1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing Pompi - my first Kombi

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Gordon D, May 1, 2017.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Thanks for the advice @KahunaKombi - all went well. Now just to do a bit of tidy and touchup on the bare metal and we're good as done :D
    2018-08-26 11.40.34_small.jpg 2018-08-26 12.30.19_small.jpg 2018-08-26 12.30.45_small.jpg

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a bugger when they change the profile on the fins :mad: ..... no consideration to tinware needing to be there.

3. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

It would be good to have the option of buying the extra tinware when you order the kit ... what could it be - $20/$30 max?
    Ahh well, it's all good now :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  4. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Well, despite it only being a short day today and a limited access weekend because of Father's Day tomorrow, I am quite happy with progress and feel I have hit a significant milestone ... WE HAVE ROCKERS!!
    But first ... in this shot of the newly inserted studs for the gearbox nose mount, you may have noticed that the studs were sticking out a little too much on the gearbox posts - because the studs were too long.
    gearbox close-up.jpg
    Originally, Gorilla Mechanic (the new name for whoever it was that worked on Pompi previously and just used whatever was to hand) had just used a couple of bolts that fitted (mostly) so they had to come out. I was told they needed to be trimmed but I think there was a bit of a measurement cross-up ... I was told the length difference in millimeters but the provider of information meant centimeters. So first task today was to address that ... while being as neatly beveled as the proper end I was quite impressed with my work ... and it meant I got to use yet another tool. Angle grinder for the win :D
    2018-09-01 14.02.12_small.jpg 2018-09-01 14.03.20_small.jpg 2018-09-01 14.26.31_small.jpg

Next, on with the lower tinware/deflectors and in with the pushrod tubes and pushrods. Had to use a socket and gentle tap with a soft hammer to get those tubes in but all went smoothly
    2018-09-01 16.22.38_small.jpg 2018-09-01 16.22.45_small.jpg

... and then [drumroll please] on with the rockers!!
    2018-09-01 16.46.06_small.jpg
    They still need to be torqued and set but given that I was aiming for a 5pm finish and I tightened the last nut, rolled the engine onto its belly and then rotated the crank a few times to confirm the rods were pushing and the rockers were rocking and the valves were opening I was very relieved and more than a little excited :D
    2018-09-01 16.52.18_small.jpg
    Next weekend it is the heat exchangers and additionals as well as the torquing of the rockers and then gapping. I have just had a nice glass of red in celebration - end of September is looking pretty good :p

KahunaKombi, Barry and David H like this.
  5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Your rocking on Gordon:cool: keep them moves coming;).Party on at Gordon's . Nice work

KahunaKombi and Gordon D like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

You've earned the red;) & I'm sure you're enjoying your progress:D. Keep up the posts.
    Cheers

Gordon D likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

Well put Wayne :D

Wayne murray and Gordon D like this.
  8. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Well, a rare mid-week posting ... last night, for the first time in 4 months, the tinware was reunited with the motor. With a fair wind and smooth seas, there will be a significant difference to how the motor looks by the end of this weekend as I reassemble this jigsaw puzzle :D
    painted_parts.jpg
    Just don't look too closely at the quality of the painting ... this was more about neutralising rust and cleaning the tin :p

9. KahunaKombi

Looks clean and super shiney to me @Gordon D :):cool:;):D

Gordon D likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

That's why we paint it Black:p . It looks good all the same.:)

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As long as its a thin coat on heater boxes.
    Burns of with lots of smoke otherwise ;)

12. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

One coat only ... and lightly sprayed

cbus likes this.
  13. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

A little bit of progress today ... slightly hamstrung because I forgot to order the replacement Alternator Cooling Elbow back when I made up my original list and forgot to confirm it :oops:
    However, despite that, the engine has wings with shiny new screws as well as fresh new feet (replacement engine mounts) and new dipstick boot :D:D
    2018-09-15 16.58.41_small.jpg 2018-09-15 16.58.25_small.jpg
    2018-09-15 14.58.15_small.jpg 2018-09-15 14.58.38 HDR_small.jpg
    2018-09-15 14.57.54_small.jpg

One thing that I remembered (just in time) was that I had bought pushrod tube retaining springs as they were missing on the old head. Like most things, opinion is divided on their necessity but I preferred to err on the side of caution - but it was a little frustrating. They are fiddly beasts and it took me a while to work out how they were meant to actually fit and be tensioned ... and as usual, once I worked out one head, the other was simplicity itself.

In the interests of helping others and if you forgot which way the gap in the rocker stud mounts faces, here's the answer - the gaps face the pushrods and the wires are slotted into the slots - genius :)
    2018-09-15 12.31.28 HDR_small.jpg 2018-09-15 12.30.37_small.jpg 2018-09-15 12.31.50 HDR_small.jpg

The rest of today's time was trying to piece together the tinware jigsaw ... I should've taken better notes on the disassembly :confused::eek::(
    Off to research now and see how far I can get before I have a hard stop because of the alternator cooling elbow :p:cool:

David H, KahunaKombi and Wayne murray like this.
  14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That’s looking realy good. Won’t be long now :)

Gordon D likes this.
  15. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Oh I had to laugh today ... yesterday afternoon at the point where I was just about to stop I spent the better part of 45 minutes trying to fit two pieces of the tinware on the engine and started tearing out what little remains of my hair. Last night a little light went on “Oh, you mean the FRONT of the engine ... which is the other end of the bit I’m looking at!”. This morning, two minutes and two bits of tin are where they’re meant to be :confused::rolleyes::D
    Damned rear engine motors going and confusing me :p
    Today was only a couple of hours and the primary task was popping on the front of the cooler housing (and getting that damned dipstick tube to go into the damned rubber boot through the damned tight hole) and then trial fitting the alternator to see what bits I am missing.
    2018-09-16 12.17.12_small.jpg
    Hopefully I can get my alternator cooling tube this week and then we're cracking on next weekend :D

David H, Wayne murray and KahunaKombi like this.
  16. KahunaKombi

Gordon, Homer moments allowed Doh!!!!!!!!!!! :confused::eek::rolleyes:;)

Wayne murray and Gordon D like this.