Just a warning.

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Split 1, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I have had a number of people contact me regarding what to look for when buying a split.
    I thought I would post this so it might help a few.
    Some people are trying to sell them with shinny paint and saying they are in good condition, please beware.
    If they havent had a full resto they soon will, there are not many unrestored splits around now that wont need all the usual work, this means sills inner and outer, dog legs, lower front nose ect.
    I bought my deluxe and it was one of the straightest one owner vans I had seen for a long while, it still needs all of the above.
    So why buy a van for 6k-10k that hasnt had a resto when you might as well buy one for 1.5 or 2k when it will still need the same amount of work.

Please have someone check any van out in person, if buying over the net, do not, I repeat do not buy without checking in person first, pictures taken by a seller can be taken from certain angles as to hide any real dodgy areaPlease do not just take the sellers word that it is rust free, they are not!!!!

Dave

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Heres mine with a bit less rust in the same position, far left of the pic

[​IMG]

And heres what I have had to do to get rid of it, they rust from the inside out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So unless you can weld and then paint, it could cost well over a grand just to fix that small bit of rust.
    As I said just a warning to have any vans checked out.

Dave

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. compayo

compayo New Member

So tru about rust coming from the inside out. People often think bubbles is just surface rust. The fact is the paint on the outside of the vehicle protects from rust. The inside of panels are not painted. Once the rust has eaten 100% of the way through to the underneath of the paint, there is no fixing the rust. It HAS TO BE CUT OUT. The metal inside also is usually rusted too.

Also remembering there will be areas that have rusted maybe 50%, 90% or 99.99% of the way through, and you have more areas of rust coming.

To fix properly = time and to a fair degree skill. If you don't have these things, then you can buy them with $.

4. gr8t advice

5. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Great post, Dave.
    Here I am, thinking I was getting good at spotting a bad bus & when I looked REAL hard at that Pano I was in the throes of buying, I relalised it was more air & bog in places, than real steel. Could be fixed, but not for the $$ he wanted.

Look REALLY carefully, people.

Rob J

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Excellent advice Dave

7. Takhoal

Takhoal New Member

This should be a sticky ;)

8. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Just another warning,
    Dont take peoples word or so called reputation for quality of work.
    We all know who did the body work on a certain deluxe and that was full of so much bog that the windows wouldnt fit.

Please get independent checks done.
    Dave

9. logicquests

logicquests New Member

I saw a camper today. Someone had bought it in Queensland and had it trucked down to Sydney.

On the way, the poptop had blown off ripping a large chunk of bogged roof off with it. This had put a fair bit of stress on the body and cracks started to appear all over the van and its shiny new paint. From a distance it looked very eye catching and I was really impressed with it.

Up close it was bog and a decent paint job on wheels.

Scary stuff really. I felt very sorry for the guy. He had paid decent money for it as it really did look the part. He was now up for at least 10k in rust repairs Just to get it to a semi roadworthy state.

My feeling in my latest search has been, new paint, good price, no photo's = "swim away, swim away"

Hopefully Karma has the seller lined up with termites, haemorrhoids, premature ejaculation or something of the like.

Logic

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    evan&janine and Cooper62 like this.
  10. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Hmm that is my fear. Looking at buying a bus interstate and the add said it was a bare metal respray. I guess i will be asking for the name of the company that did the job and asking for photos of the job. These are not a cheap mode of transport as they once were?

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

It you are looking at a bare metal respry bus then there will be photos the whole way through. Look at my thread in my signature. That is what a bare metal respray looks like.
    Plus if it is done then they will be asking enough coin to go and look at it yourself. Spent time underneath checking every nook and cranny. If any look suss then be prepared to walk away and get a flight home.
    Will cost you a lot more then a taxi, hotel and a flight in the long run.

Aspro likes this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Like Brad said.
    Plus heed previous posts
    much cheaper to walk away unless absolutely sure and all items checked/ticked.
    No proof = didn't happen.
    bare metal resto means nothing if the idiot didn't know how to prep the metal or weld properly /has taken short cuts.
    need expert pre purchase check then also view it in the flesh assisted by someone experienced in the field. [mechanical and /or body work]

have seen a lot of expensive 'resto' and full bare metal resprays blow out because the operators are either dodgy/ full of s##t or no idea and learning at customers expense..
    have been checking for people for the last year and a continual supply of dodgy 'handiwork ' on the market at mo and it seems more than a few people wanting to cash in on perceived high prices or realising how much to fix and seeking to dump their 'albatrosses'.

there is always crud on the market but seems a lack of honest clean items at realistic prices presently.

Be patient.
    likely will take a year to find a good one? Check out plenty and develop an eye for good and bad.

jimbi likes this.
  13. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

The car i am looking at is in SA and the asking price is 32K? We are hiring a bay for a week end to see how the better half likes the Kombi pace and life style. Up until that point no offers on the table just seeing what is on the market. I have a T3 that i think is beyond redemption:( hence why the look at a finished project. The fear of unscrupulous operators or cutting corners still sits in the back of my mind. a good paint job can hide a multitude of sins.

Thanks for the heads up.

14. damo99

damo99 New Member

thers a yellow and white 11 window split for sale at the moment thats been boged by kip
    beware

cbus and Aspro like this.
  15. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Hey Demo99 how did you find out about this

16. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Went to the Volksfest in Adelaide two weeks ago as the daughter WAS interested in buying a bay window , after looking around at some that were for sale I think she has changed her mind for the moment and I am not surprised , the prices that they are asking is nothing short of stupid , one in particular was asking $19995, almost every panel was dented ,more rust than I care to think about and then there was the interior ,well not to much could said about that, the paper work said the mechanics were in really good shape but hey who knows.
    Asking price was in my humble opinion was well and truly over the top and would not be a good proposition , definitely a buyer beware job :(

Borgey likes this.
  17. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

Caveat emptor, people.