Is there anyone out there?

Discussion in 'South Australia' started by Gromit, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Gromit

Gromit Member

Hello Peoples,

So I've had a look through to see whats on here is Adelaide and not found much going. We moved here a year ago now and we are in the middle of converting our T3 trakka we bought last year. We have been busy ripping out the interior and we are finally hoping to get a bed sorted today, but I haven't noticed that many vans about, where do you all hide? Do you meet up somewhere and I can't find you or do you not do that here? We used to go away weekends at home regularly travelling lots to meet up with VW peoples but I don't know if that happens here or not.

Well if you are out there people of SA I'd like to meet you. :D

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  3. SlownLow

SlownLow Member

Hey Mash,
    I have been thinking the same thing since coming here this year

Starting to find vw's in the strangest places

4. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

Matt, Ash and Paul

Same thoughts here. We see a few around in the north west beach side suburbs, but never seems to be much Kombi Klub related going on. There is ParkPlatz once a month, but thats general VW, not just Kombis. Even when we head down the coast for a few days, Kombi count is generally low.
    We have toyed with the idea of a beach side BBQ or something like that, may be better in summer. Could be a good family day. Obviously have not DONE anything about it.

Am on winter break from uni. Hope to wash the Ghia and head in to ParkPlatz this weekend. Can we have a mass turnout of Kombis?

5. Gromit

Gromit Member

Hey there,

Glad to hear there are people out there :) I miss chatting to people about their van and their adventures in them.

Melbourne looks good, I'd love to go, will check with the boss.

Where and when is Park Platz? Preston is still work in progress as a camper but he goes :) I drive past the garage on the corner of brighton rd and oaklands every now and then and gaze at the van hiding in there and wonder why it doens''t have a home yet, that and the T3 camper for sale in the car hire place, i'm too scared to go look for fear I'd buy it!!!

Yup Phill love W&G, Gromit #1 was a sidecar we took our golden retriever to bike rallies in. then he needed a pal, so my brainwave was to drive to Germany for Gromit #2 for two retrievers to have space for holidays. And so my love of vans was born. We still have Gromit #2 at home so our new van needed a new name, but I do refer to every T3 as a Gromit.

I'd love to start meeting folks, not being local my ability to know god places is probably limited, but I'm fairly good at organising (was scout leader and scout for years) so i volunteer to help anyone who wants to try and organise something local.

Ash

6. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

I can't say I've ever heard of Park Platz either... And I've lived in Adelaide most of my life. Under a rock by the looks of things.

Everything that I know of is all general VW.... such as our Day of the Volkswagen (March), and Volksfest (November... unless I have it backwards, I can never remember). We have two VW clubs in SA and they do the organising. One has a run about once a month or so but I haven't had the time to go since the Christmas one. They both have facebook if you're interested.

If you go on a run there's usually a bit of everything, from brand new to type three notches and fastbacks, and the occasional Kombi (often just me) etc. Usually not too many of anything shows up, there's usually less than a dozen or so cars. I think that's just the way it is here. We don't really differentiate between the different types of VW as much as they do interstate.... we don't have the numbers. More Kombis show up at the shows tough, usually a few interstaters too.

I've never understood the notion of many a Kombi owner that things have to be solely about Kombis, because they're better than other VWs or something.... and my sister is one of them. Still don't understand her. She got really mad at me when I told her I wanted to buy one...... Maybe someone cold enlighten me? I personally don't think SA has the numbers of Kombis (certainly not those that are owned by KC members) that would support a Kombi/KC only type event, (they certainly don't seem to advertise their membership with stickers) but I cold be wrong....

Only 3 SA KCers have responded to your thread, including me, and I could personally only list three or four more.... They might be out there, but they're keeping to themselves....

Welcome to Adelaide!

Abby.74

7. Gromit

Gromit Member

Hey Abby,

I found another link for Park Platz but it says its run by Aircooled SA, we aint aircooled but I hope to just turn up anyhoo. If I get rejected I can always go home.

That's strange you say about Kombi owners only being interested in Kombi's. In the UK because there are many VW's the groups are all seperate but thats more down to the people that own them. All the shows are in England so we always travelled to them but the 80-90 club we were in had people with all sorts of vans/cars but the weekends organised were mostly for vans because you can live in one and camp in a muddy field in snow and not freeze to death with your eber on :) and they were family friendly. But the shows are general VW.

I keep looking at bugs but we have an unhealth obsession with things with engines at one point we had 2 bikes, a sidecar, 3 cars and of course the Kombi..... the drive was heaving and their is only the two of us!!! :lol:

Oh well maybe find some people around.

Ash

8. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

There is a thread here somewhere, maybe in events SA or something like that. Too lazy to look it up for you, sorry. Here's a link to another forum which gives details, http://www.vdubber.com/events/my-events/viewevent/171-parkplatz?groupid=11

ParkPlatz is first Saturday of each month. Meet in car park corner Pultney and Angus in the CBD. Starting around 7pm. People go across the street to On The Run for coffee n stuff. Moto is 'No clubs, just dubs'. All types are welcome, purely social gathering of dub lover's.

Anyhow, if the weather holds out today, I'll most likely head in for a while. Haven't been for ages, since mid summer. So, rug up and maybe I'll see you all there.

Oh, my Kombi is no goer at the mo, so I'll be driving the dayly instead.
    Kombi or no kombi, at least it is a gathering of VW folks. Better than nothing, right?

9. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've just bought this for the wife.

[​IMG]

I have had a friend of mine send it from Dumfries where it was on special from Lidl.

He was asked at the post office why he was sending a toaster to Australia. "They don't have toasters in Australia," he said. "Really" she replied.

It also has the W&G Singe-o-tron.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  11. Abby.75

Abby.75 Member

When my sister actually rocks up to an event all she wants to do is "talk Kombi" and she's quite rude about it.... especially when she had to bum a ride with me in my Beetle.... (She got mad at me for buying a Kombi because the were her "thing" and so I must have copied her..... whereas I'm more interested in all VW's, even if the first one (and the first love) was a Bug....) She's not the only person I've ever met who's like that and I've always found it disappointing. One small example is I will get waved at by Bug owners in my Kombi, but never by Kombi owners when driving a Bug.....

I know how you feel though Gromit.... there's only one of me and I have 3.5 VWs... when more than one is registered I newer know who to take when I go out....

Abby.75

12. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

My daily is niether bug nor kombi. I wave at most VW's that go by.... and get sometimes get a reaction. One time I saw a beatiful KG soft top.... Driver didn't even look my way??? Not oftem do I see another KG on Adelaide roads so I was a tad excited. What an anticlimax :umm:

On another note..... I often see a White bug when I go through the Port and wonder if it belongs to you Abbey...

13. Gromit

Gromit Member

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that :) Well even if hubby is shattered from work I'll turn up anyway just to see who does. So I may see you there later. Peoples willing to talk about their rides is always grand :)

Hi Phill,

I can't believe my mother in law didn't buy me one - I'll need to put a complaint into the management, she buys every bit of van stuff or Gromit stuff she can find at xmas! You may have just sent me on a mission to find a Preston for Preston:cool:

Hi Abby,

I wave at everyone, but I guess that also comes from being a biker (but the Harleys ignore you) I just feel a bit of a tube when I do it and I'm in the car (currently a honda). I'd love to have your problem of choosing who to go out in. The thing with the cars though I find is that it's only people in older bugs and kombis that wave, peoples in a modern bug or a T5 tend to ignore you, or a passat estate with 2.4 kids in the back :lol: it's play spot the person who would go to a VW show I think. In Scotland its bugs and kombis there are so few seen locally that its on holidays you tend to act like a loony trying to spot them so you can wave!

14. Mr Tim

Mr Tim Member

Exactly Gromit.... We play spot the kombi, and take bets on how many we see. Winner (closest guess) gets a treat :lol:

15. 1975 Westfalia

1975 Westfalia New Member

South Australia used to be one of the busiest states as far as Kombi Club outings went. Most runs were organised by TTMCK and sometimes by myself, although there were not rules. We met up every three, four or six weeks with our vans for day runs or weekend camping trips, and would easily gather between ten and twenty vans together. The locations varied around Adelaide, keeping it fresh and lively; the company was always terrific.

Then TTMCK and another member changed jobs and rarely had a weekend free. I had a year of studying in 2009 that kept me too busy to arrange anything. Without someone to post a suggestion for a run it just didn't happen. Years later and I'm still in contact with many of the original SA crew. Perhaps it's time to warm our engines again and go for a spin?

Here's a link to one of the old 'event discussion' threads from one of the last of the big gatherings. The hotel in Littlehampton has changed completely since the photo was taken, so we would definitely be the last line up of 17 kombi vans in this particular location!

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?22872-Littlehampton-SA-Cruise

16. snug

snug Member

Hello SA community,

We have been out of the loop for a while too. We have put a new engine in Mabel and she now can cruise anywhere, it would be good to have a cruise with a few Kombi's again.

17. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Would be nice to have another gathering

18. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Take charge mate, a trip to kingston or some where would be great

19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

C'mon folks...seems like people are afraid to commit to a run....don't let that dampen your enthusiasm !!

On the runs that we attend, it's always a mixed reaction in the lead up to the day....last one I organised on the beaches, only 3 or so folks said they might attend.
    We ended up with over 12 kombis of all shapes 'n' types !! :)
    Ya just can't pick it.....I've also been on runs where heaps of folks say they'll attend & only a handful turn up..:umm:

Just post up your idea of a cruise & enjoy the drive...if one or more buses turn up, it's a bonus I reckon.
    You have at least 7 locals contributing to this thread alone.....

Gotta do stuff for yourself, if folks don't want to be a part of it, it'll be their loss not yours......

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  20. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Ok ...Sunday 2 nd of feb
    There is an ice cream run bengio to Euchuca
    Its an annual event
    Hosted by vw club of bendigo
    I will be leaving mentone around 8 am
    Meeting at calder park vw club vic..bp
    at 9 am

Meeting at bendigo 10.30
    Cruise to Euchca with hopefully 100s of vws
    Suzanne and i both have monday morning off so we will camp somewhere by the Murray
    Head home monday
    Next event 8 feb
    Suzanne managed to win tickets to the day on the green at Rutherglen
    Featuring Hunters and Collecters...
    So will head off mid morning sat...
    We will stay in Betsy
    Head home either sunday or monday

Next event friday 14 to sunday 16
    Travel and Adventure film festival in Bright
    Main feature is "Bus Movie"...features Kombis
    Organizers are basically giving tickets to anyone who comes and shows their Kombi
    My son and I will be leaving Mentone about 9 am
    Am about to book a campground for the night

Next event friday 7 march
    Annuall Vw vic campout at Kennett river
    There will be a konvoy leaving ...check vw vic site for details

The kennett river campout...is also the start of Suzanne and My..big 7 month adventure out west...

This is what i am doing with my kombi over the next 8 months hopefully see you on the road at somepoint
    Cheers Jerome

ruby6689 likes this.