JUST KAMPERS - 'ADR' APPROVED ROCK & ROLL BED

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Cherie Whenan, Oct 25, 2017.

1. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I don't see an issue with having to raise the rear engine bay area - could be useful for extra storage under the mattress.
    It would also allow for a air space under the bed - healthy and allow engine heat to dissipate after a drive.

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

There's a bit different between that bed and this bed. I know because I've seen both. That bed is a poor copy of the original Just Kampers UK bed and not a good one, @Squidy can vouch for that. The bed that we sell - while essentially the same as the JK UK bed, has many improvements over the original. Some of these for ADR eg, the seat base latches and thicker side arms, others for ease of use.

It does cost money to develop a product, take it to testing, pay an engineer and get it certified. Then pay for the tooling upfront, manufacturing and then the container shipping costs.

End of the day we are trying our best to make the best rock and roll bed we can that is ADR certified that no one will have trouble with. As you can imagine there are some things on the first version that we will change on the next iteration to make it easier for our customers.

We are open to constructive feedback, you know where to contact us.

KahunaKombi, oldman, Syncro27 and 8 others like this.
  3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Needs to come in more colours Kai!

HA! :D

Kai likes this.
  4. Vamper1

Vamper1 Member

just wondering have if you've had made progress with installation and engineering ??

5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Here is my progress so far. I'm not finished as the upholstery still needs to be done ( happening soon)

The side connecting pieces are much thicker than other commercially available frames (I've seen home made ones with this thickness)
    P3050088.jpg

The frame went together pretty quick
    P3050089.jpg

when I trial fitted I noticed the end stays (bits that hold the back of the bead) fouled on the wheel arches, will need to fix that.

P3060093.jpg
    P3060094.jpg

So tried some adjustments
    P3060101.jpg
    P3060095.jpg

Didn't work.

6. rstucke

The bed seat needed to be closer to the engine compartment so a little trimming was in order (not much)
    P3060096.jpg

The frame was loose as is and warped so I braced it straight and welded the whole thing.
    P3060097.jpg P3060098.jpg P3060099.jpg

frame went back in to re-check the fit (needs to be lined up to the engine cover and be level)

P3060100.jpg

David H likes this.
  7. rstucke

First lot of brackets in (I think these are the most important ones to get right.
    The seat part needs to be level or leaning back a little (leaning forward is definitely out)
    P3080102.jpg P3080104.jpg

8. rstucke

I didn't like the screws used as pivots as they are threaded all the way and It won't take long for them to wear and cut into the frame.
    So I replaced them with high tensile bolts that had smooth unthreaded shanks. I didn't think the 8mm bolt on the centre pivot was enough so drilled it out to 10mm.
    This also allowed the frame to open fully as the holes in the bosses weren't lined up properly.

P3080106.jpg P3080107.jpg

9. rstucke

I changed the back section to better connect to the kombi and strengthen where it was bowing a bit.

P3090109.jpg P3100111.jpg P3100112.jpg

You can see the extra attachments I've added.

cbus and oldman like this.
  10. rstucke

A coat of paint and re-assembly.
    Have a go what I found under the powder coat of the steel connectors.
    P3100114.jpg P3100116.jpg P3110118.jpg P3120088.jpg

Burnstar and Barry like this.
  11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Careful Rick, ...you’ll have folks queueing up for you to install...:p
    Love your work.
    Particularly highlighting the fact that the install. is just as important as the integrity of the element itself. :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. Vamper1

Vamper1 Member

Thanks Rick for the pics and commentary :)
    yes impressive work !!!
    Would you know if the bed would need similiar adjustments to fit a T3 ?

13. rstucke

At this point I re-located the rear bed stays so the wouldn't foul the rear wheel guards and put some clips on them to keep them out of the way while lowering the bed back to a seat.
    . P3130089.jpg
    P3130090.jpg

here's how it fits

P3130092.jpg

now to finish the brackets
    There's also room for a 100a/h AGM battery

P3140093.jpg P3140094.jpg P3160088.jpg P3160090.jpg

14. rstucke

P3160091.jpg P3160093.jpg P3160094.jpg P3160095.jpg P3160096.jpg

These are the steps I took to make this bed/seat fit my camper to my standard.
    I'm not saying you need to do this but I would recommend it.
    The most important part is to get the rear angle bracket in the right place.
    If it's out nothing else will line up.
    Not sure about fitting in a T3, probably the same sort of challenges.

Next step is upholstery after the roof lining and pop top canvas go in

Cheers

oldman and 76kampa like this.
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Unacceptable prep for the powder coating.
    No primer either.
    A zinc epoxy should be used and parts sandblasted if scale or rust present.
    Normal continous line degrease adequate for clean metal.
    Signs of lack of adhesion as expected.

Good work.
    Would cost them heaps to have these issues rectified by an engineer.
    Hopefully some adoption of the issues you bring up can be taken on board .
    Always a process to refine a product and the demand is there.

Some templates for positiong of fixtures would be good if not already avail.

oldman likes this.
  16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Rick, most impressive ;)

17. SuppsByJase

SuppsByJase Member

I ended up getting in touch with Jamie after a few months of hassling him lol

The quality of his stuff is awesome and I had it fitted by a mate that works at a hot rod / classic car resto shop and he had no issues whatsoever!

Haven't slept on it yet though!

18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Wow. Impressive install. Such a shame they have not got the design right before going to market though. I love Just Kampers and have only had pleasant dealings with them. A few products were not up to scratch though and ended up in the bin pretty quickly but they are normally a cheap and cheerful option.

But I would have been dissapointed in having to make so many modifications in comparison to the Kustom Kombi product that I have in the bus. Fit in straight away and it still looks like the only ADR Compliant bed on the market. I could be wrong but Jamie supplies the ply and foam as they are all part of the ADR Compliance system. So if you get the JK bed you would need to get and engineer to test the strength of the ply and also the foam density as if it is too soft then the interaction with the foam / passenger / seatbelt could be compromised.

But credit to the install. Great quality choices to get it right!

19. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I think we need to compare apples with apples.
    The JK unit is less than half the price of the other unit.
    For me, I have no need for a compliant bed to support extra passengers with seat belts, my van is a two person vehicle and will remain so.
    Having spoken to an engineer about this item he agreed I had no need to make any changes to this type of seat/ bed.
    I'm sure I can happily install the JK bed and cut a bit of ply and foam.

20. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

The Just Kampers bed seat in question is $800 vs $900 for the Kustom Kombi one that comes with the ply and foam.

Worth the $100 extra for something that works first time without modifications. I know people have had issues with getting Jamie on the phone, but it is worth while.
    When I contacted him about my 66 he was pretty sure he had the setout of the optional kick sorted, but came and templated off my bus so he definitely had it correct me me and every 66 from that point on.