached ... the cylinders are done (though not without a little bit of drama) ... and just for fun, I popped the heads out of their boxes and onto the motor - cause I wanted to see what it was going to look like ;)
    Today, the only tool that got used was the circlip pliers ... and boy did they get used. Story goes like this
    1) Fit cylinders 1 & 2 that you prepped on Wednesday
    2) Start prepping Cyl 4 and notice that the rings now clearly have TOP stamped on them
    3) Ponder for 15 minutes whether you actually did put the rings for 1 & 2 in the right way up
    4) Decide to disconnect and deconstruct 1 & 2 to discover that you had indeed put one (and only one mind you) ring in upside down
    5) Reconnect 1 & 2
    6) Start connecting 4, circlip the wrist pin up and realise that while you were distracted telling your Dad what it going on you've forgotten to put the cylinder gasket on
    7) Disconnect cyl 4, find cylinder gasket, locate the cylinder gasket, reconnect everything
    8) Put on Cyl 3 and have it go together so damned easily you ponder for 5 minutes what you may have done wrong ... and decide everything is OK :)
    2018-08-18 15.44.41_small.jpg

Then, knowing full well you aren't going to get any further really cause it is already 4pm and you need to get home, pull out the heads, pay attention to the friendly yellow note and pop the heads on with just two nuts on each head to see what it is going to look like real soon :)
    2018-08-18 16.15.53_small.jpg 2018-08-18 16.18.07_small.jpg

Ta da
    2018-08-18 16.32.40_small.jpg

13. KahunaKombi

Nice work Gordon ;)

Gordon D likes this.
  14. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Another day down and one step closer - heads on, studded and torqued down. Unfortunately, while I should have read ahead on the cheat sheets, I didn't have the lower thermal shields with me where Pompi is (at home on the t'other side of town) so I had to stop at that point. No shields = no tubes = no rockers = Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 :eek::oops:
    But the "extra" short block is looking good ... cause I could at least put the oil cooler on ... and sits nicely next to her other half.
    2018-08-19 15.28.34_small.jpg 2018-08-19 18.15.21_small.jpg

So, I moved on to the carbies ... and found another surprise. Left hand carbie has a minor 'modification' on a part that looks like it exploded in place :eek:
    Suggestion is that it is the idler cut off solenoid. Presuming that is the case, anyone object to me leaving it as is (blocked off with a bolt) but putting a slightly better blocker in there?
    2018-08-19 15.28.26_small.jpg 2018-08-19 15.28.13_small.jpg 2018-08-19 15.27.50_small.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Don't ya hate those little shields :)
    I have done same.
    Important so must be fitted.

The bolt will work.
    Ensure it seals.
    If engine develops a habit of running on after switch off you may have to address it.

16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Type 1 you have to take the heads back off
    Type 4 at least you dont have too I believe.

I have flattened the clips once - slid the tin in and but a skinny 4" bolt through

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Type 4 is rocker gear and push rod tubes if you got that far. ;)
    Heads stay in place for tube removal.

Gordon D likes this.
  18. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

I do now @cbus ... hit a little snag - new cylinders = new cylinder outside profile = smallest but most critically important and single point of progress stalling piece of tinware no longer fits :eek:o_O:mad:
    2018-08-25 13.14.56_small.jpg
    So, oh wise and experienced engine heads ... do I reshape the current tin or can you get new individual pieces of tin?

19. KahunaKombi

Gordon, think the tinware question is you have to reshape :(

20. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

That doesn’t bother me ... just need to know before I start cutting :)