Joining a QLD Club for Registration purposes (limited use)

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by butternut, Jan 14, 2016.

1. butternut

butternut Member

Hi folks,

Having just suffered a heart attack and loss of all bowel control all in the one moment when i saw my registration costs, the thought crossed my mind immediately afterwards.... maybe ill look into club registration.

I did view a thread, that whilst interesting, did not give me solid advise for QLD drivers

I also made a call to registration and transport. they advised me of certain rules that apply for club reg owners- such as only using club reg for club meets and track days etc, 15km radius for mechanical testing etc.... amongst others that went thru one ear and out the other.

I would like to know the common practices of using club reg, and how regulated it is. maybe a PM to tell me how you get on with your club reg?

Other questions i have:
    - how much are the club costs?
    - Do they issue special club rego plates
    - Other associated costs

Keep in mind this is all in order to pay less for registering a vehicle that i maybe use 10 times a year. max.

for those interested.....As of today 14/01/16 Club rego Costs for a 78 Kombi Camper are:
    6months : $260
    12 months: $500.85

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

From the Queensland TMR site some info:

Special interest vehicles
    A concession is available if you are registering a classic or vintage car, a street rod or a historic vehicle. This concession is based on the vehicle having a very strict and limited road use.

This concession is available for the following vehicles:

• vehicles that are at least 30 years old
    • historic ambulances or historic fire-fighting equipment vehicles
    • street rods (hot rods)—vehicles that have been modified for safe road use and have a body and frame built before 1949
    • replicas of a motor vehicle, the body and frame of which were built before 1949, that is fitted with a modification plate (code LH9 or LH10).
    The special interest vehicle scheme guide(PDF, 300KB) ( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/R...ion/Special_interest_vehicle_scheme_guide.pdf ) outlines where and how vehicles under this concession can be used. You and anyone driving your vehicle must follow these conditions at all times.

Vehicles with this concession have limitations placed on their use. Events special interest vehicles can take part in include:

• rallies organised by incorporated vehicle clubs
    • processions, displays, fetes and other similar events
    • ceremonies such as weddings or formals involving immediate family members, where no fee or reward is given.
    Read the Motoring Organisation and Car Club meeting minutes ( http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrat.../The-special-interest-vehicle-concession.aspx ).

Club joining and annual fees will vary, some are strict on your involvement in club events and others not so strict ..... 3 Qld VW Clubs are the VW Drivers Club of Qld Inc ( http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/membership ) and the other is KlubVW (no website but contact Alec Brown aka kombisaint on here) & Bad Little Buggers (not sure if they can do club rego - http://www.blbvw.org.au/membership).

Hope the above helps :):rolleyes::D

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Clubs in NSW are very strict. Use it illegally once and they take the plates off you.

How much is normal rego?:eek:

4. butternut

butternut Member

$770/ 12mnths ($713 discounted)
    $426 / 6 months (369 discounted)

5. butternut

butternut Member

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I think you'll find that most folks are on "normal" rego.
    In NSW anyway, the restrictions of Club rego. rule out the option of just getting in & driving whenever
    you want......it's just not practical for a lot of folks....
    With rego. costs that high, I'm guessing you're under 25.
    If that's the case , rego. is always gonna be expensive for you, no matter what vehicle....
    I'm paying $496.00 for 12 months plus ctp insurance.
    Shop around for your insurance, it's amazing the variation in premiums.
    Just be sure to read the fine print, cheap insurance doesn't cover you for a great deal.
    I & many others here, are with Shannon's.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Mark I think that you will find that Butternut's $770 includes CTP insurance whereas yours is extra.

8. oldman

Sheesh Phill, if you're correct, $770 / $713 is a lot cheaper than NSW.......o_O
    My CTP is another $462......... bringing mine to $ 958 total !!
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Remember 30 years ago when the CTP was included in NSW rego. Well that is where Queensland is now.;)

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And the ACT still does that, now with a choice of 4 insurance companies, to tick your chosen one, on the rego renewal....;)

11. oldman

Ahhhhh....beautiful one day........behind the rest of the country the next...:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Just renewed rego on my T3 4/1/16 and it cost $717 which included CTP, seems cheaper on Central Coast.

13. oldman

Yeah Phil, it's the CTP that pushes it up.....anywhere in Sydney is exxy..
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. KahunaKombi

Yup roles reversed - from memory Qld had separate CTP but people weren't keeping it so the Gov't made it compulsory that Compulsory Third Party insurance was paid at the time of the registration renewal.

For comparison the 2014/2015 rego fee for the T3 SC was CTP - $380.60 + Registration Fee - $280.05 + Traffic Improvement Fee (TIF) - $48.85 = $709.50 ....... no idea what the TIF is as it doesn't seem to have improved traffic at all :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  15. KahunaKombi

Ka-ching - the government still wants the commonwealth to pay for everything so they incur no further debt :eek: ...... not sure about the slogan as they forgot about the oppressive humidity - the heat is bearable but the humidity :confused: which they fail to mention :oops:

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Saving yourself $270 for a year with too many restrictions is not very good value for money, in my opinion. It's your choice as to whether it suits you.
    We have 3 kombis, 1 touareg, 1 golf, 1 charade and 2 motorbikes that I have to pay rego and insurances on at the moment - but - I know that I can use any one of them at any time I want and for how long. I do not want to think how much it is costing me but I can tell you I pay $310 per month for comprehensive insurances alone.

Aspro likes this.
  17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Something doesn't add up there.

18. KahunaKombi

Not a typist, arthritic fingers, didn't check typing :p

19. butternut

butternut Member

mellisa, you speak much truth and you make me feel a whole lot better about paying 1 rego.. thanks

melissa likes this.
  20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I can understand exactly where you are coming from as the wives Honda Odessy had to registered Cost $705 for 12 mths, went down to the dept of vehicle registration , ask for seniors concession {as it was not on the papers} , the person behind the counter checked the computer and politely told us that we were entitled to a concession and also we should have had it the previous year as well, but did not get it, so as luck would have it he gave us last years and this years concession all in one go, saving approximately $270, Nice xmas pressie. So for anyone who is over 65 and on a pension check your rego papers , If its not on your paper work TELL THEM TO ADD IT ON and then claim what you are entitled to , better off in your pocket then the government coffers

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016