1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just kampers drive away tent

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Blunderbus, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Any one have one of these tents, look the goods for use with the kombi and even stand alone would work.

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I used to have a JK Spacemaker Driveaway tent and now I have another JK supplied tent made by Outwell.

Both are great but i like the size and design of the Outwell better.

This is the Spacemaker:
    [​IMG]

This is the Outwell:
    [​IMG]

3. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Thanks Scott, i see you had height issues with the syncro. Was the spacemaker room adult sized or kids only ?

4. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Ive got the outwell which is really good...has a ground sheet, plenty of room but wouldnt like to set up on my own or in the wind..

Ive also owned the canvas version of the spacemaker in the uk which I thought was very easy to put up on your own, big enough (4 of us camped) but didnt have a ground sheet

So younwill have to weigh up what is best for you .....the spacemaker is also a lot quicker to set up

5. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

The Outwell, is an absolutely fantastic awning, the size makes up for the need for a friend to help you put it up, we have had ours 2 years now, and will be going to the trouble of cleaning it so we can bring it to oz with us next year......its that good!!

We had a canvas raleigh chalet that was good but small, could be put up on my own

Outdoor revolution Kamper XL ** AVOID**, total gargbage and was sent back for a refund as corroded in 3 days of dry weather, didnt fit a bay, and just really poorly made

And the outwell, buy one, they are worth the money!!

6. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

The outwell doesnt really appeal to me as it just looks like a dome tent which i can find cheaper. I can add the extra space with a tarp or stand alone awning/ gazebo type thing. I will look at other RV tents as well in case i see something else that will work, thankyou all for the feedback.

Nick.

7. Syncro27

My Spacemaker from JK did have the floor but it did struggle a bit with the height of the syncro.

The Outwell copes with it well.

The extra space in the Outwell is great for storage of gear and kids toys out of the weather and out of sight.

The little side doors are great too.

8. KombiFringe

KombiFringe Member

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the JK Outwell Easy Camp Storage awning? It has more of a dome shape and I am interested, about pooling of water in the connection to the Kombi? the shape of the other's is more curve rather than high peak of the dome in this Easy Camp. I was thinking of a slightly smaller awning as I am doing this myself and maybe only camping for 48hrs in free camps rather than static camping.
    All advice is welcome.

9. JayBone

JayBone Member

We have the Khyam motordome tourer, looks just like this, but the poles are pre-inserted and it literally goes up and down in 2 minutes!

We have never had a big problem with pooling water, as long as you when you hook it up to the gutter it goes taut.

We generally dont actually connect it to the bus, just have it sat near the bus as an additional shelter :)

10. KombiFringe

KombiFringe Member

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G'day

I have just purchased a JK Spacemaker Driveaway like the one Syncro27 has in the first picture

I also have a 1991 Caravelle

I have set it up in the back yard but have a few questions

How do you attach the tent to the van
    Looks like you thread a pole through and then use the clamp things to clamp to the gutter rail? The clamp is a "C" clamp and a bit concerned about it biting the flat bottor on the rain channel
    Does anyone have a photo?
    Just cant quite get my head around

Also does some one have some idea of how the floor fits together??
    Or even the bottom of the tent. The corners have me stumpded. I have just pegged away.
    I can get my head around the fact it splays at the bottom - but do you peg the ground sheet first

Besides that it seems fine.
    Have not tried to pack it up yet.
    Reckon that might be a bit tricky

Barry

12. Syncro27

Barry,

You need to put the tent up first with the poles to half height (ie dont put the four base poles in yet) then you can walk it to the best spot next to your van - then put the bottom legs on , adjust the postion and peg down in 4 corners only. (ensure it remains zipped up at all times fully). Then thread the pole through and clamp it to your gutter. Then peg the base of the sleeve under your van - make sure the sliding door opens.

Then I would peg the guy ropes in of the main tent - then put the floor in with the pole base spikes going through the eylets in the floor - it should fit perfect (the floor is a rectangle shape so you need to get it the right way). Then open it up and strt pegging the floor & inner side flpas down which tuck under the floor (so any flowing water drains under the tent & not in). Then peg the outside flap outwards to direct rain away from the floor (whilst the tent zips are closed).

Then open the tent zips, crack open a beer (you will need it by this stage) and fill the tent with your stuff.

They are a very strong tent and mine handled some gale force winds. Which ripped a next door neighbours tent to pieces when I was @ Crescent Head a few years back.

Best of luck.

By the way - go and purchase the figure 8 plastic lengths (get 4) they are soo much better, quicker and easier than the clamps to fit/ remove. JK sell them in 75cm lengths.