1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Kampers sliding windows, fitting

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by mr930, Dec 14, 2013.

1. mr930

mr930 Active Member

I'm trying to fit some sliding windows I bought off just kampers, and not having a lot of success. Seems first attempt I had the rubber around the wrong way, but not fitting the other way. Has anyone got a secret to fitting them? My last kombi I bought them off the bus stop and the rubber was already fitted, these ones are a pain.
    Any suggestions. I'm doing the one on the sliding door first.

2. Frank

Frank Active Member

There are a few threads here that exist with tips on fitting the windows - but you need to use some string and also it's important to put the top in first and then press the bottom in - that makes the job soooo much easier (hope that helps)

3. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

I agree with Frank, top in first and then push bottom in. I bought mine from JK with seals already fitted and they went in easily. I used baby soap as suggested by others on this forum, some say use nothing, others silicone (I wouldn't personally recommend silicone).

tom

4. Marlyn

Marlyn Active Member

As above with a fair bit of grunt ! We encountered the same difficulties but perseverance won ,as Frank suggests have a look at the thread on here and don't be afraid to use some force
    Good luck

5. mr930

mr930 Active Member

Well I've been fighting for hours and come to the conclusion they must have sent the wrong windows or rubbers. The window only just fits in the hole without the rubber on. I'll be ringing just kampers tomorrow. What makes it worse is I cut the old window out so I can't refit it.

6. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

What a pain; have you tried just fitting the rubber to see if it's the correct length?

tom

7. mnskmobi

mnskmobi New Member

I realise this thread is a bit old but I am stuck in exactly the same situation and wondered how you resolved it?

8. Melb.VDubber

Melb.VDubber Member

I had the same issues. Have a good look at the window. I was trying to get the wrong section in. It sits in deeper than what you think., really look at the channel. I found it made no difference fitting top or bottom first. Plenty of silicone spray and a rope and they go in really quickly once you figure it out. I think the first one took me several goes and many many hours. Once I figured it out we got the rest of the bus sorted in less than an hour.

9. Melb.VDubber

Melb.VDubber Member

Where are you located? I'd be happy to help out?

Grantus likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good stuff! Love the way KC works....:)

11. mnskmobi

mnskmobi New Member

Thanks for the offer! I will send my details to you directly.

12. mr930

mr930 Active Member

I was trying to fit it with the rubber inside out. The way it's supposed to fit doesn't look right. Once I worked it out it was an easy fit. Hope that helps. The rubber doesn't go around the frame like you would think but fits into a recess.

Grantus likes this.
  13. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Glad you got them in mate. Any photos installed?

Im keen to see how they look next to the rear left window - are the seals very different?

Keen to do this on our sliding door when i repaint it, but trying to decide which brand is best for a good fit and OEM look,.

Thanks!
    Dan

14. garlo

garlo Member

Hi Dan here is a photo of my JK rear windows fitted. Regards, Nigel.[​IMG]

Syncro27 and StevieVW like this.
  15. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Thanks Nigel - looks good! Happy with them?

16. garlo

garlo Member

Yep for sure. No leaks, open & close fine. Look pretty neat. Put one in the other side as well just to balance it up. Cheers, Nigel.

17. Miss Rosie

Miss Rosie Member

Hey Nigel...lovely looking kombi! What colour red is that?

18. garlo

garlo Member

Hi Miss Rosie. Thanks. It's a bright red (specially mixed) to match my seat covers. Nige.

19. andrew

andrew Active Member

Hi MelbVDubber
    I am down to the centre sliding windows - I had a window fitter tell me the rubbers were wrong, the car is in reservoir at the upholsterer and I have been away. I took the old rubbers down this morning and after a fair of time verified we had the right rubbers.

I couldn't see how to get the frame in with the rubber on it so taped the rubber in place and put the bottom in. Very frustrating and 3 hours later I though I would see if anyone who had done it would be available to give me a hand or as detailed step by step instructions and I will have another go.

I wish I took a photo as the seals I have have the sliding windows frame (original frames rather than new ones. ) the rubber has a lip that flicks over the window frame rather than the door or window surrounds which leads me to think that it is best to put the rubber in place rather than have it on the frame.)

Thx for any help
    Andrew

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  20. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Silicone spray i would imagine.