JUST KAMPERS - 'ADR' APPROVED ROCK & ROLL BED

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Cherie Whenan, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Cherie Whenan

Cherie Whenan New Member

Hi Folks,
    For those that are interested in the R&R Bed by Just Kampers Australia that has been ADR approved, the latest update is that it is being manufactured in China (No surprise there!) and it is hoped it will be available early to mid December.
    The old price was about $800 so hope this is similar with the new one.
    Will keep people posted when it is available.
    Cheers,
    Cherie

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2017
    wayne grant likes this.
  2. Troy

Troy Member

anymore info on this with the ADR approval ?
    cheers
    Troy

3. Cherie Whenan

Cherie Whenan New Member

Hi Troy,
    There has been a hold up with the bed from the manufacturer. I have been in contact with Just Kampers Australia (contact Gerald @ Just Kampers # 02-96457660) each week and I am just waiting to here the latest update from Gerald now. Gerald has just informed me that they have contacted the supplier for an ETA for the shipment; it is on the sea now. Price will be about $840 each.
    Once they arrive, I"' let the club members know. You could call JK direct if you wish.
    Hope this helps,
    Cherie

4. Troy

Troy Member

thanks for the update Cherie

5. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Spend a bit more and get the KustomKombi one. A lot better

Chidori likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

People cannot raise Jamie,Steve...... hence the search for options.......
    Cheers,
    Mark

Chidori likes this.
  7. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

So these are full width seats ? no option to have them for campers?

Are they ADR compliant, the old reviews say no but they might have updated the seat.

8. Cherie Whenan

Cherie Whenan New Member

Hi '76 kampa,
    For details regarding the R&R bed you could look at the Just Kampers Australian website. The bed is ADR approved now but not previously. The new bed is meant to be on sale very soon(so I've been advised by 'Gerald' at JK) and is to be sold at the same price as per the website ~$841. My understanding is that the bed is adjustable to fit the Kombis and still will require boards and foam to complete. Our trimmer (Mark Attard @ Black Needle, Penrith) will be doing this for us as he has had a lot of experience with these beds from Jamie before. As I have stated before, Jamie has had some difficulties and his beds were ADR approved , but I believe from previous postings that there has been issues with payment and supply and contact so hence we have decided to go elsewhere. JK are now filling this niche market. No other company that I have contacted overseas can supply me with any documentation that would pass ADR approval. It's based on 'heresay'. For us that was a risk we were not prepared to take financially and so we have been advised by our engineer that we would have to pay for 2 beds and have one tested by them and then if that complies to the rigorous testing, then it would be approved to install the second bed. Jamie's bed was tested by this company at Hornsby to pass the ADR compliancy. We are converting our 76 Kombi transporter to a R&R bed configuration at the back seat but not changing the seating arrangement. The Kombi will still be a 7 seater. Be mindful though, that the seatbelts also have to be ADR compliant and there are a couple of companies in Australia that have this approval - 'Hemco' in Victoria #1300065057 is one of these. Also. it is the anchoring of the bed frames to the body of the car which is also important.
    I hope this helps,
    Cherie

9. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They are going to need to update info to avoid confusion.

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I used Seat Safe (https://www.seatsafe.com.au/) for new seat belts in the Type3 - they are ADR approved ....... there are seatbelts sold through some VW shops that state ISO9001 which is quality assurance and not necessarily ADR approved.

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

13. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I just ordered one of these (might be setting myself up for disappointment)
    I asked about the ADR approval. This is what I've learned
    The bed is built to ADR spec (VBS 5)
    There is no paper work supplied that you can give to a signatory (new name for engineer) but there is a sticker on the frame with the above info
    They will supply the paper work to signatories on request, something about industry secrets (weird because build info for seats is freely available through RMS).
    The thing comes flat packed.
    They have a no questions return policy so if it looks like crap it's going back.

I asked about the derogatory testimonial and was told this new bed has been altered and made stronger (we'll see)
    They can't alter the web site because it's part of the UK site, but they're trying. They said they'd have to call it under a new part number (probably a good idea)
    Anyway I'll post some pics when I get it.

Chidori and oldman like this.
  14. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

No paperwork :0 is a sticker good enough?

I sent a link to my cousin cause she needs one and then she read the reviews ..... I did try to explain that this was supposed to be a new model.

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

No different to the way Kustom Kombi does his...

16. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I dont rate most of the stuff that I have bought from JK - that's why I go through Motors where possible.
    That said - they do stand by their return policy and accepted quite a few dodgy parts back. Even after a period of use and then them failing.

Good luck with the bed!

17. rstucke

KustomKombi are too difficult to deal with and JK are closer to home
    Look I'm sure it's going to be what I need and if the signatory needs info it can be got.
    So far everything I've bought through JK (and that's a fair bit) has been fine and has fit the build
    Just got an email that says it will be here tomorrow, that's quick.

oldman likes this.
  18. Oskar

Oskar New Member

I’ve just ordered one as well, have been looking for a while for an ADR approved bed. Will let you know what it is like.

19. rstucke

package arrived today
    P3020088.jpg

Looks good. 25mm square tube, 1.6mm wall thickness.
    Haven't checked that against adr specs.

P3020089.jpg

some mods still needed base cross piece at front for example needed to be cut

P3020090.jpg P3020091.jpg
    Will post more next week when I build this thing

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    76kampa and David H like this.
  20. Cherie Whenan

Cherie Whenan New Member

I picked up our R&R bed from JK today and Gerald was very generous with his time in explaining the 'story' of how this new bed came about. Kai and Gerald have assembled the new bed in the warehouse for those who would like to see it before purchase. For me, this was reassuring.
    As I have said before, I also have spent many hours canvassing these beds from overseas suppliers and also here and the upshot of that was, no one was prepared to give me any documentation to support the 'heresay' that was offered - this was a gamble that we were not prepared to entertain. I also checked out the ADR compliance for these beds and it was pretty stringent.

I spoke to our engineer who had tested Jamie's bed and he advised not to purchase one of these beds unless we were prepared to have it rigorously tested. More money wasted.

JK have had this bed in the pipeline for several year so I've been told and had the JK UK bed tested as the UK would not provide them with the results. They then decided to design their own. The first prototype failed dismally and they then several Enthusiasts and with a design engineer brainstormed the designs and came up with this bed and it passed the rigorous crash testing with flying colours and hence the ADR approval sticker. As stated before, the Engineer assessing the modifications has to apply to JK Head office in Auburn for the paperwork due to protections for this patent and sign a disclosure protection doc.
    I have checked the bed and it is sturdy steel, adjustable to 1 metre to 1.5 meters in width. It adjusts with sliding the frame into itself. The frame is kept in place with the board when it is secured to the frame at the desired width.The support brackets in the fold between the 2 sections when the bed is flat, have been reinforced and more sturdy than the previous model. All bolts and nylocks are stainless steel. There are 2 stainless steel locking brackets at the front section to secure the bed to the front frame; these are German made. The frame is steel and powder coated in black satin paint. It does not come with foam nor boards; these are extras. The anchor bolts for the floor are not provided due to the various requirements by individual Kombi owners.

Gerald has advised me that this bed will be on display at the National VW show at Fairfield later in the year, probably Nambucca and possibly in Melbourne.

It cost $727 with GST of $72.00 cheaper than Jamie's version and $40+ cheaper than the UK version.

Hope this helps,
    Happy assembly,
    Cheers Cherie