1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just question.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by glow-monkey, Apr 26, 2008.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

I was thinking of getting webers for glomo, although after the run to Eden have decided I actually have a damn good and fast engine so dont need to waste the money. My question though is this, I want to tidy the engine bay up, Ive already removed the heater fan and piping, and love how the engine bay looks with the seperate paper filters on the carbs (eg Berts engine bay) rather than the horrible huge plastic box of the standard filter, can you get these filters to suit the solex's I havent ever seen them?

2. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

no mr glowmo but you'se being the ingenuity kind of guy you is i am sure you could fabricate up a couple of tubes/velocity stacks (about 75mm high) and get a pair of unifilter air socks and match it all up to the carbi openings there about 60mm outer diameter (i wonder how i know that?) the only problem you then have is you have to vent your oil breather tube into the carbies somehow. but i am sure you will come up with something, of course the other problem you will have is that your central idleing system will be compromised (take a good look at the air filter and you will see the tube coming from the left hand carbi. it is possible to do away with all of that hokus pokus and simple make the solexes behave like a pair of kadrons which is basically what they are (all be it a little tightish in the venturies) and if you accomplish all of that you will have a particularly clean looking engine bay that is a pleasure to work in and although it will take some time to rearrange things it will work out a lot cheaper than installing a set of webers.
    all the best with it
    john

3. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

looking thru the engine bay , you can see i have deleted the std air filter
    i made a cross over pipe between the two carburettors performance is amazing
    as it has increased the ammount of air flow into the carburettors
    if you look up volumetric efficency on google thats why i did it plus learning it at trade school many moons ago

looking from above rhs thou
    [​IMG]

4. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Thanks guys, I will definitely look into it, Im pretty certain I dont have the central idle crud anyway, as jacquis mechanic was talking to me about glomo being arranged so i would be having to seperately adjust each carby as opposed to the way it is normally set up. Tom that looks like a nce way to do it, next time I see you I will definitely poke my head in if you dont mind, (if i dont get impatient and go ahead with it before i ever see you again.)