Is your van talking to you?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Luckyphil, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Today had Hall Sender failure, lucky for me had not only a spare dizzy but also a new Hall Sender in the spares box. both of which were at home so had to get NRMA to flat bed me home. The warning signs were there for a few weeks now ie random cut out but able to restart straight away, bit of a hick up when cold, all signs of impending failure. Best to carry spares with you and the tools to fit them especially this time of year when we go away and all the workshops & spare parts sellers are closed.
    Always carry a spare ignition switch, headlight switch, belts for Alternator & power steering, a spare dizzy, fuel pump and assortment of fuses & relays as well as bulbs. Sounds like a lot but packed well will fit into a small box.

robbie0810 and Syncro27 like this.
  2. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Phil and other T3 dudes.
    These cars are nearly 30 years young.
    I tend to have the bigger, bulkier items replaced with genuine VW as time goes on.
    I usually carry the smaller ones as spares.
    I never thought about a headlight light switch.....mmm.
    Yesterday I ordered from Mick Motors a rotor button to carry as a spare.
    I also carry a working spare ECU. Also a spare ignition lead......the longest one of the 4, and a spare new spark plug.
    A deep socket, 24mm x 3/8 drive for the oil pressure switch. GoWesty have them, difficult to get in Australia.
    I've also been carrying around the Bently manual.......I'm going to download it on a USB and have that in the car instead.
    I think the Bently will now have it's place at home propping the lounge door open.
    But the list goes on......
    Gerry

robbie0810 and Syncro27 like this.
  3. Luckyphil

Gerry you really need to carry a spare Alternator belt, if it brakes you will have no water pump, simple to fit, just need 13mm ring spanner and a screwdriver, if you have power steering you will also need a 15mm ring spanner. 10 minute job but a tow if you dont have one. At least if you have one the NRMA can fit it for you and you are on your way again.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Yep. I always carry the 3 belts and the tools.

Luckyphil likes this.
  5. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

My van used to speak Deutsch but it now speaks Deupon or is it Niptsch.

Luckyphil likes this.
  6. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

And a laptop to connect with CBBVW to diagnose those things that should never happen (and haven't so far).

oldman likes this.
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

My buses say that they want new motors, better brakes, better oil and not to be so rough when I’m washing them. I don’t listen to them though , people would think I’m nuts

Syncro27, syncro and Grantus like this.
  8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I had similar issues with the '89 Syncro a couple of years ago down in Tassie. Nick from Volksparts suggested tipping ice cold water over the sensor when it did it again and see if it starts. I did and it did. It ran for another 100km or so and then stopped again. He sent down the new sender which was installed and it never missed a beat after that. This was truely diagnosis from afar.

Ian

Grantus and oldman like this.
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup, every morning........
    “.....take me back to the beach & go surfing.........”
    So I do ;)
    Who am I to argue ?
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H likes this.
  10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's a really good fault finding tip. Thanks.

11. Luckyphil

Local mechanic Tony from Erina Automotive fitted the Hallsender to my Dizzy today. Well what a difference, no more hunting idle, sits rock solid, its never done that since i have owned the van even after the engine rebuild. Can recommend this repair to anybody who hasnt got a decent idl. Air, fuel and spark all important for nice running :)

David H and prone like this.
  12. Luckyphil

Forgot to mention, the van spoke to me again today :) this time the bloody speedo cable broke, what next. I havnt washed it in a few weeks so perhaps thats it ?

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hope were polite when you spoke back :eek:

Luckyphil likes this.
  14. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Sorry Phil. My fault. Bernard is running beautifully so that means another t3 has it’s turn at being an arse :)

15. Luckyphil

I recently had the front spindles replaced when the power steering was fitted so that probably disturbed the cable which had a cracked connector at the speedo ens anyway so needed replacing.

16. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

My 55 splitscreen says to me, stay away I don't want to be restored, so I do

oldman likes this.