1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Ang, Nov 19, 2008.

1. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Oh yeah! Der!
    Thats why Iam a tyre fitter and not a fire fighter!

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Fuel injected cars have a safety circuit on the electrical feed to the electric fuel pump. My syncro has a feed from the ECU that stops the pump if the engine is not running. Some VWs have a fuel pump relay that stops if it does not get a signal from the distributor within a few seconds. Some cars work from the D+ of the alternator so that if the alternator stops, so does the fuel pump. Some people connect a relay to the oil pressure switch, so that when the light comes on the pump stops.

This safety system is mainly designed for collisions where the engine stops and the pump keeps running as the driver may not be able to turn the key.

3. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

So, if my pump has a relay to the oil pressure switch (don't know if it does) and the oil pressure switch is on its way out (a possibility discovered in another thread), there's a possibility that the occasional fuel smell and flooding that I sometimes get may be related to intermittent malfunctioning of the oil pressure switch... :umm:

Starting to make sense now. :cool:

Baz

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

5. davidp.

davidp. Member

Hi Baz,
    I've suffered same fuel smell..according to my mechanic...yes you can flood the engine, which explains fuel smell.
    Cheers,
    David
    :)

6. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Ok then, it's not making sense! :lol:

Baz

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Baz, you will have to find out where the leak is. I suppose it is a "Facet" fuel pump? They are a low pressure pump and should not cause leaks. The carburetters should not flood if the needle and seat and float are OK and set correctly.

8. Joel

Joel New Member

i use a Bosch EFI relay on mine now it works off the coil/tacho signal
    it came from a VK commodore but u can find them on most 80s and 90s EFI cars

but originally i just had it running off the alternator output
    as long as the alternator is spinning the pump will run
    only prob with this was the pump didnt run when the starter was cranking which was a problem if the car hadnt been started for a few weeks but that was easily fixed with a prime switch on the dash

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Good tip! No, it's a great tip!:D
    Just make sure that it is not a normal relay like a T3 or Golf 2/3.

You could have used a second relay (as VW do) that gets a feed from your starter motor on your old set up.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  10. Joel

Joel New Member

sorry to hijack ur thread Ang

this was how i had mine wired up when it was running off the alternator

[​IMG]

worked fine except when ur cranking the engine over the alt doesnt spin fast enough to run the pump which means it wont start if the carby bowl is dry from sitting for a few weeks. thats were the push button primer comes in

but the EFI relay i had had a 50 terminal that connects to the starter motor to over come this

11. Ang

Ang New Member

No worries on the hijack I have read stuff I normally would just glance over. Just out of interest where does everybody fit their fire extinguishers? I have just sat mine in the box behind the drivers seat' but I dont think that is a safe idea, but I also wont easy access if there ever is a fire:eek:
    I grew up in Kombi's and have been in 5 fires 4 engine and 1 interior where the light in the middle section just caught on fire so have a little paranoia.

A big thank you to every body for your knowledge am slowly learning about my girl with the help of all you guys:D

12. Carter

Carter Member

my fire extinguisher is in the dash - glovebox, along with assorted screwdrivers, sockets and i'm pretty sure there is a wrench in there as well :)