1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it the alternator???.

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by auschook, Dec 13, 2014.

1. auschook

auschook Member

I have just had Frooty in panel beaters for 3 weeks getting rust taken out but when I picked her up and tried to start her she was dead as a dodo, not a sound. The battery light and oil light come on and lights still worked. We clutch started her and drove her home she run awesomely as usual but if I switched key off it would not start again. A friend had a look and said battery was good and it might be alternator or starter motor? Does the motor have to come out to replace alternator? How much am I looking at for a new one? I am going to change her name from Frootloop to Money Pit ... Lol. Looks like she will be going for a ride on the back of the RACQ truck again. Any advice much appreciated.
    Cheers Jools

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Might be just a loose wire on starter motor, if battery is fully charged it's not your alternator.
    good news is motor doesn't need to come out to replace alternator or starter motor

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sticky solenoid on the starter motor perhaps?

If the battery light was not on whilst you drove it, I wouldn't suspect the alternator.

Assuming all the wires are in place, you can give the starter a "gentle but firm" tap, whilst you turn the key. If it fires up, the starter motor and / or solenoid, need overhauling.

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

turn the lights on and try to start it

Do the lights go out

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

sorry - just re-read your post

your lights worked.

I would be checking the wire that goes to the solenoid on starter first.
    I am guessing it is loose

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Battery is probably too flat to start it after sitting for 3 weeks. Get a battery charger and charge it up over a few days then try again.

What area was the panel beater working in?

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

No engine out for an alt. replacement….( assuming it's a 2ltr) allow plenty of time to remove, take it to the auto. elec., replace….It's a bugger of a job that takes a lot of patience but easily do-able

8. auschook

auschook Member

Hey guys I forgot to say I am a 60 old boiler and have no idea where the solenoid or starter motor are ... Sorry! Lol

9. Grantus

All good - you just sit in the drivers seat to turn the key, whilst someone else checks the wiring and possibly taps the starter motor into life.......:rolleyes:

10. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

As synchro says charge the battery and if that doesn't work go from there.

11. Hayley&nathan

Hayley&nathan New Member

not an alternator issue or else you wouldn't have made it home. Also not a battery issue as you would hear it trying to slowly crank, and your lights would hardly work. Possibly someone caught a wire when they were cutting the rust out? Or possible starter motor. Racq should be able to figure out which it is.

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not always

13. auschook

auschook Member

RACQ came and had a look yesterday but he also had no idea where the starter motor was lol. Am just waiting for the truck to come now and tow her up to Rocky. Thanx everyone for your help, I will let you know what the prob is when I find out.

14. Grantus

Well that was really helpful......o_O

Did he even realise the motor was in the back? :rolleyes:

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Did he know which end was the back?

16. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the nrma guy who couldnt diagnose closed up points that I fixed in 10 mins, just after easter. The starter motor is on the drivers side of the gear box at the engine end up high. There are a bunch of wires going to it. If he lay on the ground in front of the drivers side rear wheel and looked up he should be looking straight at it. The vast majority of cars have a starter that engages on the flywheel which is on the end of the crankshaft. If he cant find I dont think i would want him working on any car that I own.

Adrian

17. auschook

auschook Member

I don't think he's ever seen a kombi before .... Only about 2-3 in the small town I live in.

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

2-3 should have resulted in enough breakdowns for him to familarise ?
    maybe hes just a real slow learner
    or none of the kombis are on road :)

19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

NRMA
    No Real Mechanic About

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

No Real Mechanic Available