1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just kampers scissor struts

Discussion in 'Body' started by steve_4802, May 30, 2017.

1. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Anyone have experience with just kampers pop top struts? Particularly with a Sopru camper too?

I have aftermarket ones that keep bending, I'm not sure of the make. I also have a poor condition set of original sopru struts but they're even more bent and were only sourced as a sample to allow me to custom make a set of stainless steel ones to similar design. I've spent more than I'd like on the bus lately in both time and money so thinking in the interim to fit a set of the just kampers struts if they aren't too bad.

I'd be most interested to know people's experience with:
    • Fit on a sopru roof, and does it close completely without pushing the roof sides out or up. Currently at the back the struts I have don't let the roof close the last 10-15mm.
    • Stiffness to pull down; I note mine is quite firm to pull down and I expect it's cause they are some sort of slightly heavier duty caravan ones or the springs are too stiff
    • Have they bent at all? My current ones bend sideways at the centre connection resulting in it pushing out on the side of the roof such that it no longer sits completely inside the gutter. I'm repeatedly straightening them by hitting them which will soon risk cracking the glass at the mounts, and they bend about 10mm out again after a few goes of camping.
    • Do they sit in the original mounting location and use the same bolt holes as the original struts?
    If they generally fit well and without fuss I'll likely just get a set of just kampers ones and when they die I'll hopefully have a little more time to do up a custom stainless set.

Alternatively, are there any other make struts that people recommend?

2. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

I've bought a set but haven't fitted them yet. And I'm likely to be away for work a lot in the next month so no idea when I'll get the chance. I could probably take a few measurements though if that helps. Some of those questions need answering before I attack the job anyway...

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Mine are stock, as fitted by Sopru so can't really comment on replacements....but;
    The struts have never bent outwards ( they are the tubular type - not rectangular solid section.)
    Roof closes all the way down & internal straps hold it there.
    (Worth noting that the springs are under max. tension when the roof is closed...that's why they "lift" the weight when raised.... also why it seems hard to pull down.....you are stretching all three springs at the same time.)
    Good luck.
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Steve_4802,
    They're probably a set from JK:rolleyes:.
    Agree with Mark. Mine are original & aside from some lubrication over the years have never given any grief. Look for where the extra tension is coming from & go burko with the WD40. All pivots & the springs & tracks as well. Are the springs rusty? as this will also affect tension?
    Cheers

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I found some after market struts (solid scissors type).
    Spring top and bottom. Originals only on the bottom.
    Cut the top spring out. Seem to work perfectly.
    Cheers

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Rick,
    Could you explain more fully the process you did please......... Okay..negated the top spring & why.....wouldn't it just make 'lift' easier? Where did you get them?
    Cheers

7. kombiwhisperer

kombiwhisperer Member

I have tried new Just Campers hinges, same as you buy for caravans-- springs too strong, rated at 40 kg each, even with knocking out 1 spring they are pretty strong--depends on your roof weight. Ended up fitting original springs to sides, and 1 new spring only in rear---------have fun

steve_4802 likes this.
  8. rstucke

Here's the web site I got my scissor lifts from, they have both types. I opted for the solid type.

http://www.theoffroader.com.au/canopy-lift-mechanism-standard-tension-spring-900m

http://www.theoffroader.com.au/canopy-lift-mechanism-tubular-type-900mm

Both have a 30kg lift, which x 3 lifts is ridiculous and pushing down on them tended to bow them out.
    I removed the lower spring and all was good (they were just slightly stiffer than the originals and no bowing.
    You can see the difference in spring size in these pics
    P6010003.JPG
    P6010003a.JPG

Its important if you do remove the spring to leave the end loop around the pin at the wheel end as it helps set the wheel.

P6010003b.JPG

As a matter of interest the whole poptop arrangement (with all it's rust problems) gave me the shits so I
    repaired the rust, re-enforced the hole (that was created with a tin opener) with some box section that was rolled to the correct profile, chucked the lower fibreglass portion and made the water dam a part of the roof then re-shaped the upper fibreglass portion to be a perfect fit to the roof with a rubber bubble seal. I'm using HD clear contact on the paint where the seal sits. The whole thing isn't quite done yet as the pop top needs paint and canvas.
    Here's some pics

P1280024.JPG P3270133.JPG P3270150.JPG P3270151.jpg P6010004.JPG P6010005.JPG P9060005.JPG

steve_4802, David H, PICT and 2 others like this.
  9. rstucke

P9060008.JPG

David H and PICT like this.
  10. steve_4802

steve_4802 Active Member

Rstucke,
    Thanks for the photos and feedback. Ended up going with the flat bar struts and disconnecting the lower springs to make less stiff. Much better than what I had in there and no longer bowing out. Success.

To clarify for any others in future, it was these ones:
    http://www.theoffroader.com.au/canopy-lift-mechanism-standard-tension-spring-900m

Much stiffer than original but with lower springs disconnected it's a viable alternative.

cbus likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Looks like a good option for people fitting awnings or just more weight on roof.
    Link has good priced upgrade tie down bases and convenient additional support braces for when top up with awning erected.