1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with my Syncro

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Kombi Dad, Apr 17, 2016.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Thank's Andy for an informative post. I know that from any years ago when I had a rally car that there was a big difference in pressure at the higher temperatures depending on the quality (and price) of oils.

2. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

3. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Hi all,
    Just for a bit of fun I put a small temp gauge (thermocouple) attached to the back/top right corner of the radiator. This essentially will see the coolant temperature as it exists the radiator. Note this is attached to the radiator (attached with blue tack to insulate it), so not in the coolant itself.
    On a run up the highway on a warmish winder day, temp at that point was 40deg C. I did a run up to Montville, temp climbed to 55 up the hill, stabilised back again after a few km. The run home ambient temp was a little higher (did not measure but guessing ~26-27C), temp out of the radiator was 46C
    The temp does climb quickly when you come to a stop as you'd expect, at one long light changed it climbed to 65C.

The fan never kicked in on the trip, so the switch in the radiator (LHS) never hit it's set 85degC.

In relation to earlier posts on the oil cooler/warmer, the temp there should be engine temp, so I am guessing close to the thermostat temperature (87deg for stock). I will try moving the temp gauge a few times to look at various points in the system.

Syncro27 likes this.